R4DS w/ OEM 1GB

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by mikeneezy, Jun 7, 2007.

Jun 7, 2007

R4DS w/ OEM 1GB by mikeneezy at 11:04 PM (1,150 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. mikeneezy
    OP

Newcomer mikeneezy Member

United States
    I just ordered R4 from dealxtreme and it should be here within a week or so. After doing some research I'm afraid I didnt get to order the R4 package that comes with the "japanese" kingston model. Does the OEM one have any drawbacks? Is is true it cant handle some games as fast and might be choppy? Just want to clear up a few things.

Thanks in advance ....

2. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the card locks up on castlevania portrait of ruin, and has problems on tony hawk, but most games run fine.

3. mikeneezy
    OP

Newcomer mikeneezy Member

United States
    Ok, cool.

I actually have both of the castlevanias so I'm good.

Thanks dbgtdob.

So why do people make a big deal if they buy toshiba or a japanese kingston? I mean if t doesnt work for a few games
    then why would it matter? I mean you still get to play all the others.

4. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I don't have an R4 mikeneezy (I'm a ds-x guy myself) but I have been reading up on compatibility and from what I understand, the problem with non-japanese kingstons is that if 2 or 3 games don't work now, a year or two down the line, the manufacturers/developers may put something into the code that renders even more releases unusable on the card. Of course, the other conjecture is that these are just faulty rips in the first place, but who knows?

5. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    what's OEM exactly i mean from which company etc.

6. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Er not sure what you mean, but OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer, so when usually OEM cards are some form of unbranded/generic product.

7. nds_gamerz

Newcomer nds_gamerz Advanced Member

United States
    there is no such thing as an oem kingston sd card. because if there was then we would be hearing about some aftermarket kingston cards. basicly they just have manufactures from different country's they all are legit kingston factory's. i have one from japan and my friend gave me his he said it wasn't japan but wasn't sure where it came from because that didn't bother him, all that matters is the company that made it. it works fine with me with p.o.r. and any other game, no freezes or anything.

8. sipoon

Member sipoon GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    i think as long as you format it fat 16 with 64k clusters....my no name brand runs tony hawk ok, p.o.r hasnt crashed yet

9. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I want to add that the problems are only related to Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam. Tony Hawk's American Sk8land works perfectly.
    Downhill Jam has some serious slowdown and graphical errors though, it's really near to unplayable...

But if you don't mind Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam you can just put Castlevania Portrait of Ruins in the case with your R4 and you can have all the games you want to play [​IMG]