Rampant Piracy May be to Blame for PSN Downtime

Annieone23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to add my two cents, I frequent psx-scene quite a bit and that definitely feels like a post Chesh would make to me. Im not prescient so I dont know, but I think it is him. Also he is a moderator, and psx-scene is very reputable + been around for ever. So if this is what they think, then I am pretty darn inclined to believe it. I used f*ckpsn and rebug though haha, hope im not banned. Never did the dev server stuff though, that is super recent and I dont care about online enough.

its amazing how fickle the ps3 homebrew community is. "I know I can conceivably never pay for another ps3 game again along with tons of other neat homebrew, but I cant play COD so the ps3 scene is dead and all the hackers suck and are in a conspiracy against us" is basically how it works. Now they are stooping as low as stealing PSN downloadables, thats low and also ruins it for all the legit ps3 people who havent updated yet want to use the psn from time to time. boo :/

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are mere speculations and Sony should Squash these rumors and reveal more info on what happened. But as long as their name stays out of the flames of these rumors, they're not going to do that...

Annieone23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So true darkseed. This is all speculation, and nothing more. After reading your post I now wonder if the mere fact that Sony is content to have us speculating about every possible cause except personal Sony error means it might just be all Sony's fault! This is how conspiracy theories are born heh >.>;

The outcry that would ensue if this turned out to be Sony's own fault would be ghastly. Lucky I'm a Ninty fan and not a Sony fan cuz I would seriously be wondering about their company now. PS3 hacked wide open, PSN and possibly credit cards compromised, lost and ensuring lawsuits (which are costly either way) with everyone from LG to script-kiddies worldwide! Im surprised none of the "news" sites like Kotaku have posted an article questioning Sony's future, despite how baseless the claims. Even having nothing to base this off other than outsider observations, the evidence can lead to some pretty damaging lines of thought.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lol, with all these "fun" events happening around with Sony, makes me wonder "Do they really deserve all this?" I know I hate them, but....
unsure.gif
everyone has a soft point in their heart.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Credit Card fraud is illegal and bad practice, not good at all. Piracy is one thing, getting free stuff from (insert piracy site here) is ok but fraud is uncalled for.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jaxxster said:
This sort of stuff is why the ps scene is such a fail! Its never been anything but piracy! Full of idiots like geohot and Math who do nothing useful at all!
Huh? Care to explain?
Or are you just reading a bullshit story based on speculation and that is wholly wrong so you can erage over Geohot?

(Spoiler: This story (and story fits since it's made up) has NOTHING to do with Piracy despite the dumbass "author" of the article saying so.)

Eckin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
blizzard had/has (I don't know if they fixed it, but it was up for more than a month) an exploit on their european site that allow/ed this kind of fraud. A lot of people got free crap on WoW and some legit games/keys from their site. They were informed about it less than a week after someone found out.

but you never heard about battle.net going down for a week to fix this exploit, did you?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Credit cards aren't compromised. The guy's saying that Dev units weren't checked normally when making purchases, so they could put in bullshit credit info and still be granted a purchase, getting the stuff for free. This is NOT them using other people's credit cards.

Why Sony has to take the entire network down for days is likely not this single issue, this is just a catalyst, they're using this to take the time to restructure.

Also this.

SlackerInside said:
Me: now that sounds very much like sony
Friend: yep, shut down the whole system because a small group of people can get stuff for free.
tongue.gif

I'm not aware how many Dev units there are, but last I checked there weren't nearly enough in the wild (let alone owners of them that would actually do this) to count as "rampant".

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The weird thing is on the actual forum, which I frequent, there's literally no mention of this. It's odd for a 'former' admin to talk about it while on the actual board itself for the topic to be silent.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
jaxxster said:
This sort of stuff is why the ps scene is such a fail! Its never been anything but piracy! Full of idiots like geohot and Math who do nothing useful at all!
Huh? Care to explain?
Or are you just reading a bullshit story based on speculation and that is wholly wrong so you can erage over Geohot?

(Spoiler: This story (and story fits since it's made up) has NOTHING to do with Piracy despite the dumbass "author" of the article saying so.)

Geohot does nothing if it doesnt somehow help him out in fame/money. Math just sits there going "haha you noobs havent hacked 3.60 when i've had it hacked the day it came out but i aint giving anything to the scene"

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RoboticBuddy said:
Aw, I wish i had CFW now... I want "free" games!
tongue.gif

Also, this: http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/
QUOTEChen Kang
63 Marietta Street
San Rafael, CA 94901

Phone:
707-603-7812
Moteldoctor.com
Email Address:
[email protected]
This is a real email address. Click here to use it!
Password:
Fur6wa2eMi
Mother's Maiden name:
Tao
Birthday:
August 26, 1928 (82 years old)
Visa:
4532 7298 1123 3363
Expires:
7/2013
SSN:
614-27-5965
You should click here to find out if your SSN is online.
Oceanographer
UPS Tracking Number:
1Z E37 Y04 38 0087 534 7
Blood type:
A+
Weight:
226.2 pounds (102.8 kilograms)
Height:
5' 6" (168 centimeters
lol

Annieone23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama, there was something posted there, and it was on the front page no-less. But it quickly disappeared, and I dont know why.

I frequent that site too, and its great for ps-scene stuff, but MAN they have the wackiest forum layouts and worst news submission policy. I liked it so much better when they had user-submitted news like this (AWESOME) site. Now its all cloak-and-daggers, whats news what isnt, and their isnt really a good place to discuss anything outside of specific ps3 homebrew problems. It sucks, in short.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: