Hacking R4i HAPPYBOX makes me sad in my pants :(

NekoAlvien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys i bought this "R4i DS HAPPYBOX V1.4" (NOT the version 2 one) for my DSi XL about a year ago and it was running great, I hadn't used it for a while until golden sun dark dawn came out and I was all like "NEED TO PLAY THIS!" but alas it seems my little red friend doesn't want me to play such an awesome game.

I've been to the card website (R4ISDHC.com) and it seems that instead of upgrading my card's firmware they have abandoned it to solely work on their newer cards instead
frown.gif
I've read about using the TTMenu and ive gotten the lastest version with the "patches" for it but it only loads to a black screen...so i was wondering if anyone else might also have this card and if they can get newer games working on it? If so and if you can help me out i will give you hugs for eternity and love you with mouth forever!

Included i have taken a pic of the card just to help things along...maybe?

n49pih.jpg

Any help will be very much appreciated
smile.gif

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
You would be better off just buying a new mainstream cart.

The problem is there are so many clones, clones of clones and clones of the cloned clones. Just too much "R4" to keep track of, and every cart is different, so no one but anyone who owns the same cart as you do would be able to help you. Even if someone CAN help you this time, you mist likely will run into problems later.

Not to say that there arent problems with other carts, but we will be able to help you much more easily if you had a, let's say, Acekard 2, or M3 Real.

The most obvious question I can ask right now though, is...is it an r4 clone, or is it a TTDS clone?

NekoAlvien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TwinRetro said:
You would be better off just buying a new mainstream cart.

The problem is there are so many clones, clones of clones and clones of the cloned clones. Just too much "R4" to keep track of, and every cart is different, so no one but anyone who owns the same cart as you do would be able to help you. Even if someone CAN help you this time, you mist likely will run into problems later.

Not to say that there arent problems with other carts, but we will be able to help you much more easily if you had a, let's say, Acekard 2, or M3 Real.

The most obvious question I can ask right now though, is...is it an r4 clone, or is it a TTDS clone?

I was afraid I might have a card that no one uses, to be honest I haven't been able to find ANY other threads on many forums about this particular cart which is why I decided to at least post a thread myself just to see if there were any other users of this cart that happen to be more knowledgeable about how to get it working...

I really couldn't say if this was an R4 clone or a TTDS clone...all i can say for sure is that the official newest firmware for this doesn't have TTDS on it...so I'm assuming its a R4 clone due to the lack of TTDS on it...

I have gotten a good year of use out of the thing so getting a new cart wouldnt be such a bad thing...but then again if I can get at least Golden Sun: Dark Dawn or the english Inazuma Eleven working on my current cart without having to get a new one....id be much happier (plus the fact that i can start playing stuff without having to wait
tongue.gif
) If thats not possible though...any recommendations for a new cart?
smile.gif

shineaway

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Neko,

I have the same "Happybox" cart as you, I am running the latest DSTT menu on mine, feel free to try it; here.

Just make sure you backup your cards current firmware. ;]

shineaway

NekoAlvien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
shineaway said:
Hey Neko,

I have the same "Happybox" cart as you, I am running the latest DSTT menu on mine, feel free to try it; here.

Just make sure you backup your cards current firmware. ;]

shineaway

Oh great, downloading now, any steps on how you get it to work just incase i botch it?
tongue.gif

Edit: Okay basically i just copied over the contents of your zip to the cart's sd and overwrote the exsisting files, booted straight to DSTT menu which was nice but im still getting the black screen for Dark Dawn....have you happened to try DD on yours by any chance?
smile.gif

shineaway

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Backup the R4.dat on your card,
Unzip the file,
Drag the contents of the zip file to your SD card,
Place back into R4i, then boot the cart up.

Hopefully you will see the TTMenu load, if not tell me what happens.

shineaway

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am using the latest DSTT from *a ROM site that a moderator removed.

And looking at the working untrimmed games list, both Dark Dawn games are listed in there:
Code:
5367 - Golden Sun Dark Dawn (U),
5387 - Golden Sun Dark Dawn (E)

Might be a dodgy rom, i'll try downloading a European version of the game on my R4i.

NekoAlvien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
shineaway said:
Backup the R4.dat on your card,
Unzip the file,
Drag the contents of the zip file to your SD card,
Place back into R4i, then boot the cart up.

Hopefully you will see the TTMenu load, if not tell me what happens.

Yep boots straight into the TTmenu but Inazuma Eleven and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn still booting to a white screen and a black screen respectively
frown.gif
Im using clean roms for each...should i get one of these magical patched roms that i happen to see scattered around the internets?

shineaway

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to note, I tried the game on my R4i and it has loaded straight to the naming your character screen. Funny stuff.

A quick google of "5387 golden sun dark dawn", and the top entry provided me with all I need.

NekoAlvien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll get that one too just incase this patch doesnt work...if neither of these two work i have no idea what im doing wrong XD

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Try out this firmware..

http://gbatemp.net/t267243-retrogamefan-updates-releases
if it is a DSTT clone it will work. ask in the thread though.

It could help more if you took a screenshot of the SD internal files. (the files that are on the root of your card)
Retro's firmware should work just dandy on it. once you get the grip..

Hope this helped.

shineaway

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is what Neko is currently using, along with another NDS file that bypasses his cards default buggy firmware.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
shineaway said:
This is what Neko is currently using, along with another NDS file that bypasses his cards default buggy firmware.

this card is not listed in RGF release thread.. so I don't know if it works natively or requires a dual boot.
which is why I asked for a screenshot of the original firmware..

NekoAlvien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay still black screen even on the rom that you said works fine with yours shineaway
ohnoes.png

Here is a screenshot on the root of my SD drive...i dont understand how we are using the exact same cart yet yours works and mine doesnt....if im asking too much its okay but shineaway could you zip up all the files in your SD card (of course not including the games or personal files) and upload it somewhere for me? I just want to exclude any idiocy on my part, im thinking if i have an exact copy of your sd card and YOURS works....then if it doesnt work on mine then it must be a faulty cart issue....or something....although other older games still work on it fine :3 but yeah if you could do that for me it would really put my mind at rest
smile.gif

2ecg1m0.png

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd pick up a Supercard DSTwo.

GBA emulation, awesome support team, excellent compatibility.

Only downside is the price (around $35, still less than a DS cart) and the battery power is a bit worse than other carts because of the on-board CPU for GBA games.

If you don't want GBA emulation., get an Acekard 2i.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol