Ragnarok Online DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by CockroachMan, Jul 4, 2007.

Jul 4, 2007

Ragnarok Online DS by CockroachMan at 12:41 PM (2,374 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. CockroachMan
    OP

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Ragnarok Online is getting a DS version in 2008.

from: http://www.jeux-france.com/news20725_ragna...ds-annonce.html

Maple Story is also coming to the DS later this year.. so, 2 MMORPGs for the DS.
    Seems like Nintendo is trying to conquer Korea [​IMG]

2. onewing

Newcomer onewing Member

Canada
    So, do we know if the game is going to be korean only, or is there a chance of an english release?

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Dunno, but if it's online only, I wouldn't bother with it anyway.

4. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    From what I've seen of maple story, it's not going to be a MMORPG. We need a MMORPG, but I don't the the DS is good enough to handle one to be honest. You need a constant decent internet connection, the DS seems to struggle with that.

5. intet

Newcomer intet Member

Sweden
    I need an MMORPG like I need AIDS.

6. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Okay, I'm sure that the nintendo development team will make sure they call you to find out what you do want in the future. How dare they consider making a game that you don't want/need =(

7. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    EDIT: Never mind this post... firefox messed up with my tabs [​IMG]

8. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    Ragnarok Online is my favorite MMORPG of all time, but a DS version doesn't interest me. Makes me remember the mobile Ragnarok games [​IMG]

9. Deadmon

Member Deadmon A Temper

Canada
    Ah...RO...it'll probably be totally online though.
    Can't believe I spent 4 years playing it >_>

10. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    There aint even screens of Ragnarok Online DS dude
    I also thought Transformers DS was for kiddies/and would be stupid.. Total mistake

11. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    This is going to be Japanese release I suspect.
    Gravity (Korean software company that made Ragnarok Online for PC) has sold 51% of their share to Gung Ho Entertainment (Japanese company that has far inferior game making experience compared to Gravity but this is personal opinion)
    And the fact Rag-On is a big hit in Japan (They also got "Ninja" class. I don't remember seeing it in original comics -but I'm not very up to date on Rag comics-)

So Gung Ho Entertainment will publish RO DS, probably programmed by Gravity.

Honestly I give Maple Story 0.5 stars... [spoilers]out of 100[/spoilers]
    But RO gets 4.5 stars out of 5 from me.

Hopefully GHE decides to publish Korean version as well, I want Gravity to make RO. If it were Gravity's sole project then you're pretty much guaranteed to get Korean/Japanese/North American/European versions (Well, Gravity has branches in all 4 regions so shouldn't be a big deal)
    But now GHE bought Gravity and quite a lot of staffs were replaced to Japanese. I'm not sure if GHE will offer all localizations. Hope they do. Don't be so damn selfish to have only Japanese version out.

If the game is decent, I don't care which language. 2 MMORPGs won't do justice to dominating Korean market. Maple Story would attract a lot of kiddies, MS is THE game that can give people the impression of "DS is for kiddies". At least the PC version is for kiddies, what makes you think DS version wouldn't be?

RO, however, attracts people from various ages and surprisingly large number of females. This can be dominating, a killer soft for DS.

12. deathfisaro

Canada
    double post
    and that spoilers tag is just to emphasise how bad my MS experience was

13. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    somehow i just remembered that there was a projekt for GBA some years ago ... hopefully now we will really get a Ro online for DS [​IMG]

14. rashef

Member rashef GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    OFFTOPIC'a'bit:Saying that 2 MMORPGs won't do justice on korean market when RO & NDS is involved in one sentence is just like... uh... saying that fifa would be good if the ball was not in it [​IMG]

ONTOPIC : I'd actually like that this Ragnarok Online would actually be without the "online" part and instead it would offer a nice singleplayer story :/, I've been waiting for another good jRPG game since the days if Magical Starsign.

15. deathfisaro

Canada
    I played RO korean server from its beta days. I even had a 99 Swordsman before RO had a server in North America (And there weren't any 2nd classes by the time I got 99)
    And still played like 3 years on RO North America after it got all the updates.
    But I'm pending judgement until I actually see it because of Gung Ho.

Strictly speaking RO is a Japanese game franchise now. So Korean users wouldn't have that "Our own DS game" feel to it anymore. And since RO2 is doing shit as well (If you haven't tried it, I can assure you it's not worth the effort to get a Korean ID number just to play this. Unless you are hardcore Ragnarok fan and don't care about game quality) I can't say RODS will sell unless it's quality is good.

So that makes Maple Story the only real Korean game announced so far. Don't think that will own, unless MSDS has some "Wow" grade improvements.
    Even if both MS and RO gets Korean DS release, I predict MS will sell more and disappoint too many people, and once people are fooled it's harder to bring them back.

Nintendo Korea's focusing so much on light users, (Tetris DS is a "NEW RELEASE" coming in 2 days) All they got is racing, arcade, puzzle and pet games.
    So if RO turns out to be great, more hardwares will sell attracting hardcore gamers, and it will lay hands on light users and female users as well given that it's not RO2 quality.

Okay I can't summarize my post, I'm sick and can't think.

16. Deadmon

Member Deadmon A Temper

Canada
    Ah darn, RO2 isn't worth playing? Well yea, it completely changed from its roots..RO was awesome because it was still sprite based with 3D elements. RO2 looks like another Lineage/WoW in terms of appearance.

17. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
  18. Tokas

Member Tokas GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I would really love a RO-DS.

RO it "the" MMORPG imho. [​IMG]

19. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    [this post was removed by a moderator as it was too funny for the world to see]

20. cheapassdave

Member cheapassdave GBAtemp Regular

United States