Hacking R4i gold pro 2016 can't find menu.

Hamstermascot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I picked up my R4i gold pro 2016 today, but I've ran into a error. I put the wood kernal 1.64 files on the SD card and then copied the games over to the root of the microSD. Now it can see the ghost game bomberman, but when I launch it I get a MicroSD image on it with the text "Menu?".

My microSD does have the _DS_MENU.DAT and the _rpg folder in it. Could someone help me out? (lol, I've been running into issue after issue these days).

Hamstermascot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you can't run wood with that r4. you have to run either their proprietary firmware from r4isdhc.com or ysmenu(recommended if you don't want the time bomb. I can send you the ysmenu files)

Yeah. I tried the 3.7b files from the official site and that worked fine. I thought you could run the Wood Kernel with a gold pro 2016 though.

Hamstermascot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, they're different cards and work in different ways. If you want ysmenu to avoid the time bomb hit me up ;)

nah. It doesn't really matter to me. I now have that moon menu or whatever you call it. The never updated FF15 image still known as FF13 versus, lol.

Can I use ysmenu instead of original firmware?
And what is time-bomb mean?
I'm using R4i SDHC 3DS RTS Wi-fi on http://r4i-sdhc.com

Just means something that takes longer to load things.

Reactions: x_master_1234

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The old one ran WOOD from what I've read. The ones made after 2014 are from a different team.
Can I use ysmenu instead of original firmware?
And what is time-bomb mean?
I'm using R4i SDHC 3DS RTS Wi-fi on http://r4i-sdhc.com
All current cards from r4isdhc.com have a time limit, it makes the cards stop booting after a certain date. But if this happens you can just turn back the clock on your DS to avoid it. I don't believe your card is affected.
If you want to try YSmenu see here.

Hamstermascot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The old one ran WOOD from what I've read. The ones made after 2014 are from a different team.

All current cards from r4isdhc.com have a time limit, it makes the cards stop booting after a certain date. But if this happens you can just turn back the clock on your DS to avoid it. I don't believe your card is affected.

Wait that kind of time-bomb? Damn. I don't think the 2016 models have any issues with it?

x_master_1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh thanks you :)
If I use YSMenu, my R4 card can boot into menu after this date?

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait that kind of time-bomb? Damn. I don't think the 2016 models have any issues with it?
Yeah, but there are ways to bypass it. You can boot directly into YSmenu with my instructions. Or you can try a patched r4i-sdhc.com kernel from http://mkiddy.leerik.nl/R4i/. R4iSDHC.com cards are clones of r4i-sdhc.com, this is why this is possible. However it appears to not boot any games on certain cards strangely enough.
Oh thanks you :)
If I use YSMenu, my R4 card can boot into menu after this date?
I don't think your card has the time limit. But yes if it does. You can test it by setting the date to 2019 if you want.

Hamstermascot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, but there are ways to bypass it. You can boot directly into YSmenu with my instructions. Or you can try a patched r4i-sdhc.com kernel from http://mkiddy.leerik.nl/R4i/. R4iSDHC.com cards are clones of r4i-sdhc.com, this is why this is possible. However it appears to not boot any games on certain cards strangely enough.

I don't think your card has the time limit. But yes if it does. You can test it by setting the date to 2019 if you want.

According to the r4 team it only affects the 2014 and older models. The 2016 models should be fine after using the 3.5b files.

x_master_1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here is my card.
I will try YSMenu.
Could you give me an advice?
20167f3eb4f7-069d-4fc9-b7f1-22ca5286e5d8.jpg

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the r4 team it only affects the 2014 and older models. The 2016 models should be fine after using the 3.5b files.
Are you talking about that blurb about "their" older cards being fake?

I believe the time limit exists on all their current cards. They all use the same kernel, after all. I do not have the GOLD Pro but I do have their others. The hardware should be the same and I have done the testing.

But still it's really just an annoyance, like I mentioned you can just set the clock back when it happens.
Here is my card.
I will try YSMenu.
Could you give me an advice?
I don't think you really need YSmenu for this card. You will lose the RTS support. That team still updates the kernel as well. But you can dual boot if you want. Ignore my instructions and just get the R4i-SDHC folder from Retrogamefan's multicart update. Put the contents of the folder onto the root of your SD.

Last edited by Sleet,

x_master_1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you really need YSmenu for this card. You will lose the RTS support. That team still updates the kernel as well. But you can dual boot if you want. Ignore my instructions and just get the R4i-SDHC folder from Retrogamefan's multicart update. Put the contents of the folder onto the root of your SD.
OK :)
Thanks you so much :)

Hamstermascot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Are you talking about that blurb about "their" older cards being fake?

I believe the time limit exists on all their current cards. They all use the same kernel, after all. I do not have the GOLD Pro but I do have their others. The hardware should be the same and I have done the testing.

But still it's really just an annoyance, like I mentioned you can just set the clock back when it happens.

D.

Hmm. Maybe I'll throw YSmenu on it then. No time limit on that one?

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Maybe I'll throw YSmenu on it then. No time limit on that one?
Nope. You also get folder view. The default kernel can't see any .nds if they are more than one folder deep. Cheat browsing is faster too. The TT-based menu they use is just all-around clunky.

You can either dual-boot or primary boot. Primary booting is needed to bypass the time limit. Only downside is some people including myself have trouble saving in Pokemon BW(2). You might not be affected though. It may not be the card's problem but the SD used.

Hamstermascot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nope. You also get folder view. The default kernel can't see any .nds if they are more than one folder deep. Cheat browsing is faster too. The TT-based menu they use is just all-around clunky.

You can either dual-boot or primary boot. Primary booting is needed to bypass the time limit. Only downside is some people including myself have trouble saving in Pokemon BW(2). You might not be affected though. It may not be the card's problem but the SD used.

Got the YSmenu now and the R4.dat file to make it the primarty boot. Does it mean I still need the other files or can those be ignored and deleted?

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got the YSmenu now and the R4.dat file to make it the primarty boot. Does it mean I still need the other files or can those be ignored and deleted?
The files from the default kernel 3.7b? You can delete them if you want. Might want to keep them though so you can switch more easily if needed.
btw default ysmenu skin isn't great so you might want to find a better one. R4 ones are compatible I believe

Last edited by Sleet,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol