Rainway now available on Android TV, with a launch on Apple and Amazon Fire TV to follow

Streaming continues to grow in the gaming world, as Rainway launches on new platforms. As of today, Rainway is now available on Android TV, with a release for Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV operating systems planned soon. Much like Steam In-Home streaming or Moonlight, Rainway is a streaming app that lets you play your games remotely on another device. You might remember the name from a few years ago, when Rainway was planned for the Nintendo Switch, which would have given players the option to stream their PC games to their Switch consoles without any homebrew software. However, Nintendo reportedly wouldn't allow for such a thing, and the attempted release was cancelled.

Rainway is the first true extension of PC Gaming to hit your living room. Unlike its competitors, Rainway allows gamers to play all of their favorite PC titles, regardless of storefront, on their TVs with full controller support. Armed with a good internet connection, Rainway allows players to take their entire PC library with them wherever they go, even on vacation, on work travel, or even just out in the backyard during some good ol’ fashioned social distancing.

“Thanks to the monumental effort of the Rainway team, we are ecstatic to announce that the Rainway for TV app is launching on Android TV followed by Apple TV and Fire TV,” said CEO Andrew Sampson. “This milestone holds true to our vision of breaking down barriers preventing gamers from playing games they own in the way they want to play them. With this launch, Rainway is now available in every room of your house and on the go.”

Rainway users will have access to Android TV today, for free. Apple TV and Fire TV are coming soon. Make sure your home computer has Rainway set up and you have some games in your dashboard. If not, download Rainway and follow the instructions. All you need to do is download the Rainway for TV app to your preferred hardware, connect it to your Rainway dashboard and get playing!

Download via Rainway.com

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
doesn't the steam mobile app have a feature like this already?
Yep, Steam Link has been supported on Android/iOS for ages now, and Nvidia's game streaming has been available on basically everything for years now, thanks to Moonlight. I think it even had a Switch client too at one point but it needed access to hardware video decoder which wasn't available for homebrew at the time when it released.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
After Rainway pulled that stunt where they hyped everyone for a Switch release just to have no plans on actually releasing anything, I will be ignoring this along with anything Rainway accomplishes.
I mean, it's not like they showed off the Switch thing and then just said "LOL NOPE WE'RE NOT ACTUALLY DOING IT", Nintendo simply did not approve the release of the app. Not really much they can do about that since they want to be 100% legit with the thing. They were literally ready to launch it but Nintendo said no, so they dropped it.

Rudy69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, it's not like they showed off the Switch thing and then just said "LOL NOPE WE'RE NOT ACTUALLY DOING IT", Nintendo simply did not approve the release of the app. Not really much they can do about that since they want to be 100% legit with the thing. They were literally ready to launch it but Nintendo said no, so they dropped it.
I'm pretty sure most people knew that Nintendo wasn't going to let that happen. But a lot of people were hopeful since they were hyping it up. If they really did have it working they should have released it as a homebrew for 'advanced' users.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

according to this article, they already had it on the backburner before even getting any hard answers from Nintendo then proceeds to dodge the question on if they are in talks with Nintendo
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...switch_and_clearing_the_air_over_that_trailer
after this, nothing else was posted about any updates on progress on the Switch after this article,

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After Rainway pulled that stunt where they hyped everyone for a Switch release just to have no plans on actually releasing anything, I will be ignoring this along with anything Rainway accomplishes.
I think it got squash with the idea of Xbox Live and also Play Station might come Nintendo is known for last minute deals, it was year one when Switch had just a handful of games , and the app was shown off by (Andrew) Rainway was doing a great job with it.

hopefully for them being on AndroidTV and IOS they will gain a user base

Brayton1-7

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
United States

Streaming continues to grow in the gaming world, as Rainway launches on new platforms. As of today, Rainway is now available on Android TV, with a release for Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV operating systems planned soon. Much like Steam In-Home streaming or Moonlight, Rainway is a streaming app that lets you play your games remotely on another device. You might remember the name from a few years ago, when Rainway was planned for the Nintendo Switch, which would have given players the option to stream their PC games to their Switch consoles without any homebrew software. However, Nintendo reportedly wouldn't allow for such a thing, and the attempted release was cancelled.

I just use Shadow. I don't even have to have my own PC, it's VR capable, but I do have to pay $15 a month, so it's not free.

D

Deleted User

Shame Nintendo won't allow it. Would have been nice for people without hackable units (pre-SX-Core).

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, parsec works well enough for me. Darn shame it isn't coming to console is that's the only thing it had going for it in my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.