Random thought about Homebrew Channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by skroooagh, Jun 17, 2008.

Jun 17, 2008
  1. skroooagh
    OP

Member skroooagh GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yknow how people are worried about Nintendo finding out people are using the Homebrew Channel due to that log dealio? Well, couldn't you just change the name of the channel so the Wii logs it as "News Channel" or some other legitimate channel? Makes sense to me... then again, what the hell do I know.

2. abort_user

Newcomer abort_user Member

United States
    i was thinking about this the other last night. they might use it as a way to identify the homebrew channel to remove it (since they removed the twilight hack). but whatever, im sending my wii in for repair. i doubt they will do anything about my logs.

3. Inisha

Newcomer Inisha Member

Canada
    homebrew is my news channel [​IMG]

4. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, if all the code within the product is different to the actual News/Weather Channel, it would be easy to tell. If they use an update to just scan the header/title, that would do it. But if they have some common sense, they'll scan other bits of the channels to check for legitimacy. Like for the TP hack, they didn't just scan the title, they scanned 2 bits in the code of the save file.
    So, it seems a bit pointless.

5. skroooagh
    OP

Member skroooagh GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Well, that's all I think Nintendo are doing - reading the system logs that you can voluntatily send them via the Nintendo Channel and just taking note of what's listed there and how long it's used. It just seems like too much of a coincidence that as soon as the Homebrew Channel proliferates, Nintendo suddenly wakes up and finds a patch, and I tend to think that the system logs have something to do with it. Maybe they are reading something different, or maybe this is all just a coincidence, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious, I guess.

6. HJBSCX

Newcomer HJBSCX Member

Germany
    Why not call it "screw you, Nintendochannel"