ROM Hack r4i ultra kernel 1.56 game support

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a guestion about the 1.56 kernel update of the r4i ultra.
On the site it says support new games but i did not see any fixes.
why there comes only 1 update in one year?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stylow said:
The answer to all your questions is: Because it's a clone.
The people who make them just copy someone else' hardware and modify the software to include their logo and that's about it.

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
twiztidsinz said:
stylow said:
The answer to all your questions is: Because it's a clone.
The people who make them just copy someone else' hardware and modify the software to include their logo and that's about it.
Then must i buy the r4i gold

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.
[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
  • Price: $6 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Can use Wood R4, giving it compatibility with modern games.
  • Disadvantages: No DSi support, limited to memory cards 2GB and lower, no special features.
  • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: $15 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Can use AKAIO, giving it compatibility with modern games. Can update itself and cheats over wifi, supports the DSi/XL, and supports memory cards up to 32GB.
  • Disadvantages: Can't do any of the special stuff the DSTwo can.
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
  • Price: $35 from shoptemp.com
  • Advantages: Supports the DSi/XL, can update itself even if the DSi won't run it, supports memory cards up to 32GB, real-time save (save states), in-game guide (show text and images from walkthroughs without having to reset the game), "free cheat" which lets you modify memory while the game is running, GBA and SNES emulator, slow motion, and more.
  • Disadvantages: The onboard processor and such means it eats into your battery life a bit.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really can't recommend AceKard anymore.

Official support is essentially non-existent, pushing compatibility off to AKAIO, and it seems that if the people over at AKAIO weren't busy ignoring you, they would sooner delete your post than provide help.

I have an AK2i and it works just fine, but I cannot recommend them.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They've got a guy handling the forums (the one with an avatar), they released a 1.4.1 fix (and were even responding with it to e-mails) before most everything else (except DSTwo of course), and there's no NEED to work on compatibility when AKAIO does that (a hacker rule is "don't reinvent the wheel", don't duplicate effort for the same goal).

They have support.

As for the akaio team being jerks, all anybody needs to say to you is "menudo".
tongue.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
They've got a guy handling the forums (the one with an avatar), they released a 1.4.1 fix (and were even responding with it to e-mails) before most everything else (except DSTwo of course), and there's no NEED to work on compatibility when AKAIO does that (a hacker rule is "don't reinvent the wheel", don't duplicate effort for the same goal).

They have supportI'm not saying that they should 'reinvent the wheel', I'm just saying that you pretty much don't have an alternative to using the unofficial menu, which means you don't have an alternative to dealing with the AKAIO people.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Oct 25 2010, 02:39 PM) As for the akaio team being jerks, all anybody needs to say to you is "menudo".
tongue.gif
I don't work for menudo nor do I provide support for menudo, so what I say/do in relation to menudo is meaningless to menudo.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I browse the forums, and when people post bug reports on games correctly the reply is usually "fixed in private build" or "fixed in next release" and then a thread close.

As for the jerk thing, I was talking about how AKAIO seems pissy when people suggest the same thing over and over, just like you and others (including myself to an extent) get pissy when yet ANOTHER menudo thread is made with no release.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Grrrrrr. All these that slate the R4 Ultra are quick to shout 'filthy clone' but in actuality, that particular cart could be better than the AceKard.

It is an AK clone, just without the need to use the 'paper' trick. If the AKAIO devs would let AKAIO be usable on it, a lot of folk would be happy!!

Anyway, in response to your actual question, you're unfortunately better off getting a new cart. A DSTwo or even an R4 (Wood pisses on AKAIO IMO). That's just the way it is, the 'official' R4 Ultra firmware is shite and always will be.

Oh, and before the AK fanboys start on me for saying a clone is better, I own both carts and my R4 Ultra is older than my AK2i. My R4 Ultra has had more use and is the only cart out of the two that still works correctly. If it weren't for AKAIO, Acekard would be long gone!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I browse the forums, and when people post bug reports on games correctly the reply is usually "fixed in private build" or "fixed in next release" and then a thread close.
Key words: "ON GAMES".
I gave an example of a bug report being ignored and deleted, I can find a few more in the "what not to do" section that are (to the best of my knowledge) filled out properly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2