Random lockups after hacking Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gene0915, Jun 25, 2009.

Jun 25, 2009
  1. gene0915

Newcomer gene0915 Advanced Member

Apr 6, 2008
    United States
    I hacked my 3.2U Wii a LONG time ago and have all sorts of cIOS files installed, USB loaders, did the hacked 4.0 upgrade, the works. No problems. Now a friend of mine brought me his Wii to software mod and having a LITTLE bit of a problem.

He had 3.3U firmware. The Ultimate 4 guide on here failed me. He kept getting "ret error 2011" while attempting the first step. I dug around and on another site, found steps that got us over this hump (had to install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad via WAD Manager 1.4, used Custom Wad Manager 1.3 to install cIOS-fix.wad) then I switched back to the Ultimate 4 guide on here and got him upgraded to 4.0, BootMii, etc. Installed a WAD file to make sure it's good, used USB Loader GX, all is well. BUT, every NOW AND THEN, if he goes into the SD menu from the 4.0 main screen, plays a VC title, jumps back to the main screen and loads HBC, maybe 30-40% of the time, his Wii will lock up as it loads HBC. The Wii-mote dies and the screen stays black. Some times it will lock up if he goes to play a copied VC game from the main channel listing (a VC game that hasn't been copied to the SD card yet). Let me back up a little though. After we did the big upgrade, all of a sudden, Wiifit (which never prompted for a system update while he was on 3.3U) all of a sudden said he needed an update. I did another backup of the nand and proceeded to update. After the update, everything looks the same and the lock ups when playing VC games from the main menu or loading the HBC seemed to drop off to doing it only 30% of the time. On my 3.2U Wii, I put Wii fit on there after it was upgraded to the hacked 4.0 firmware and it never prompted me for an update so I'm at a loss as to what it did to the Wii since it was already upgraded to the hacked 4.0 menu. I don't have ANY of these weird lockup issues like he is having. I mean, the lock ups aren't constant but just enough to annoy the hell out of you.

Any suggestions?