Hacking R4i 1.4 user screwed up :(

SilverxSliver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just recently (today) got an r4i 1.4 from my friend, and when putting my own SD card in, i launched fwup142c.nds.

Now, the card doesn't start up :(

When i start it up with a fresh format, with the 1.55 kernel, i get a ? Menu in a red box.

Instead of the old Star Wars icon, it's a Spongebob icon.

What can I do to fix this? :(

any help is appreciated.

SilverxSliver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm actually using a DS Lite right now.

I upgraded it to the 1.55 kernel at r4i-sdhc.com, which is the latest one.

Still doesn't work :(

SilverxSliver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
photo1pyo.jpg

That's it, do you need any more pictures?

Also, going to eat dinner, i'll be back soon.

Peter Gatens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
menu in the red box problem means you were using the incorrect firmware. And the card you have is an old r4i card. you are using it on your DSi or Just the DS? Another, this card can not work on the DSi V1.44.

SilverxSliver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well the update ran, that's for sure :L
photo11v.jpg

And I know it doesn't work on my DSi, but it should be working on my DS Lite, which it isn't :c

EDIT:

ndsw.jpg

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your micro sd card is setup correctly, as far as I can tell. BUT, the flash card you have, updates are embedded into the kernel, so my question to you is where did you get the "fwup142c.nds" update file from? It appears like you can semi-bricked your flash card by using an incompatible flash file.

Peter Gatens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked the screenshot of your card, why your card is a blue one. have never seen a blue one, as far as i know, the official r4i -sdhc card should be the black one. or it is just the camera problem? or it is a fake r4i-sdhc card?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I checked the screenshot of your card, why your card is a blue one. have never seen a blue one, as far as i know, the official r4i -sdhc card should be the black one. or it is just the camera problem? or it is a fake r4i-sdhc card?
There's a blue one, it's just a fake of the fake r4i heh...

SilverxSliver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the cart itself is black, with a red backing place near the gold connectors.

The only blue on the card is on the Wi Fi symbol.

it's probably my camera, it's an ipod touch camera, 0.7 mpx :P

As for the 1.4.2 update, i'm not really sure where i got it from :( I screwed up. The friend who gave it to me said to update it so it'd work with my DSi, but....I didn't read up on it before doing it >_> should have.

Is there any way to cancel the fwup thing? like downgrade back to what it used to be?

Peter Gatens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wow, clone of clone, things become more complicated, then i am afraid i don't know how to deal with the clone of clone card. the only thing i can suggest is to format the SD card and put the V1.55b again.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Wow, clone of clone, things become more complicated, then i am afraid i don't know how to deal with the clone of clone card. the only thing i can suggest is to format the SD card and put the V1.55b again.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to cancel the fwup142c.nds file update I used? You know, like downgrade back to what it used to be?
Not possible. And unbricking your card is going to be tough because the team embeds the update into the kernel, so another card would have to run that specific kernel before you could do a switch out and put your semi-bricked card into your DS Lite and re-flash it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    Veho @ Veho: Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.