Rainway - a way to play PC games on Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by DiscostewSM, Apr 24, 2017.

1. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...eet_rainway_from_the_developer_of_borderless/
    Digging into the thread, the dev says it would be coming via eShop, so not a hack, but an actual app. The dev is the one who made the Borderless Gaming program on Steam.

2. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Oh god! We'll have Spelunky HD on Switch. Looks like NS for the win.
    ------
    Would also find it funny, in a somber way, if this is the precursor to hacks.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire, Apr 24, 2017
    SLiV3R likes this.
  3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    will nintendo approve this on the eshop though?

Deboog and ElijahZAwesome like this.
  4. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    The entire thing sparked from another reddit page about the Witcher 3 on an S8 Plus via Moonlight, an open source implementation of Nvidia's GameStream protocol. Rainway is designed for use with all GPUs, not just Nvidia.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...the_witcher_3_to_my_s8_plus_it_works/dgnswkk/

I'd imagine that he wouldn't have said anything regarding the eShop if Nintendo didn't already approve, and he said it'll be free. I spoke too soon on that. The app that streams to the devices may be free, but the app on eShop to receive the stream may not.

Last edited by DiscostewSM, Apr 24, 2017
    ElijahZAwesome likes this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    the switch will blow up if it tries to even stream Witcher 3 :lol:

6. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Well, it's a video stream that you can send input back through. Basically, your Switch will be like the Wii U Gamepad.......wait....I wonder........Cemu, and using the Switch itself like a Wii U Gamepad.....

7. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Doesn't work that way lol, streaming is pretty light on resource usage. Shield TV will stream any PC game up to 4K, and it's the same chip inside Switch.

This app is a really good idea, my Switch library would instantly go from six games to over a thousand. :yayswitch:

Last edited by Xzi, Apr 24, 2017
  8. Azure_Kytia

Azure_Kytia Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    Very interesting. If true, I'm kinda surprised Nintendo is allowing it to launch on the Switch as it'll essentially undercut their store for a lot of games with PC ports now and in the future. I guess there's always the first-party games to make their money from though and I can't say I'm not looking forward to being able to play all my PC games from bed.

9. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    If this actually happens, i might have to sell a kidney so i can buy a switch XD

Risingdawn likes this.
  10. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Cockney tempa

May 22, 2010
    United States
    If this actually happens, I'll buy your kidney so you can buy a Switch!

(This comment is not legally binding and no kidneys where harmed in the making of this post)

jt_1258, nxwing, GamingAori and 6 others like this.
  11. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Spelunker World is on the Switch already.

12. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    Kidney is in the mail, should arrive Soon......-Team GateWait

13. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    What'll happen first, Playing the PC version of Yooka Laylee on Switch, or the Switch version of Yooka Laylee on Switch?

14. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Cockney tempa

May 22, 2010
    United States
    I got to admit I don't see Nintendo releasing this app on Eshop :(. As it stands we have zero Apps available and, well it doesnt sound like a very Nintendo thing to do.

However Rainway apparently works without an app through your web browser, any browser apparantly. I'm wondering if @Suso_
    @shinyquagsire23
    and the guys at pegaswitch @shutterbug2000
    Might be able, in the future at least, be our saving grace when it comes to seeing Rainway working on Switch.

I could be wrong and we could see Rainway app, but I'm not optimistic tbh.

natanelho likes this.
  15. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    I have to ask: is usual for developers to announce an app for a virtual shop? I mean, I know Nintendo said nothing about it, but if the creator said it it'd be because it's all already set up, am I wrong?

16. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    I hope this gets the approval of Nintendo. It would definitely boost the sales of Switch. You can stream and play PC games. How cool is that? Yeah, I know you can do it with android, vita, nvidia shield, etc. but the more system, the more fun it is. Everybody wins. I don't mind getting one as long as it performs well. It'll obviously help Nintendo and the developer of this application. I also hoped it works on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs.

17. death360

death360 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Sounds really interesting will try it out.

18. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Cockney tempa

May 22, 2010
    United States
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...pc_games_to_consoles_like_the_nintendo_switch
    There's an article on it, it doesn't sound like a certainty yet, let's hope so though.

If not I'm hoping we may still get to see this working through our browser at some point, if that's through an official Switch browser or through staying on 2.0.0 for now remains to be seen.

I'd stay on 2.0.0 for now if you're interested in this untill we hear something official.

19. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Tuvalu
    wow sounds too good to be true! if it can run even 720p at 30fps i'll be happy, lol java minecraft on the switch / mobile sounds super cool! tho doesnt sound like nintendo'll approve it on switch's eshop... im 80% sure wont happen for the switch but if it will- everybody will get their 3rd party support on switch and be happy... but, like, if I will get it from eshop then I surely wont buy minecraft switch edition and it will hurt ninty's pocket... (I almost surely wont buy console shitty minecraft anyways but y'kno...) on the other hand this will require good network and a pc with u so not as portable as a nintendo port running directly so it can be a reason for ppl to still buy switch's port of things.. so maybe (maybe) it will go on eshop...

and its interesting to see what comes first- playing switch on pc (emulator) or pc on switch (with this)...

20. vinipeix

vinipeix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2015
    Brazil
    Oh this is a very nice thing
    But it won't work for everyone I think
    I'm sure that with the internet speed we have in my country it would be a crappy experience
    Not complaining tho, this is a great addition