R4I 3ds works on DSL but not even loading on 3ds

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by XxXGodXxX, Nov 19, 2014.

1. XxXGodXxX
    OP

XxXGodXxX Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2014
    United States
    So i bought this card from a friend and it works well but he must have not used it on a 3ds because it will not work. I have tried updating it i have the most recent wood 1.64 and i have the 6.2.0-12 3ds but it will not let me update it. When i try to run the patch file on my DSL it fails the card check. i did a lot of research and i cannot find any helpful information because it seems no one else has had this problem.

2. LiQuid!

LiQuid! Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2003
    United States
    Same for me.

I have purple model 3DS updated to 9.2.0.20U

r4i Gold 3DS bought from here http://www.dsflashcart.com/r4i-gold-3ds-wood-r4i-3ds-flashcard-for-ds-dsi-3ds-p-248.html

Got wood 1.64 firmware from here http://www.r4ids.cn/r4i-download-e.htm

Card works in my old DS original fat model but when I try in 3DS I get "Error has occurred" and it tells me to turn off power.

I had this card working on older 3DS firmware when I first bought it (when Pokemon XY came out last year), but since I keep it updated to play Pokemon card doesn't work, even tho I read everywhere it should work even on latest 3DS update.

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
  4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I have no experience with the R4i 3DS Gold, the only advice I can provide is that you have to update the firmware (not menu/kernel) on a console that still runs it. If the installer check fails, your card might be incompatible/not genuine. Be sure to make a distinction between the DSL and the DSi/3DS installers - they do differ. ;)

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Sounds like it's one of those infamously bad "Rev C" carts, like I have. I haven't severed the line on mine, I just keep it for my DSi, and it's good. I bought the new RTS model for my 2DS, and it plays even on the newest firmware. Nintendo gave up on blocking DS-mode flashcarts to go after the bigger fish, probably because the DS wasn't generating them profits anymore.