Hacking r4ds replace for....????

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

Having a R4 DS from almost day 1, I think it's time to move on (and give the R4 to my girlfriend)
I am having a hard time in finding which model to buy now.
I have narrowed it down to the so-called gbatemp 'gold awards' being
Supercard DS One v3
Acekard 2
CycloDS Evolution
G6DS Real

and adding DS TopToy (DSTT)

Which card gives me the best buy? Not moneywise but like compatibility (also with the latest roms and difficult/perfomance intensive titles) , stability, support.

wuki

Trophies
XP
Country
I personally have taken a liking to my Supercard DS One v3. Although the skinning takes a little getting used to but it's not a deal breaker for me. I've traded up my R4 for a DsONE after SP3 came out.

Note: i do own all the above cards except the G6DS REAL.

You also might want to take a look at the R4 III which i saw a couple of days ago. Supposedly it's a clone of the R4 but with SDHC compatibility. I haven't tried it, so i can't recommend it yet.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a noob to patching games and general screwing around with options and stuff (i've been pirating stuff for around 25 years now), but if I just want what would essentially be an R4DS with SDHC support (read: simple cart), what card would that be? I don't need slowmo or RTS abilities (but RTS could be nice fpr a couple games). I just want an SDHC card with AT LEAST all the functionality and simplicity of the R4 (that R4 v3 is NOT an option. Don't want no lame clone)

Now, I'm considering a CycloDS EVO (or something like the DSTT), but I wonder. How much dorking around with options do you have to do for things like savetypes, cheats, media abilities and booting a slot2 cart (not a lame 3in1) as compared to the DS Games, Moonshell, Boot slot2 of the R4 which has always been enough for me?

From what I remember, the SCDS1 makes you dork around in menus for a variety of things like savetypes and if you wish to use cheats and whatnot (correct me if I'm wrong) so that card seems like too much poking around in superfluous options to bother with. Is that correct?

All I want is a simple intuitive SDHC cart for a replacement for my aging R4. The card must also be 100% compatible with the official GBAtemp cheat dat.

Oh, and another thing.....I want the SDHC support to be more than just 4gigs. 8gig support is the absolute minimum I will tolerate.

An answer those burning questions would be great.

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DSTT is basically a R4 + SDHC (thats is if your using ysmenu) Get it if you just want to play games.

But if you want rts etc, get the cyclo if you can or the SCDS1 which is just behind the cyclo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c