Racism

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
***Let's please share ideas in a polite way, this topic was solemnly to discuss a concept, nothing more***

Don't get me wrong, but I am yet to comprehend the concept of "racism". Talking with the few people I know here (native americans I mean), I've been told "racism" is the fact to actually pre judge a group of people only because how they look or the color of their skin.
First of all, I gotta say that I seriously think we are all human beings, we are all all equals in body and mind. While "equals" there is also the fact that physically each person is different, some are bald, fat, short, tall, skinny, etc. If there is a group of people in a line, and I have to refer to one of them, I will probably chose the most distinguishable feature to actually differentiate the person; but it seems tat some times doing that is considered racist, and I truly, deeply would like to know why?

I am aware that this country had some issues with slavery and a lot of people was discriminated just because of the color of their skin, there is anger and recent on their hearts, with good reason maybe, they sometimes were savagely treated like animals or worse.
But no one can deny that things are changing, no one can deny that, off course there are a lot issues to be resolved yet, but a progress is being made each day.
The problem is that, few people realize that new minorities are also suffering, although in not the same degree, from the so called "racism", with that in mind, the term kinda looses meaning to me, but while the concept if fully applicable to a modest Salvadorian worker that enters a Bloomingdale's store.
If you don't quite "get me", just watch the movie "Crash". And I'm not talking about Hispanic people only, but from all the new minorities.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with you. I find everyone the same, and treat everyone the same.

On another note, although I've lived in Canada for almost 5 years, I haven't encountered any racism toward the asians, but just lots of stereotypical statements, such as 'Asians are smarter than others'. Like most of Asians, I get that a lot.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IMO stereotypes come from truths that disappear after 2-3 generations. For example, if an adult Mexican comes to this country, most likely he won't know English, and not have proper schooling, therefor, he won't be able to get a good money making job. His children will be born poor, and may or may not get an education. Regardless, the second generation will learn English and get a better job, and then raise the third generation right by making them go to school, whereupon (yea I was amazed too when spell check didn't get that) they become successful, functioning members of society. Asians tend to come from cultures that put a good deal of worth on working hard (coupled with the trouble required to move here), which is then passed to the second generation, which then tries really hard at school, becoming really smart, but annoyed at their parents for doing so, therefor they raise their children at around a normal level. The third generation is also where most mixes occur, due to the fact that the second generation usually speaks English, further encouraging them to come close to the norm for the country.

I currently live in San Diego and go to a school that is ~45% Hispanic and ~20% Asian, and most of the people in my AP classes are either 3rd gen Hispanics or 2-3 gen Asians, and I find most, if not all, of them are, for lack of a better term, 'normal'

EDIT: lol wall o text, oops

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, I feel people think that think higher of themselves because they're a certain skin color are fools.
icon3.gif

Martin Luther King spoke so much truth...

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
No, that's called prejudice, which is why it is a separate word. Racism is when you treat someone differently (usually negatively) because of the color of their skin.

@Notnarb: Wow, MLK liked women. Amazing; was he not allowed to be a human male?

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No, that's called prejudice, which is why it is a separate word. Racism is when you treat someone differently (usually negatively) because of the color of their skin.

But "race" as I understand is not only about skin, but also about ethnicity, isn't it?

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

No, this makes him even MORE awesome

EDIT:
QUOTEBut "race" as I understand is not only about skin, but also about ethnicity, isn't it?
Skin color is linked to many other features (ie hair color / type); ethnicity and skin color go hand in hand

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me, the only people who are truly racist in the United States, are the African-Americans. Us white people (except for a select few) have long gotten over any racial boundaries. But the black people keep bringing it up, day after day. They just can't let anything go. If one of them is arrested by a white cop, they claim racism (note, this doesn't apply to any other race arresting a black person). If a black kid is beaten up by a white kid, it's racism (note, this doesn't apply to any other race beating up a black kid).

It just doesn't end with them. Every other race doesn't have a problem getting along with people, but they do for some reason.

This is just my opinion based on what I've seen out of the races.

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In Australia, we have quite an issue with racism too. When our new Prime Minister Kevin Rudd (awesome guy who has an understanding mind and speaks fluent Mandarin like any person from Beijing) decided to make an apology to the Aboriginal peoples for the past wronging of taking children from the Aboriginal families and sending them off to places far away from their communities and in a totally different culture to their own. This was sad because the white people wanted to integrate the Aborigines into the white culture and eventually wipe them out from existence (actual wording of documents).

Another good example of racism in Australia was the Cronulla riot incident (which I believe was shown on American, British and Hong Kong TV a long while ago). This was when the white people along Cronulla (where there are many beaches) started rioting against the Middle Eastern people who lived in the area and visited the beaches there. Many people damaged property and bashed the nearest "Leb" they could find. It was horrendous to hear our then Prime Minister John Howard to say that "We don't have a problem with racism in Australia" (John Howard was a bastard Prime Minister and screwed up lots of things).

Being Chinese myself, there is quite a bit of racism coming from white Australians ('specially in New South Wales, 'cos that's where I can find most of the racism). It's a bit hard with people thinking I don't speak English properly and that I'm weird 'cos I'm not white (I was born in Australia and my mother tongue is English). Other people just treat us plain bad by giving exceptions to other white people. One example is in buses, where the bus driver will let the non-Asian people from the another school get on while our school (which I might add... is notoriously known to be full of Asians...) is rejected. Really pisses me off because the bus companies won't give a damn and would probably blame you instead for no reason.

Well that's enough of my ranting.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hmmm... haven't seen any forms of racism around here. Perhaps occasional swastikas graffitti'd on walls, but over here it's extremly rare to see an asian and even rarer to see an african american. As for myself well... I think I actually have a 'phillia for other races. Seriously, asians and blacks are hhhhot dude!

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
You know, the most racism I've gotten in Japan is from Americans. I went to the mall to meet my friends Alisa and Kanako over the weekend and some stupid military guys asked really loudly if I (they might have referred to me as an "it") was American or Japanese. I was dressed Japanese, I suppose, but I am brown and I drive a Japanese car (all the base people have special plates, though I'd be impressed if the people who accosted me could read).

How effing rude. It really makes me want to stay in Japan and not go back to the States. Nearly all the Japanese people I've met have been really understanding; even when I have weird things like not eating pork and not drinking. It's the Americans that have really been racist towards me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1