Hacking R4i Pro 2019 VS R4 (non-SDHC) - Very slow. Better Firmware?

Bravestarr

OP
Trophies
Website
marc.tv
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

I recently bought an old NDS Lite with an R4 (very old, 2GB max). It worked well beside the limitation of 2GB after you guys helped me here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-wi...out-i-logo-micro-sd-cart-and-firmware.534016/

Now I own a R4i Pro 2019 with this firmware: http://r4i-sdhc.com/downloade.asp But im comparison to the very old card above the menu very slow and ugly. If I scroll on the old card it is very quick. When I scroll on the new card with many more roms it is sooo slow.

Here are the two menus/firmwares as an attachments. Is there anything I could do? I tried the old firmwre with the new card and ended up with a "menu?" screen.

Attachments

• old_and_fast.jpeg
    old_and_fast.jpeg
    969.3 KB · Views: 379
  • new and slow.jpeg
    new and slow.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 351
  • new.jpeg
    new.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 327
  • old.png
    old.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 345

Bravestarr

OP
Trophies
Website
marc.tv
XP
Country
Germany
I use the one next to the old card on the photo. Do you think that is the problem? But the menu is so ugly because I don't want to see the size of each rom and that moving image. There does not seem to be an option to customize that. Thank you for answering me! =)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I use the one next to the old card on the photo. Do you think that is the problem? But the menu is so ugly because I don't want to see the size of each rom and that moving image. There does not seem to be an option to customize that. Thank you for answering me! =)
i have a random r4i card as a backup card. the menu seems similair, yeah i feel you its not great, i do not know if you can customize it, because i never looked into it (i just have this card in case my DSTWO dies or i need to test a different card), or maybe you can try other stuff like retrogamefan menu. i think there is also YSMENU or something, someone may know better than me and can help you with this.

but the slow issue might be the sd card you got being class 2.
since ya live in germany i would assume you can get in a saturn or media markt close to you and get a 32GB card for 8-12 euroducks, which probably will make a big difference
You might also want to try to split the games into folders (for example alphabetically) it can also help. the card might be struggling to dealing with hundreds of files in the same folder
EDIT: as i noticed in the pictures you only have 33 games in the folder, its probably the class 2 card.

there is a button, (not remember which, might be L R or X or Y) to change the view (instead of a list you get square icons)

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: larrypretty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he... +1