R4i Ultra, upgraded DSiXL and old DSPhat

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Fallingwater, May 31, 2016.

1. Fallingwater
    OP

Fallingwater Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2016
    Italy
    I acquired from two separate sources a DSiXL 25th Anniversary Edition and three R4i Ultra cards for free.

The DSiXL has firmware 1.4.5E, which won't load the stock R4i Ultras.

A friend lent me a standard DS Phat which does load them.

I'm trying to use the Phat to upgrade the R4is to a firmware that'll let them work in my DSiXL, but so far I'm failing. I've tried two firmware upgrades from here, then I tried others under the assumption that ruining one of the cards wouldn't be much of a loss since I have the others, but while the cards keep on loading in the Phat, showing various different names/icons for the cart as I try various upgrades and actually loading .nds games, all they ever cause in the DSiXL is a "An error occurred" message and the only thing I can do is reboot the system.

Is there a way out of this situation that doesn't involve buying another flashcart? I'm aware the Ultra isn't the best cart on the market and has been out of production for a while, but I'd be perfectly happy with it if I could only get it to run.

I imagine all I'd need is a firmware compatible with the 1.4.5E firmware on the DSiXL, then I could tinker with kernels and cart software at leisure, but I can't seem to find any such firmware upgrader. The site stamped on the carts (r4ultra.com) is no longer active and I can't find direct mirrors.

Last edited by Fallingwater, May 31, 2016
  2. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    IIRC, that cart was blocked in DSi FW 1.4.3.

3. Fallingwater
    OP

Fallingwater Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2016
    Italy
    Completely? As in, can't be upgraded further than that?

4. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Yes. Although that may work on a 3DS with CFW

5. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Did you try the latest Wood R4 firmware? You can find it here. It's not meant for your cart but it's worth a shot.

6. Fallingwater
    OP

Fallingwater Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2016
    Italy
    I can try, but how does this particular firmware work? There doesn't seem to be an upgrader .nds, and just putting it in the root of the microSD causes it to get stuck at "Loading..."

Do I need something else on the card, and then to copy the Wood firmware on top?

Apologies if it's a stupid question, I'm still learning my first steps here.

7. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    You did the right thing by copying it to the root of the SD. When it gets stuck at loading it just means that your cart isn't compatible since it's an off-brand clone. Unless you can find an official FW update from the people that made the cart there's nothing you can do.

8. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    r4wood.com only has a 1.4.3 firmware afaik. Check r4wood.com.

I also recommend you use AKAIO instead, it's on R4wood.com, it looks much better.

9. Fallingwater
    OP

Fallingwater Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2016
    Italy
    Did you write this as you meant to, or is the second one supposed to be a different link to check where they might have later firmwares?

10. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    No, I just meant I think it only has a 1.4.3 patch, but I'm not entirely sure.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk