R4DS transflash adapter killed my microSD card!

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by shark1987, May 18, 2007.

1. shark1987
    OP

Member shark1987 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had moved everything out of my dorm and I forgot my SD adapter so i could use the media bay on my laptop. So I was bummed but then I realized I still had that adapter that came with the R4 laying around, so I thought I would use it for the first time.

So I plug it in and I was going to put some music on my Kingston microSD card (Non-Japan) and it reads it all. I moved some files around and everything was alright. Then I put in my Kingston Japan card to put different games on and BAM, right when I plug the USB adapter in again it freezes my laptop and i had to manually turn it off. So then I put the card in my R4DS and it just says "Loading... " on the top screen and just stays there. When I got back to my desktop and had the SD adapter I tried using that and it won't read the card either. It says that there is no media in the drive. It also won't let me format the card again as it won't even recognize that it's plugged in.

So I'm not sure what I should do. It really sucks though cause it had all my save games on it and I didn't back them up at all. So that really screwed me over.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. ImperialX

Member ImperialX GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    The R4 Adapter does get very hot and there are very rare occasions where it DOES burn the MicroSD Card, although it's virtually impossible for it to burn it if you've only used it once...

3. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I've used the MicroSD reader that came with my R4 several times now with no problem. And I own two R4s, both of which work fine along with the readers, also using kingston 1gb japan btw.

Though it might be because I was a late adopter, I have heard that the new (as in the batch I've got) R4DS's have better quality microSD readers (they certainly seem to be quite good quality) yours might have been an earlier batch with the ones that arent so good.

4. shark1987
    OP

United States
    yea, i got mine the first week of January. i think that's right after they came out so i got the early batch. but i touched it and it wasn't hot. it's really strange

5. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    What is the color of your microSD card reader?

I heard the blue one was really nasty but the black and silver ones work fine.

6. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    My blue one works better than my silver one. My sisters silver one, however, kicks mine [​IMG] Both speed, and the fact it actually works.

7. shark1987
    OP

United States
    yep, mine is the blue transparent one. it's really cheap as i've now looked at it. if you don't apply pressure just right the casing falls off

it just pisses me off cause i was like half way done with castlevania on it and now i have to start over. atleast i had finished prime hunters. and i was really far in mario bros. dang.....