Gaming RAM issues

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a new 1GB RAM module from wal-mart, its a low profile kingston value ram...ddr2 667. my mobo supports up to 800 and currently i have a 1GB 800mhz ram stick in there, computer runs fine, just not enough memory to handle what i do. so ive dealt with it long enough, its time to buy new memory.

i get home from work, thinking this will be great, my desktop will be like my laptop now (but my desktop has core2quad). anyway installed the new memory module, and nothing, no image on the monitor. it beeps like normal when POST happens. so i said oh crap this is a problem. double checked the seating of the module and i don't think i had it plugged in all the way. so i resat the new one, still nothing, removed the new one, STILL nothing. tried just the new one, STILL nothing! I just bought a new mobo but does anyone have any suggestions?

is it possible my mistake of not seating in all the way in caused this?
is it possible that the ram killed my mobo?

ive cleared cmos, using the jumper and the battery. i read that removing the processor for a minute can help, did nothing. i read somewhere else to unplug all power to mobo, from wall socket and remove the battery let it sit for 10 mins and try again. but i have a feeling this isn't going to work either. i'm lucky i have a laptop right now! thanks for any answers.

this is my mobo by the way, http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2714, been running great for a while now probably around 2 years

mattsaysfooey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do the ram type of the first and the new one match?

What does the format and frequency say on each?

Did you try it WITHOUT the new one and just the old one to see if it completes POST with no problems?

If they match - In format and frequency then maybe you received a bad stick?

If you complete POST with no problems with just the old stick that may be the case or a mismatch.

Mismatch check and old stick only check then trouble shoot from there?

EDIT I usually tend to question the component quality from effing walmart lmao

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The beeping is from faulty RAM, shouldn't be a problem from your mobo, but MAYBE the new ram you bought, try putting it in firmly in place, or try another slot.

mattsaysfooey said:
Do the ram type of the first and the new one match?

What does the format and frequency say on each?

Did you try it WITHOUT the new one and just the old one to see if it completes POST with no problems?

^^ the way i get it, and from perosnally trying it, RAM, with different brands or makes of ram in the same PC still work, no trouble. Can't confirm about the frequency, but still yet again, doubt that that's the problem. Either

a. like i said, you insert the ram correctly, or maybe even in the wrong place

b. faulty RAM, as you said.

Please try turning on your PC without the new ram installed.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive tried all of the above, the memory is compatible with each other and my motherboard supports both. from what i've gathered it was because i didn't seat it properly. i'm hoping it just damaged my memory slots and nothing else. i'm buying a new motherboard so i guess we shall see what happens. i tried with new ram, old ram, both, and interchanged the slots for each one. i even exchanged the ram for a new one, just in case it was that original new ram stick that was bad and to rule out my old ram stick as the issue. it has to be the motherboard

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good news my mobo is under warranty so hopefully they will fix it. if i get in back in time, ill just return the new one and hopefully it'll be a little cheaper than expected

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahh and the final verdict is in...

my lcd monitor crapped out!

i got my new motherboard plugged her up and again nothing! i started to panic and removed hardware one at a time, and then it struck to try the monitor, so i pulled out the old 12" crt i have for backup/repair purposes and sure enough it boots.

moral of the story check the monitor first!

could have saved me $50 and a day's pay.

anyone know any tricks to repair this monitor? i know its probably a lost cause, but anything is worth a shot. i tried changing power cords, changing vga cables, leaving it unplugged for a little while then trying again...it does have a dvi port on the monitor, anyone think its possible that the vga port went and dvi might work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.