R4DS.. Right thing?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by madmk, Dec 28, 2006.

Dec 28, 2006

R4DS.. Right thing? by madmk at 1:44 PM (1,813 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. madmk
    OP

Member madmk GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ok, so I was waiting a few months and was one who anticipated the DS-X, but at £79.99 it was too expensive. Now with the release of all these new Slot-1 Devices I got excited, and this morning I bought an R4DS after reading it had good compatability in someone's thread (and it looked cool from pictures [​IMG]).

Did I do the right thing though? It cost $45.50 with shipping which converts to £23~, which isn't really a wallet killer. I ordered it from http://www.gameyeeeah.com/index.php which is listed on R4DS.net, so it must be legit. Are there any other British people who've ordered from here before? It was either this or waiting for the M3 Simply (Supercard was out of the question as I've heard its not great).

Also, what is some decent and reasonably priced MicroSD memory to get and from where?

2. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I believe you did the right thing. I have already canceled my order (for Supercard) after hearing the success people are having with the R4 and since the M3 DS Simply and it are OEM'd from the same company, getting either would probably be a better decision than a Supercard DS (ONE). If you are looking for Micro SD cards, Kingston is probably you best bet. 512MB or more should be good. Kingmax should also be good. Both companies OEM from Toshiba.

3. Teun

Member Teun GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    GameYeeeah is very good. Ordered a M3 from them and it got delivered within a week! (I live in The Netherlands)

Oh, and I don't know about the R4 [​IMG]

4. aristo

Newcomer aristo Advanced Member

South Africa
    I've got R4DS yesterday, and the experience has been great.
    I bought it from Divineo China, not the cheapest of them all, but speedy shipping was good.
    Apparently R4DS and M3 Simply shares same hardware, probably similar software as well.

I would recommend MicroSD from Kingston if you haven't bought one yet. Don't get Sandisk
    as they are the one of most slowest memory available.

5. Mars

Member Mars Radioactive Propaganda Minister

United States
    i think you made the right choice with the R4 or I hope so because I'm ordering one soon.

it's funny, when i visited R4ds.net it says you can buy an R4 at gamersection.com .... but gamersection doesn't even sell it.

6. madmk
    OP

Member madmk GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Nice, yeah, I'm sure its a decent card. I ordered 1GB Kingston MicroSD before you said aristo [​IMG] It just seemed a good deal (£19~ from www.mymemory.co.uk). Can't wait for this card to come now.

7. tehcamel

Member tehcamel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    im not down with the cloneshell slot1 cards and the scds one has had overall poor feedback. those who have allready recieved their r4 have given it praise. good rom compatability and it is not picky about microsd either. and you dont have to fiddle with microsd speed and save state size which is a big plus in my book. im either getting an r4 or a m3 simply.

8. aristo

Newcomer aristo Advanced Member

South Africa
    I believe either R4 or M3 Simply is going to be a good choice.

I choose R4 just because M3 Simply still don't have web page up regarding their new cart, while R4 is updating their website every second day or so...

I personally prefer a product with decent webpage to back their
    product up... I really hope that those teams... M3, Supercard, R4DS
    hire somebody with good English... [​IMG];

About 2 weeks ago, I sent email to R4 team asking when the product will be released..
    I got 1 line email replied back..

'maybe later'

[​IMG];

9. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    That is very strange. Vincent (the guy who I was in correspondence to) had very good English...

Also, I've got an R4 and I think it's excellent! It really is a good card.

- Sam

10. marblearch111

Newcomer marblearch111 Member

United Kingdom
    1gb micro sd sandisk standard from Play.com for £17.99 (free P&P), you cant go wrong with sandisk, i ordered SC one & r4, SCone came today, i havent tested yet as my pc is not recognising my card reader!! R4 will come soon.

i bought SCone first (from RHS) and after reading negative comments about it , i tried to cancel but it had already been shipped, so i ordered a R4 because from the packaging, imo they look very professional and look like they put a lot of effort, their website has a professional look to it aswel, i will keep the better of the 2 and sell the other to a firend

11. SoSly

Newcomer SoSly Member

Canada
    can someone point me in the direction of some reviews/mini-reviews or even comments on the r4ds? can't seem to find anything...

also, does the r4ds work okay with a sandisk 1gb microsd card? (non ultra II version)

thanks a bunch!

12. glitchbit

Member glitchbit GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am a very big fan of Kingmax memory and they do not OEM out from Toshiba. Kingmax owns their own manufacturering plant and as far as I know they make all of their own memory. They are not just the brand they are also the manufacturers of it to.

13. glitchbit

Member glitchbit GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Also from a speed test on the supercard lite the normal Sandisk got rated something like 9/10 where as I think the Kingston actually got 7/10. Now that very well could have been the fault of the device and nothing to do with the card but to me as long as this card is built well I doubt anyone would notice a difference between them. And the ultra II by sandisk was rated a perfect 10/10 by whoever it was. I wish I had the link...