Ram memory

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Digeman, Oct 27, 2007.

Oct 27, 2007

Ram memory by Digeman at 7:25 PM (998 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Hello fellow tempers! Well i'm in a pickle right now...decided to buy a 1 gig ram for my computer and put it in myself xD Anyways, i get home, open up the computer and tried to put it in the black slot (got 2 black and 2 biege and the biege were already taken =P ) But it didn't work even though I pushed pretty hard...then I noticed that the black one's "hinges" or whatever they're called...the things one the sides that snap it in place...were different than the biege ones...so I was like "hmm...i'll try putting it in one of those biege ones". So i remove one of the rams in place and then try to put the new one in there...well it didn't work there either (even though i pushed really hard this time xD) So i try putting the old one back into place, but it's really really tough and i'm pushing down really really hard to the point that i'm afraid that it might break ....anyways got a couple of problems really, first of...any ideas on how to actually put the damn thing in place? And does the different hinge thing have any significance whatsoever?

Any help is really apreciated and the quicker the better [​IMG]

Edit: Btw the two rams that i had before in the biege slots were DDR 2 rams [​IMG] And the new one is a DDR 2 ram aswell [​IMG]

2. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    C'mon people i'm panicking over here! [​IMG]

3. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    im sorry i have a mac

4. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Flip it over? The seperation between contacts isn't in the middle. It can only go in one way.

5. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    You usually have to push pretty hard, try looking to see if the pins line up with the contacts.

- Sam

6. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Yeah it's pretty obvious which way it's supposed to go in, still can't get the damn thing in [​IMG]

7. elfgirl_45

Member elfgirl_45 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Are you sure you got the right type of memory? Regardless, memory is usually a pain in the butt to get in if you dont get it just right. A lot of times you have to kind of force it, then push in the little brackets to hook/lock it in place.

8. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Well i finally got the new ram i bought in (had to use my cousins help to get the damn thing in)...so now i've got 1,5 gig ram...but i haven't been able to get the remaining 512 mb ram in one of the other black ones (with different "hinges" or whatever)....are those for ddr1 then or?

9. ZeminkoX

Member ZeminkoX GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    So in your two beige slots you have 1x1GB and 1x512MB? Does the 1GB fit in any of the black slots? If so why not put it there and leave the two 512MBs in the beige channel? Or am I not understanding you correctly? [​IMG]

RAM is a right bitch to plug in maybe you just aren't lining it up correctly. I doubt there is any difference between the black and beige slots, unless your computer is really old (DDR1) or really new (DDR3).

10. KarmaUK

Member KarmaUK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Assuming they're meant to fit, it's not hard to install, open both brackets either end, line the RAM up so it has a little play and both ends are inside the DIMM slot, then push on both ends with even pressure until the brackets close around the RAM and you hear a click.

Most DDR2 boards have 4 DIMMs, in your case the black should be one dual channel, the beige another and should all hold upto 4GB DDR2 modules in each slot, so any matched pair should fit in either channel. Saying that, motherboard and RAM info would go along way here... [​IMG]

I don't think I've ever heard of a motherboard that supports more than one type of RAM.

11. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

The black ones probably are ddr 1