Hacking R4i 3DS - R4DS WOOD, Bought from modchipsdirect. Not working on 3DS FW 9.5.0-22.

mckenziesdaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i 3DS - R4DS wood today, I googled wood firmware and extracted it and put it on my Sd card. The card shows up as some JPN region game. But once I hit start, The screen flashs white and then goes black. I tried popping the card in a DSLite to see if maybe it was the DS, But the DS doesn't even read the card. What am I doing wrong. I just noticed my 3DS is on 9.5.0-23U. I guess thats why it isn't working. Am I right? I went here
and I downloaded the newest kernel v1.81, and dragged everything in the zip to my SD card and the same thing.

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
The website you've linked to is for the R4i SDHC 3DS, if that's the version you've got then try downloading the firmware from the official site here: http://r4i-sdhc.com/downloade.asp

http://3ds-flashcard.com/blog/3ds-9-5-0-22-released-which-r4-3ds-flashcart-support-new-3ds3ds2ds/

The above link is using slightly older firmware, but states that 1.81b firmware should work fine. Are you sure you've installed the firmware properly? Do you have another SD card to try?

Edit: I could be wrong but I'm sure only certain models support wood firmware such as the R4i Gold, just use the firmware from the official site I've linked to above.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i 3DS - R4DS wood today, I googled wood firmware and extracted it and put it on my Sd card. The card shows up as some JPN region game. But once I hit start, The screen flashs white and then goes black. I tried popping the card in a DSLite to see if maybe it was the DS, But the DS doesn't even read the card. What am I doing wrong. I just noticed my 3DS is on 9.5.0-23U. I guess thats why it isn't working. Am I right? I went here
and I downloaded the newest kernel v1.81, and dragged everything in the zip to my SD card and the same thing.
The one that you buy from modchipsdirect uses the firmware/kernel from this webpage.

http://www.r4ids.cn/r4i-download-e.htm

Scroll down until you see where it says "Newest WOOD R4 Kernel" and click download. Once that is installed it should work fine. if you happen to have a extra router laying around you can use that to see if the r4 card has any updates past that through wifi.

mckenziesdaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one that you buy from modchipsdirect uses the firmware/kernel from this webpage.

http://www.r4ids.cn/r4i-download-e.htm

Scroll down until you see where it says "Newest WOOD R4 Kernel" and click download. Once that is installed it should work fine. if you happen to have a extra router laying around you can use that to see if the r4 card has any updates past that through wifi.
Downloaded it and installed. white flash than Black screen, it does nothing. tried it on another 3ds and my NDSL same thing. Using 8GB formated to fat32 32kb.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it the Konami game? If so you have the same card as me and it works fine on mine. Are you sure you put the firmware on the SD card as well as the roms?

mckenziesdaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it the Konami game? If so you have the same card as me and it works fine on mine. Are you sure you put the firmware on the SD card as well as the roms?
Yes a Konami game. And yes again, Extracting the linked to zip file to root of SD card. Putting roms onto the root as well. There is only one NDS file and that is my testing game.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes a Konami game. And yes again, Extracting the linked to zip file to root of SD card. Putting roms onto the root as well. There is only one NDS file and that is my testing game.
Faulty card or SD card maybe? Works fine for me. Nintendo haven't blocked any flash carts (DS) since 7.1 firmware

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the roms they do not need to be on the root of the sd card. You can make a folder called "games" to put the roms inside of.

mckenziesdaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Faulty card or SD card maybe? Works fine for me. Nintendo haven't blocked any flash carts (DS) since 7.1 firmware
I got 2 of those cards from modchipsdirect and they both do it. I also tried 2 different SD cards one 8GB and one 32GB different brands. Can you do me a favor? just copy right of your SD contents and send them to me? since I am unsure what to do. I found my old acekard 2 to check the NDSL and it does work. As do both SD cards in the acekard 2.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have the same card. Format the mSD with Sd formatter v4 from sd association. Reload your files. Make sure you are in sysnand and not gateway mode or classic mode.

I also have two of those cards from modchipdirect waiting for me at the post office. So I can test those out tomorrow night and see what they do. Did you just receive it? If so they are likely from the same batch.

mckenziesdaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have the same card. Format the mSD with Sd formatter v4 from sd association. Reload your files. Make sure you are in sysnand and not gateway mode or classic mode.

I also have two of those cards from modchipdirect waiting for me at the post office. So I can test those out tomorrow night and see what they do. Did you just receive it? If so they are likely from the same batch.
yeah just got it today, Well yesterday.

mckenziesdaddy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C
ool. Try what I said and also try a different .nds file, but that shouldn't stop wood from loading up.

The launcher needs to be in the root. I forget what it is called, DS_MENU.dat or something like that.
That reminds me, did you try renaming the ds menu dat file to _DSMENU.DAT to see if that works?
I tried both on both cards and the same thing. Could both cards be bad?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried both on both cards and the same thing. Could both cards be bad?
It is possible but not probable. There is probably some user error here, we just don't know yet what it is. I have a working one so if I stick my working mSD in one of my new ones and it doesn't work we know there is a bad batch. I will be able to upload my working copy of the software (no games) to Dropbox or something for you.

I have had Sd card readers start flaking out and mess up the sd card contents before. They look fine but doent work with the r4. So there are several possibilities here.

Can you take a screen shot of your directory structure and post it here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on