Hacking R4i ?

Sahduk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this be also compatible on my regular phat DS? And could someone please direct me to w website that has been used to buy from please. Iv been reading around and have found out that allot of websites scam.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Any "R4" that's not an original plain "R4" is a clone. They lack official support (no updates), so you won't be able to play new games that have AP (most new big/popular games have AP), whereas if you get a cart that's not shitty, you can play them as soon an an update is released.

This has been lessened with the release of Wood R4, but that's mainly for original R4 carts, whether it works on clones or not depends on your clone model, and whether the creator of Wood decides to continue it for more clones.

The R4 was the card to get... like 6 years ago. It's long since died, and the only reason people get it is because all they know is the R4 name. The R4 hasn't been a good card in years. If you look around this forum, you will see people constantly talking about how much the R4 sucks, and the general response to "how do I play this game on my R4?" is "Get a card that doesn't suck".

tl;dr: It's not 2004 anymore, the R4 team has died, the R4 sucks, get a card that still gets official updates.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I advice if you go for an R4 Clone go with the R4i RTS from the M3 Team. Otherwise just go with the original R4 or something better like an M3i Zero, Supercard DSONEi, or Acekard 2i like Slyakin said

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pick up the R4 "original" for $6. It is supported by the Wood firmware, which is fantastic. Don't listen to the haters, the "original" + Wood will provide the experience you're looking for.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Either an original R4 with 2GB memory, or Acekard 2i with 4GB (or 8GB if you like the idea of having over 100 games). Or you could wait for the Supercard DS2.

v13j0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I follow some of your advices and buy and acekard 2i from one of the recommended store, and they send me a clone cart that its totally unsupported making it basicaly useless. So beware of this if you are gonna buy an acekart. At least some of the R4 have some support. like the R4i-sdhc (red box) i have one of this and it is OK not Great but ok and have good rom compatibility... the problem is that now-day the R4 clones are so spread that its almost a pure act of luck to find the one you want. So it is adviced to stay away from them unless you really want one and trust the retailer. Sadly with acekart clones you get no support at all so bare that in mind.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
v13j0 said:
Well I follow some of your advices and buy and acekard 2i from one of the recommended store, and they send me a clone cart that its totally unsupported making it basicaly useless. So beware of this if you are gonna buy an acekart.
Maybe it's just the retailer. If you get a genuine Acekard, it has MUCH BETTER support than an R4.

Where'd you get it?

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v13j0 said:
Well I follow some of your advices and buy and acekard 2i from one of the recommended store, and they send me a clone cart that its totally unsupported making it basicaly useless. So beware of this if you are gonna buy an acekart. At least some of the R4 have some support. like the R4i-sdhc (red box) i have one of this and it is OK not Great but ok and have good rom compatibility... the problem is that now-day the R4 clones are so spread that its almost a pure act of luck to find the one you want. So it is adviced to stay away from them unless you really want one and trust the retailer. Sadly with acekart clones you get no support at all so bare that in mind.

The lesson of this story: Don't buy a clone (Acekard, R4, or any other clone). Buy from a seller with the real deal.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
v13j0 said:
Well I follow some of your advices and buy and acekard 2i from one of the recommended store, and they send me a clone cart that its totally unsupported making it basicaly useless. So beware of this if you are gonna buy an acekart.
Maybe it's just the retailer. If you get a genuine Acekard, it has MUCH BETTER support than an R4.

Where'd you get it?
Probably some shitty place like WikiNDS, and we know how much they fuck up.

v13j0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thats for sure... A genuine Acekart is way better than any R4, thats no my point but, if you follow the threads about clone acekart you will notice the proliferation of cloned acekard. The problem is that acekart
and akaio now don't support those cloned carts making them unusable, i'm not saying that they should, but the only ones suffering are the customer. for example, i got one cloned acekart from ishopvideogames and now they want me to send the card back for a replacement, and that is understandable from their pont of view, but now i have to pay 14 dollars to send the card back and hope that they send me a good one the next time... honestly i rather order another acekart from other retailer that send the cart back, maybe they know that, who knows?

laxman0220

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PharaohsVizier said:
No it's not. Any R4i isn't good. The reasons are already mentioned above repeatedly. Is there a reason you are still looking at R4i carts even though it is clear that they are bad? The thing is, I know that people often buy R4i carts because their friends vouch for it, and you see it in action, etc. That being said, it's true that R4i works fine and dandy for the most part, but the fact is it isn't as good as other carts in the same price bracket. R4i sometimes needs a bit of fiddling to work, etc.

Most people on this board know what they are talking about when they warn you, DON'T BUY R4i. We don't say it because we like to bash R4 (actually some of us do), but because some of us have the two to compare, some of us learned it the hard way by buying it as our sole carts, some of us even had blown fuses or dead carts after an R4 clone purchase.

can u tell me what's exactly wrong with the r4i from r4i-sdhc...

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP