Rage to be 3 disc on 360

tommyt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Rage will be three discs on Xbox 360 and an 8GB install on PlayStation 3, creative director Tim Willits has confirmed.

In an interview at this weekend's Eurogamer Expo, Willits told Digital Foundry about working
with Sony to make that size manageable.

"Sony was great. Kudos to Sony for letting us do that. They don't allow every game to do that.
So definitely, hats off," he said. "What we were able to do is install all the textures to the highest level.
What is nice about the PS3 platform is that it's just one platform. Everyone has one Blu-ray drive, one
hard drive, it's all the same. Some of the other systems you have... should I install it on my 360? Should I not install it? So yes, it's very nice."

As for Xbox 360, the game will span multiple discs, but Willits says not to worry about having space for all of them on your hard drive.

"We recommend installing the game to the hard drive, but you don't need to install all three discs," he said.
"If you don't have the space available on your hard drive, don't stress. Install the first disc, the first chapter, the first half of the
game, then when you're done, uninstall and install disc two. You don't really need to install the multiplayer disc if you're really tight
on hard disk space."

Source: IGN

tommyt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DarkStriker said:
Thought you were raging about how xbox is getting 3 disc and the awesomly ps3 is getting 1 disk only xD

I don't hate any console even though I have a PS3
nyanya.gif

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tommyt said:
"If you don't have the space available on your hard drive, don't stress. Install the first disc, the first chapter, the first half of the
game, then when you're done, uninstall and install disc two. You don't really need to install the multiplayer disc if you're really tight
on hard disk space."
All this to play one game?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GameWinner said:
tommyt said:
on hard disk space."

Next Gen, Bro.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
GameWinner said:
prowler_ said:
GameWinner said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 required you to install at every chapter.
Wait? On both PS3 and 360? If it's on 360 then those guys would be better off playing it elsewhere..
MGS4 is PS3 only....
Read it too fast, I thought you had the Metal Gear Solid Collection...

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
it seems like space is still an issue. i think thats the limitation of the hardware.
very good/graphical games cannot be handled efficiently and hence some sort of "forcing" is required such installing everything one by one

a game should be like on the ps2. one dvd for ff10 and 12 and u dont need to install anything.
ps1 was same but i guess the cd size was the limitation for some games like the ff titles (although i think they could have made it lesser dvds in one way or the other)

i dont quite understand the ps3 part. 8 GB total size for installation once correct?
even a blu-ray cannot handle the transfer rates. i agree they gave the ppl bigger hard disk specifically to address this issue of installation but what more do they want than the blu-ray? holographic discs?

but about the xbx, it is powerful as the ps3 but the hardware it accepts is still limited. seems like a ps1 issue with all those cds. matching console hardware with input media hardware requires longer planning.

One thing to learn, sony thinks about media more than xbx as MS relies more on the hard disk IMO.

bottomline - devs want multi platform but get limited by xbx storage mechanisms/media. sony is more flexible but still not as much as the devs are demanding.
Is it lack of knowledge on a better means of storage/media or is it just expensive? I believe the hardware being available to load better media would be expensive more than the media itself.

NOTE: they said holographic discs could store 500GB... thats a ps3 hard disk right there but at what transfer rate?

Is the installation necessary as it says
"We recommend installing the game to the hard drive, but you don't need to install all three discs"

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the game will be on the first two discs and multiplayer will be on the third disc? Doesn't sound as bad as it did when they first made the announcement.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
kevan said:
The 360 isn't as powerful as the PS3 is it?
I thought the PS3 had the hardware edge slightly.

Totally depends on WHAT you're referring too when you say the PS3 is powerful. Better graphics, yes, smoother performance, no. The problem isn't in the Blue-Ray format, it's that the drive speed on the ps3 is long outdated, and lags behind when dealing with such high capacity storage. The norm on commercial blue-ray players these days are like x6-x8, while the PS3 is like x2. So with DVDs, the max capacity being an iirc 9.5~ GB (that's with dual layer, and the new 360 capacity), you of course will need more of them for these bigger games than the much higher capacity blue ray; BUT with the higher capacity and inferior drive speed, installing is mandatory to function in a playable manner.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
shakirmoledina said:
NOTE: they said holographic discs could store 500GB... thats a ps3 hard disk right there but at what transfer rate?
Wikipedia says 6Tb O_O... is that true?

and also:

QUOTEInPhase Technologies was developing a rival holographic format called Tapestry Media, which they claim will eventually store 1.6 TB with a data transfer rate of 120 MB/s
is that also true?

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
"We recommend installing the game to the hard drive, but you don't need to install all three discs"
That's for the 360 version, not PS3. IIRC the only 360 game that has a mandatory install is Final Fantasy XI Online.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Install is most likely only to reduce loading time. As said before, it's not mandatory although depending on length of the loading times it may be.

Start Screen>First Cutscene>Loading Time 5 Minutes>Tutorial>Cutscene>Loading Time 5 Minutes

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fudge said:
shakirmoledina said:
That's for the 360 version, not PS3. IIRC the only 360 game that has a mandatory install is Final Fantasy XI Online.

there was a football manager game on the 360 that needed to be installed mandatory as well, but thats just nitpicking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.