Hacking r4origenal firmware1.24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not Original firmware for the original R4, it's the unofficial firmware for R4li. YSMenu is still better than v 1.24. It won't load the newest games, which means there'll be problems with some games.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shadowsfm said:
after reading this post, i think i will give it a try, because i actually like 1.23 better then ysmenu, because for me it runs faster, but still use ysmenu as a back up
http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&id=2662
http://www.r4li.com/
Have you used any of the R4li's unofficial firmware?

Cuz it's HORRIBLE.
Pretty sure you can't skin it, and it looks FAR worse than YSMenu.
As for speed, YSMenu, when updated with DSTT 1.17a07 and the latest infolib.dat, extinfo.dat, savelib.dat is VERY fast. Faster than official R4 firmware.

Get a2h's YSMenu generator w/ DSTT 1.17a07 from here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=130359
Get the latest infolib/extinfo/savelib/r4patch .dat's here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=194103

If you're having trouble getting your R4 theme to work properly on YSMenu, send me a PM with the skin.
I absolutely hated the way YSMenu looked until I found out how to fix the colors and stuff.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How about looking into a flashcard update (as in a new one) ?

If your worried about price, there are many online sellers, and mind you they're pretty cheap, and you can get a respectable card these days that ranges from 15$-30$ depending on what you want.

shadowsfm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually i'm happy with r4. its like, hey it works, what else can i ask for. though my brother wants one and i did suggest he look into acekard2. ok tried the 1.24. it booted but yeah its crap.

ok i give, it needs more color

warior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
don't works well with phat DS - sound is very low and can't be adjusted
with lite DS no problem with sound

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

immelman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
twiztidsinz said:
shadowsfm said:
after reading this post, i think i will give it a try, because i actually like 1.23 better then ysmenu, because for me it runs faster, but still use ysmenu as a back up
http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&id=2662
http://www.r4li.com/
Have you used any of the R4li's unofficial firmware?

Cuz it's HORRIBLE.
Pretty sure you can't skin it, and it looks FAR worse than YSMenu.
As for speed, YSMenu, when updated with DSTT 1.17a07 and the latest infolib.dat, extinfo.dat, savelib.dat is VERY fast. Faster than official R4 firmware.

Get a2h's YSMenu generator w/ DSTT 1.17a07 from here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=130359
Get the latest infolib/extinfo/savelib/r4patch .dat's here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=194103

If you're having trouble getting your R4 theme to work properly on YSMenu, send me a PM with the skin.
I absolutely hated the way YSMenu looked until I found out how to fix the colors and stuff.

You are wrong u can change skin!At least in the 1.24firmware!And it has better rom compatibility!For example try to run jedi alliance on ysmenu,iy will not work!But i can confirm it works with the 1.24 firmware.
My best regard to the guys of r4li.com!Cuz you are great!

In fact if u want to change skin you have to create a folder called themes in your _system_ folder than create 12 folder(a theme for evrymonthsXd) inside there called theme01,theme02,theme03,theme04, up to theme12, and put there your theme.
The r4 card will now loads the theme corresponding to the months(for example now we are in december,it will be load the theme12 folder).
You can still change the theme by pressing select when u are on the screen with the tree icons!

Hope u will enjoy and to be helpful.
In fact i found my r4 a bit slower but now it can load evrything!

EDIT:
Now you should have _system_/themes/theme01
_system_/themes/theme02
_system_/themes/theme03
_system_/themes/theme04
_system_/themes/theme05 and so on....

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While the method above works for skins, there's two issues I have.
1). You should be able to put the skin files directly into the _system_ folder and have it load that as a default skin.
-- Official R4 firmware does that, and their website says you can do that: http://r4li.com/download/r4_diy_skin.html
2). I cannot switch skins with the select button, it only shows the skin for theme12 (December).
-- Again, official R4 firmware has this feature in addition to the static theme, and switching works.

Using R4li 1.24 firmware on my R4, I ran into the following issues in my first few minutes of testing:
  • Absolutely refuses to boot GBA carts, black Screens every time. YSMenu will boot every game. Games tried:
    • Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    • Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Sword
    • Super Mario Advanced 2 - Super Mario World
    • Super Mario Advanced 4: Super Mario 3
    • Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga
    • Castlevenia: Circle of the Moon
  • Can't play some of the games that work perfectly on updated YSMenu:
    • Assassin's Creed II: Discovery.
    • Mario & Luigi 3: Bowser's Inside Story.
  • Game volume is INCREDIBLY low for games.
    • Turned all the way up I have to hold the speaker to my ear to hear the game while in a quiet room.
  • Interface is rather sluggish and takes a while to switch between screens.
Though I will say, it loads many games I tried rather quickly... but it's just as fast as YSMenu can.
So at best, R4li 1.24 firmware is as good as YSMenu... but at worst, its far below.
And your argument about better game compatibility is not true. As for Jedi Alliance, I will test that and update how it works on YSMenu.
[Update:]Watching 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Jedi Alliance' intro movie as I type this using YSMenu... might play it after I finish Spirit Tracks.
[Update2:]Seems I might have spoken too soon. Game locks on black screen at the Jedi Select part. Will try to replay on YSMenu after this point. No sound is a major deal breaker for me using the firmware.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This firmware is horrible. I have tried it myself and its really bad. Some games won't even load up like you press A on the game and the R4 just freezes. Games like C.O.P the Recruit won't even load and other games. I do not suggest to use this firmware at all.

immelman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
twiztidsinz said:
While the method above works for skins, there's two issues I have.
1). You should be able to put the skin files directly into the _system_ folder and have it load that as a default skin.
-- Official R4 firmware does that, and their website says you can do that: http://r4li.com/download/r4_diy_skin.html
2). I cannot switch skins with the select button, it only shows the skin for theme12 (December).
-- Again, official R4 firmware has this feature in addition to the static theme, and switching works.

Using R4li 1.24 firmware on my R4, I ran into the following issues in my first few minutes of testing:
  • Absolutely refuses to boot GBA carts, black Screens every time. YSMenu will boot every game. Games tried:
    • Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    • Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Sword
    • Super Mario Advanced 2 - Super Mario World
    • Super Mario Advanced 4: Super Mario 3
    • Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga
    • Castlevenia: Circle of the Moon
  • Can't play some of the games that work perfectly on updated YSMenu:
    • Assassin's Creed II: Discovery.
    • Mario & Luigi 3: Bowser's Inside Story.
  • Game volume is INCREDIBLY low for games.
    • Turned all the way up I have to hold the speaker to my ear to hear the game while in a quiet room.
  • Interface is rather sluggish and takes a while to switch between screens.
Though I will say, it loads many games I tried rather quickly... but it's just as fast as YSMenu can.
So at best, R4li 1.24 firmware is as good as YSMenu... but at worst, its far below.
And your argument about better game compatibility is not true. As for Jedi Alliance, I will test that and update how it works on YSMenu.
[Update:]Watching 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Jedi Alliance' intro movie as I type this using YSMenu... might play it after I finish Spirit Tracks.
[Update2:]Seems I might have spoken too soon. Game locks on black screen at the Jedi Select part. Will try to replay on YSMenu after this point. No sound is a major deal breaker for me using the firmware.

Hi there,
I would like to let you know that i did not try games for the gba so I can't say nothin about it.
But i can confirm that you should be able to change skin (select in the main screen,the one with the 3 button).
In addition to that Iabsolutely find out that you were right about the sound level!It's low,but for me is not such a bad thing cuz i still have the phat ds and its stereo is horrible!
I dont know which assassin's creed you've tried but i know for sure that you can play it,I cant remember how,i think you should use the ips patch by rudolph but i dont know (I've tried it but i didnt like at all!).
For what concern Browser inside story...I'm playing it right now...dunno maybe is because i'm using the euro version?Maybe no!XD
IF you still let me saying something i suggest you to use the 1.24 firmware with ysmenu as substitute of moonshell.
If u want to know ho to use it u should read about r4ysauto!

immelman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
jakob95 said:
This firmware is horrible. I have tried it myself and its really bad. Some games won't even load up like you press A on the game and the R4 just freezes. Games like C.O.P the Recruit won't even load and other games. I do not suggest to use this firmware at all.

I repeat you can change the skin so why it should be horrible?Maybe are you talking about compatibility?
In fact i never found an unplayable game!
C.o.p. the recruit is a cute game and you can play it with that firmware!At least the european version!(Dunno if it depends about it)The euro version has english so try it!

As you should have understood i'm a great fan of the r4 and i still believe in this project!I was really glad when r4li released this firmware,but i know that is a 2 years old hardware!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You too