Hardware Random questions i have about the Nintendo 3DS.

AliceCE

Rookie 3DS Homebrew Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Can the ram be upgraded in any way?
- In addition to the above, Could the 3ds actually run better with faster and larger ram? (even if just homebrew, this applies to literally anything on the 3DS.)
- What would happen if a 3DS's screen was replaced with a DSI's? (Even if the cable isn't compatible, what would happen if it could connect anyways? would the image be messed up and warped? If it would be, how so?)

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Can the ram be upgraded in any way?
- In addition to the above, Could the 3ds actually run better with faster and larger ram? (even if just homebrew, this applies to literally anything on the 3DS.)
- What would happen if a 3DS's screen was replaced with a DSI's? (Even if the cable isn't compatible, what would happen if it could connect anyways? would the image be messed up and warped? If it would be, how so?)

No can't be done
No can't be done
No can't be done

AliceCE

Rookie 3DS Homebrew Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
latest

Insert loud vocal assertion of disappointment here

Last edited by AliceCE,

yaum

Trophies
XP
Country
France
latest

Insert loud vocal assertion of disappointment here
Yup, this is the case for a lot of consoles around here... Playstations, switch, DS/3DS...
There are some exceptions like for GameBoy (backlight), GameGear (LCD screen upgrade), but those are very specific mods with a step change. There is no such thing for 3DS :(

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm pretty sure the new 3DS models have more memory than the old models, when I was writing some simple homebrew programs for the 3DS I could allocate a lot more memory on my new 3DS than on my old 2DS.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the new 3DS models have more memory than the old models, when I was writing some simple homebrew programs for the 3DS I could allocate a lot more memory on my new 3DS than on my old 2DS.
Yep

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
More details on 3DBrew
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Memory_layout#Physical_Memory

The new series has overall better hardware specs. Homebrew like emulators profits from the better CPU.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

yaum

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@MakeMake : have a look at this, which is describing the inner parts of the (sorry) old 3DS, and you'll quickly understand the difficulties you're going to face.
  • Full teardown of 3DS
  • Parts references (you'll find most references for FCRAM)

excerpts from the above sites
Ram location: in order to even have a look at it, you'll have to remove the card reader.
nintendo-3ds-pictures-51.jpg

Flash memory location
nintendo-3ds-pictures-52.jpg

Each of these components will have to be soldered if you want to replace them. They're using BGA package, which means you'll have to use this method to solder it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder_ball

And last but nor least, the OS within the 3DS will most probably not be able to use a different component, or use a higher volume of RAM available. That's why we're saying it's not feasible, at least not without a huge amount of effort and hardware available (and bringing near to nil benefit)

Reactions: fmkid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)