ROM Hack R4i-sdhc first version - errcode, nothing works

Alex*Sora*89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi there! It's been a while since my last post here.

I'll be as quick as possible: lately, every game has some sort of protection that causes an error (errcode = -4) that, in turn, prevents the game from even loading.
As you may remember, I only have an R4i-sdhc, namely its first version - not v1.4 and not the latest one either. The only way I can boot ysmenu on this flashcart is through the moonshell in its firmware, but even then, games don't load anyway (and this extends to every NDS game - even the least recent ones - in this case).
I also have TTmenu, but that doesn't work even with the moonshell.
The problem with my version of the R4i is that not even its manifacturer gives a darn about it, as every firmware update, lately, seems to be exclusive to the other version of the flashcart.
However, I've found out (through an actual R4 - not a clone - belonging to a friend of mine) that not even the ysmenu can do anything at all for that "errcode = -4".

What I'm trying to say is that, after giving you all the information I could, I need your help once again. I'm sorry to bother the community once more with my problems, but what I want to ask is, if there's any solution in order to bypass the errcode (whatever its number may turn out to be, as there are also "-5" errors out there) with the flashcart I own, can you please lend a helping hand?

And if there's nothing that could possibly be done with R4i, then I'm open to suggestions for other kinds of flashcarts, as long as they support MicroSDs of any size (sdhc) and as long as you also have an optimal configuration (the kind that could allow any game to be played with) to suggest as well.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First, this is the wrong place to ask...

Second, you should be able to set YSMenu up as default I think, and if not then run it through your default Menu (or Moonshell as you already can).
After that, the rest is just getting updated files from Retro: http://gbatemp.net/t267243-retrogamefan-updates-releases

If you're open to buying a new card, I would suggest an AceKard2i.
It supports SDHC (Up to 16GB? if I recall card manufacturers claiming 64/128GB or any TB MicroSDHCs are bullshitting) and has a good Menu that gets updated regularly behind it (AKAIO). You just need to be cautious of clones since they're typically junk.

Alex*Sora*89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wasn't pretty sure if this was the right section where I could ask, as a matter of fact, as the premises behind this and the "flashcarts" section of the site are overlapping. My apologies.

Anyway, um, I'll try that link you've posted. Thanks for that!
smile.gif

Oh, and I'm also open to different suggestions - you're all encouraged to state your opinion too!

... if you have enough time to notice this topic, of course.

EDIT: wait, how can I use YSmenu as a default menu? And how can I use Retro's files? I need a guide...
frown.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/t155479-is-it-possible-...t&p=1991972
jruschme said:
It works!

A quick recap for those who just joined us...

The R4i-SDHC (and it's non-i version) are DSTT clones with a somewhat different menu system. In order to get YSMenu to run in an R4i-SDHC card, one has to resolve two issues:1. Fooling YSMenu into thinking it is running on a DSTT
2. Finding a (relatively) seamless way to run YSMenu.
First, we need to set up YSMenu as normal. DO NOT patch it with the R4 DLDI driver! Instead, we want to leave the DSTT DLDI driver that it is already patched with and, instead, apply a patch to disable autopatching. (A suitable utility can be found on the DLDI wiki.) This is because the DLDI driver automatically patched by the R4i-SDHC (DEMON IO library) is not recognized by YSMenu, so it does not know what loader to use.

At this point, we can manually run YSMenu from the R4 menu. Now, normally, we would consider copying \YSMenu.nds to \R4.dat and booting directly into YSMenu. This won't work, however, as the firmware on the card seems to expect to see something in the R4.dat file and won't boot otherwise (displays an icon reading "MENU?"). Similarly, it doesn't appear that we can just copy YSmenu.nds to some other file and override the "Game" menu.

This leaves one option- take over the Moonshell button. For this we need to edit the file \R4iMenu\multimedia.ini and replace the contents with the path to YSMenu.nds. Once done, we can select YSmenu from the initial start screen.

Probably also worth taking a look at TTYSAuto to build YSMenu for TT
http://gbatemp.net/t104810-TTYSauto
http://gbatemp.net/t224381-ttysauto-updated

Alex*Sora*89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Um... it's rather complex. It will take a long while for a noob like me to make this work, if it will work.

But I swear that, if it works, I'll post how I made it work alongside the configuration of my R4i!
Thanks for your help, twiztidsinz!

Alex*Sora*89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry for the double post (although the time between posts is long enough, I hope).

After the last thing that happened to me (see in my http://gbatemp.net/t294914-ultimate-spider...rking-on-my-r4i topic), any faith I ever had in my R4i is now gone, so I might consider buying a new flashcart as well.

However, for the sake of choice, I need the name of any flashcart that supports both SDHC cards and the latest (1.30) version of Wood R4.

Suggestions of any sort are more than welcome.

[EDIT: what is that "10% warn" thing anyway? Is it because of that time I forgot about the "no rom sites" rule?]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Push it :creep: