RAGE AGainst the Machine Hate!

Austinz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My mate rekns rage are a band that mainly goughs like, that they sound whiny, and that they are depressing and not upbeat songs, and that all they do is whine . . well . . this world isnt perfect, maybe we need bands that release anger to help others, it probably reduces crime and all, your thoughts?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought they were a positive band, they were a band that stood up and wanted to be counted for what they believed in.

Others just sit at home moaning on a forum.

That's it I'm forming a band to sing about my disgust of DDI.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
they are just a whiny band.

They stood up for nothing - they were on a major label; nothing more than puppets selling music to the angry kids of the early 90's.

You can hardly shout about social justice and then go on to make massive profits for record exec scum (and becoming millionaires yourself - yay for equality .

See U2 for the european version of RATM.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Austinz said:
Sorry man can you please edit your above comment, you see my friend will see this and think his right which sickens me

So you don't want your friend to be right?

Hate to say it, but he is
tongue.gif
RATM is annoying to listen to. Honestly every song I've heard from them sounds like noise with completely garbage lyrics... but that's just me
tongue.gif

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Austinz said:
Sorry man can you please edit your above comment, you see my friend will see this and think his right which sickens me
That's because he IS right.

Try some Crass or Conflict (or even Atari Teenage Riot/old Dead Kennedys) if you want music with a message that didn't sell itself out to a major label.

Whats a gough btw? Goth? I don't know many goffs who listen to RATM - it was mostly grungers and a geggers who listened to them.

Slong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
I thought they were a positive band, they were a band that stood up and wanted to be counted for what they believed in.

Others just sit at home moaning on a forum.

That's it I'm forming a band to sing about my disgust of DDI.

They did indeed, and were (actively) involved in far more political issues than the majority of groups out there.
As far as music goes you can like or hate it, but they were far from being 'puppets'.

Regardless of their success RATM were trying to bring (important) issues to light.

Even if you don't like their music, at least get informed of what they have been fighting for:
Political Activism

More active involvement from other groups would impress me but I'm not seeing much of that these days.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want people to agree with you, simply ask the same question but in the opposite sense in /b/ and you'll get the answer you want.

If you want honest answers, you'll get them here.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Slong said:
As far as music goes you can like or hate it, but they were far from being 'puppets'.
So what would you call a group of people who sing about change but don't actually do anything to affect that change? Or about a group who sing about inequalities yet become millionaires. Totally socially active!!

Try looking up the anarcho-punk bands who actually did something - the ones out on the streets every night fighting real inequality and bigotry. Not a bunch of poseur-puppets making "the man" ever richer.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I find a few songs from RATM ok, but in the end I would not be sad with out their music.

If you want music with a real message then listen to Michael Franti & Spearhead.

Yell fire by Michael Franti & Spearhead is an amazing a CD with amazing meaning to the lyrics.

Some lyrics from Michael Franti and Spearhead - Light Up Ya Lighter:
Tell me president tell me if you will
How many people does a smart bomb kill?
How many of them do you think we got?
The general says we never miss shot
And we never ever ever keep a body count
We're killing so efficiently we can't keep count
In the afghan hills the rebels still fighting
Opium fields keep on providing
The best heroin that money can buy and
No body knows where Osama bin hiding
The press conferences keep on lying
Like we don't know

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
meh, controversy sells! If people just used normal lyrics it wouldnt be much but as soon as people are like omg, this band are singing some deep shit everyone goes out thier ways to listen to them.

For example, if eminem just rapped about normal shit like "the hood" and whatever then would he have made half the money he has now? I doubt it.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
jaxxster said:
meh, controversy sells!
Exactly - it was all posing; a way to exploit the kids better than the next band.

No different to Marilyn Manson or (as you say) Eminem.

Which is all OK if you realise what you are listening to isn't real and is merely a manufactured image - I like tracks from all 3 of the mentioned bands but take none of them seriously.

Manson especially is a complete tit - but he's made a few danceable pop-rock tracks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I didn't know they made an MSU cart for the Genesis.... I knew about the SNES one and the...