Hacking R4i SDHC dual core - what are "special" features of it?

gesaugen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can anybody tell me what does this" dual core" means and how can I use it?

Also I'm confused by the "tools" section in the start menu of the wood loader: what are "update", "3in1" and "CRC32" for?

Also how can I get rumble on the DSi and are there DS games that use rumble pack?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The dual-core literally means nothing. They put that on there as some odd form of branding.
The update feature is there because Wood R4 used to get wifi updates back when it was still active. 3in1 is there because Wood R4 can control the 3in1 slot2 cart functions. IIRC, CRC32 is used to check the CRC of NDS ROMs, I am not even going to pretend I know what that is. If I am reading the results on Google properly, the CRC is the NDS file's checksums.
DSi doesn't have rumble because it doesn't have a slot2 in order for use a rumble cart.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
According to r4isdhc.com, it means "it combined with core technology of R4, M3 and DS TWO." :D
which further proves they don't even know how to clone lol
"dual-core" now means three :unsure: Where is the DSTWO? Something about this bothers me at a spiritual level.

gesaugen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tough that "dual core" had something to do with emulators in a way that dual core cards run them more smother...

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
The dual-core literally means nothing.
Actually there is a CPU inside of the Cards 2013-2014. It's not very powerful, but it does help to Increase emulation, and performance. I've actually taken it apart before and Identified the CPU, but I don't think there is any extra RAM on the board; sadly.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Actually there is a CPU inside of the Cards 2013-2014. It's not very powerful, but it does help to Increase emulation, and performance. I've actually taken it apart before and Identified the CPU, but I don't think there is any extra RAM on the board; sadly.
how does it help with emulators not designed with aknoledge of them? it's not like it was the r4 team who did the emulators

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
how does it help with emulators not designed with aknoledge of them? it's not like it was the r4 team who did the emulators
If I recall, NDS ROMS are running natively. I may be mistaken about them being emulated; but I was not referring to emulators themselves.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Really? I need to look more into this cart.

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Really? I need to look more into this cart.

FGb09qAkpToNtf7Sp_kYO1HJZk6VGV5zrmsQJQgBNnrTu5mUUPfNiyCRAr08Ea0NxFp6M_HeP_w5rsb8vTMo6Lxr_iT_uTE2H9qmeWGykWvVgQh3rLenMM6hChR5LVJfz54FIbcLH_5tHxRLqRQIjiFeAUMni-kSdLzkEFRkZKNp1W_9-rHgwGXPZiYCDJLQtH9U70z76C70P5TPJwhkLoiwQFjn_2Rf_l3wUMOdlsNlri2yZWtKIgp7xkkjRwMwSWddwfgvEof_hB4NvnT00EPTQAOQNOO0rF6XtYT___ov5zmZHLvDK9MLmKnbvuSAgE15RKQhVqQ8Bffm-WTRpMQSiCZyZZ7uHPEnxrcXMotDjPE0lnzm7LJ56JCEemw8KYlNFCNz3qQbRzkgf_zt1uglTRX9ooavJ2aVzHDqXiGhxtNzDE0Gbs-yiBGI4XTAB4AFvINXD6eCaiW2OTTUVXQWUDeMWkytIQ9cFk30O_BFPkaEuDroI422ILtF5YKCtm6dzIwXA5XsE8_N1eyLeLrHQhxwLVRf-Sg7v2Jqr4U-BJH6or8yZZpwUGezBpzw84c58fNwmYkwAvxbqciZvEljxoQfi0E4IiuSzLvZUmLxuMiTsx9csyLc=w1274-h956-no

If I am correct, the top most left chip is either RAM, or an CPU. My assumption would be that it's a form of sdRAM, but I can't tell perfectly since the Label seems to have been worn off. My other guess would be that it's a CPU; which would make sense considering the advertising. The bottom most right chip is a Storage controller; which obviously converts and sends data to the supposed RAM/CPU. Either way, the chip at the top is most likely there to take the load off of the systems hardware; in terms of the Firmware that is. Without having the R4 Wood Firmware running in the DS/3DS' RAM, and having to flush it out of RAM every time you run a game, or some homebrew.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
FGb09qAkpToNtf7Sp_kYO1HJZk6VGV5zrmsQJQgBNnrTu5mUUPfNiyCRAr08Ea0NxFp6M_HeP_w5rsb8vTMo6Lxr_iT_uTE2H9qmeWGykWvVgQh3rLenMM6hChR5LVJfz54FIbcLH_5tHxRLqRQIjiFeAUMni-kSdLzkEFRkZKNp1W_9-rHgwGXPZiYCDJLQtH9U70z76C70P5TPJwhkLoiwQFjn_2Rf_l3wUMOdlsNlri2yZWtKIgp7xkkjRwMwSWddwfgvEof_hB4NvnT00EPTQAOQNOO0rF6XtYT___ov5zmZHLvDK9MLmKnbvuSAgE15RKQhVqQ8Bffm-WTRpMQSiCZyZZ7uHPEnxrcXMotDjPE0lnzm7LJ56JCEemw8KYlNFCNz3qQbRzkgf_zt1uglTRX9ooavJ2aVzHDqXiGhxtNzDE0Gbs-yiBGI4XTAB4AFvINXD6eCaiW2OTTUVXQWUDeMWkytIQ9cFk30O_BFPkaEuDroI422ILtF5YKCtm6dzIwXA5XsE8_N1eyLeLrHQhxwLVRf-Sg7v2Jqr4U-BJH6or8yZZpwUGezBpzw84c58fNwmYkwAvxbqciZvEljxoQfi0E4IiuSzLvZUmLxuMiTsx9csyLc=w1274-h956-no

If I am correct, the top most left chip is either RAM, or an CPU. My assumption would be that it's a form of sdRAM, but I can't tell perfectly since the Label seems to have been worn off. My other guess would be that it's a CPU; which would make sense considering the advertising. The bottom most right chip is a Storage controller; which obviously converts and sends data to the supposed RAM/CPU. Either way, the chip at the top is most likely there to take the load off of the systems hardware; in terms of the Firmware that is. Without having the R4 Wood Firmware running in the DS/3DS' RAM, and having to flush it out of RAM every time you run a game, or some homebrew.
If I could just make out the rest of it beyond the numbers, I could look it up.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's hard to identify the top-left chip; since there is only the Model Number. The actual branding seems to be worn off.
Well I'll put this on top of my research, could be important or at least interesting to a few.

Reactions: Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Are you sure that it's a CPU? I can't see the picture, but a low budget card like that normally only contains a FPGA and flash memory.

/edit
I opened my card and the chip on the top left is a mxic mx25l1606e m2i-12g. Seems to be a 16mbit serial eprom memory.

Last edited by Technicmaster0,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night