Homebrew Random question for homebrew developers re FTBrony/FTP-3DS/similar apps.

Insidious611

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For background, I'm a programmer who has some experience with programming on Windows, Android, Linux, and a bit of SNES ASM. I've been using FTP-3DS (and before that FTBrony) a lot, and while they're very decent FTP servers I've noticed the file transfer speeds are really quite low (somewhere around 128KB/s max). Would it be worthwhile as a developer for me to look into coding something faster, or is there something about the 3DS (processing speeds, Wi-Fi, SD reader, something else perhaps to do with what's accessible from the HBL) that's preventing these FTP servers from reaching good speeds?

HeyItsJono

Breath of Fresh Heir
Trophies
XP
Country
I remember reading somewhere on here that it was actually a limitation of the 3DS that caused the slow speeds (although I can't remember which thread it was, or what the actual limitation was). If you can figure out how to get faster speeds though, I'd love you for it. It's not really a big deal for small files like .lua's or .jpg's but transferring rom hacks or .cia's basically requires you to put your SD into your computer.

Reactions: DesuIsSparta

Insidious611

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's exactly why I'm interested in seeing if I can push the speeds even a little bit higher. Even 1MB/s would be nice. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's a limitation of the 3DS itself, just wanted confirmation before I wasted my time.

HeyItsJono

Breath of Fresh Heir
Trophies
XP
Country
I found the quote I read about it:
I transferred a 115MB CIA file, took about 8-10 minutes to complete. Didn't note the transfer speed because I knew it would be slow. Honestly, the 3DS has really bad wifi speeds, so that is what the limiting factor will be. And FTP has a lot of TCP overhead as well.

Apparently the alternative is using Nintendo's own microSD management app via System Settings (or standalone app if you're on a 9.2 firmware). I might look into using it, maybe it'll be faster.

Insidious611

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took me a bit to find the US CFW one of that, since it's not in the thread (EUR and JP versions are) and I have a 2DS and therefore it's not part of my system settings, but it's working great now that I've done such, for me and my SO. About 7x faster. I'm still interested to see if I can do better, but it's definitely a good start.

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a hardware issue. Both the wifi and sd reading/writing are terribly slow. But in this case, it's the wifi that's the bottleneck. I mean, you could get it working a little faster probably, but not much.

Last edited by TheCruel,
Reactions: DesuIsSparta

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: shit like goku mui and beerus and other dbs stuff lmao