R4DS Problem

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by brobinso, Jan 9, 2007.

Jan 9, 2007

R4DS Problem by brobinso at 2:50 PM (3,063 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. brobinso
    OP

Newcomer brobinso Newbie

I've had an R4DS for a couple of days now and I'm getting some very strange behaviour...
    I can play games fine, but when I power off the DS and power on again, I receive a 'Couldn't find_DS_MENU.DAT'.

When I check the contents of the MicroSD on my PC it shows up completely blank, but the available capacity shows that there's something still on it.

I'm using a brand new Sandisk 1GB card, have tried FAT, FAT32
    Have tried with another brand 128MB card (not sure what the make is, came with a Blackberry Pearl)
    Have tried using the Sandisk card adapter and the card reader included in the R4 package

I have tried both trimmed and untrimmed roms, different versions of the roms, but can't get anything to work

Any ideas where my problem lies?

2. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Could be a virus messing up your .dat files :/
    Try downloading another update from somewhere else and see if you still get the error.

3. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Try formatting the MicroSD card again and see if that fixes it. Maybe the DS_Menu.dat file is bad. You could always try downloading it again.

4. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    First time I put DS organise on my TF card something went squiffy and one of the language files was listed as being 5.3 gig and undeletable [​IMG]

A format sorted that out, so maybe try that.

5. brobinso
    OP

Newcomer brobinso Newbie

I've tried re-formating multiple times, so I'll try downloading the 1.05 kernel from one of the mirrors in the links thread (I used r4ds.net)

6. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    that sounds kind of worrying. I have a suggestion this may not help but might give an idea of at which stage the problem occurs if the 1.05 kernel does not fix it.

Put on the 1.05 Kernel and one rom:

Power on your ds wait till the menu loads then remove the card before you power down. Check to see if it will boot again/check the files in flash reader

Do the same this time start the rom get to a point where it's not likley to be loading things i.e. a static menu, and rip out the card check if it has files on it still.

Then do the same thing get to same menu and power off ds and check if the files are there.

7. brobinso
    OP

Newcomer brobinso Newbie

Still no joy [​IMG]
    I'v re-downloaded the 1.05 kernel from a couple of different sites, even tried the 1.03 kernel from the cd still messes things up

It's very strange and only seems to do it after it has saved something to the card

8. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I'm not sure if I can help you but after you have formatted the microsd does it show up as 968 MB available on the disk? If not I would guess it is a faulty microsd card. Take it back to the store you got it from for an exchange or refund. I had a Unity 1GB SD card that when formatted would only show 750 MB free after a format. I took it back after confirming that it wasn't my supercard SD that was the problem.

9. brobinso
    OP

Newcomer brobinso Newbie

The card seems ok and shows 968mb, I've used it in my camera fine, copied large files on and off my pc no problem, and like I said, I've tried another brand 128mb card and it still does the same.

The only things I haven't tried is using the card in another ds or trying another r4 card in my ds, and seeing as I don't have either, that's going to be a bit tricky !

10. False Hope

Newcomer False Hope Advanced Member

Maybe the R4 itself is faulty, you never know.