Racism against Orcs

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
So racism is abundant on our world. Many disenfranchised groups are being discriminated against. And changes are long due to make our world a better place.

One of these unfortunate disenfranchised groups are Orcs. Orcs have been depicted in many media outlets as inherently evil such as very popular works from J.R.R Tolkien of the famous Lord of the Rings franchise. Very few places depict them are beings with feelings and emotions just like everyone else. It teaches racist beliefs against Orcs, which is ingrained in a child's mind from kidhood when reading and seeing popular media.

As a step in a right direction Dungeons & Dragons creators have vowed to be more inclusive to Orcs, and depict them in a more positive light. And end the racist depiction and beliefs against Orcs. Together we can make the world a better place.

Why Orcs are problematic in Dungeons & Dragons

D&D WotC announces inclusitivity updates to Orcs, Dow, and Vistani

volos-guide-orcs.jpg

Last edited by SG854,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think I could demand a patch to Elder Scrolls so I can get in the orc village peacefully despite not being an orc?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeesh, this is in really poor taste
Yeah I was gonna say, not sure if SG854 is trying to come off as sarcastic here or what.

Anyway, I'm not big into D&D or anything, but mostly this seems like a change for the better. Makes the race less one-dimensional and more nuanced. Of course, people are gonna keep using whatever version of the rulebook they like best (is 5e still the most popular?) and that's just fine. AFAIK it's up to the dungeon-master to make all the big decisions about which races are allowed in a party and etc anyway, the rulebook is more like a bunch of suggestions.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Might serve to have some background here. Seems some of the whining set, the ones that may or may not imagine racism as underpinning everything in society and everything they do, have got their knickers in a knot about how orcs or something are a standin for blacks (backgrounds vary between works but usually corrupted elves or products of dark magic or chaos) and then fiction depicting them as savages is troubling, possibly as some arsehole decades ago used some similar phrasing.

and in some ways it is part of a larger narrative
https://www.geeknative.com/73805/here-are-the-racist-magic-cards-wizards-have-banned/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy +1