R4DS + M3DS-S Loader 1.12 finally released!

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Summary of feedback:
Positives - "Yeah, I appreciate what the R4 team have done. They've fixed a compatibility issue."
Negatives - "I have no concept whatsoever of coding or microprocessors, and expect that if I can't learn to do something, I should not complain about things which people who do know are doing for me... But I will complain because I am a douchebag."

Coming from an embedded systems, microprocessor and portable systems background (electronics engineer) in 68k, ARM, x86, FPGA, AVR and PIC, what you think is such a simple fix as the ARM7 fix might have been quite complex to implement. It's easy to use the tool on your PC, which has plenty of RAM and processing power, but to develop an on the fly fix for the R4's proc and the ARM7/9 procs in the DS Could possibly be hampered by the fact that A) The processors and RAM in the DS were only designed to handle just the game, so likely processing is done by R4's proc. B) RAM is a valueable commodity in embedded/portable systems, get the RAM handling for extra implemented processes right and you won't waste any, which would cause game slowdown. PC apps these days are the worst in terms of memory handling.
tongue.gif

Unless you can read ARM7/9 opcode in your sleep, don't diss what you don't know, brutha... for real!
tongue.gif

- Adam

But in your snide attempt to deride "whiners" you forget that this isn't something free anyones complaining about. This is support for a product that was PAID for, so therefore the best support is expected and very much deserved. 100% compatibility is advertised, and must be met. So, your attempt at acting like a genius just failed. Kindly step down off of your soapbox.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Summary of feedback:
Positives - "Yeah, I appreciate what the R4 team have done. They've fixed a compatibility issue."
Negatives - "I have no concept whatsoever of coding or microprocessors, and expect that if I can't learn to do something, I should not complain about things which people who do know are doing for me... But I will complain because I am a douchebag."

Keep it civil, if this turns into a flame war I'll shut it down.
lecture.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
There are many devices that were not initially SDHC compliant that had their firmware patched to allow SDHC support -- phones, cameras, etc. There is no reason why the R4 cannot do the same. I wish more of the people on these forums actually knew how memory architecture in these devices worked so they would shut up about how it is impossible. It is ABSOLUTELY possible, whether the R4 team ever get around to doing it is another question.

"Compatibility with 2 gigabyte and larger SD cards has been poor, due to the SD/MMC protocol's using a 32-bit address field denominated in bytes. The SDHC standard addresses this limitation by using 32-bit block addresses instead. Both SD and SDHC are traditionally accessed as 512-byte blocks on 512-byte boundaries, so the change to host software or firmware is minor but required. Before SDHC was standardized, various manufacturers "extended" the SD control block fields for their 2 GB and 4 GB cards in different ways. Those cards are incompatible with many SD and some SDHC devices, as they conform to neither standard. All SDHC readers work with standard SD cards.[8]

Many older devices will not accept the 2 GB size even though it is in the revised standard. The following statement is from the SD association specification:

"To make 2 GByte card, the Maximum Block Length (READ_BL_LEN=WRITE_BL_LEN) shall be set to 1024 bytes. However, the Block Length, set by CMD16, shall be up to 512 bytes to keep consistency with 512 bytes Maximum Block Length cards (Less than and equal 2 Gbyte cards)."[9]

Since all cards up to and including the 1 GB card use a fixed 512 block size, some device drivers do not handle the larger block size and will not even recognize the 2 GB card. For example, the SanDisk web site shows examples of devices such as the iPAQ 1910 that will support only 1 GB cards and the Epson Photo RX300 Technical support says they support only 1 GB cards in the SD slot. Users of many early card readers have found that they also support only cards up to 1 GB."

I wrote this section in the Wikipedia reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digita...nd_larger_cards

Later,

Alex

Just thought that i quote this back for ppl who didn't get it. Still excellent work R4... it's just not much appreciation
For those who want to complain... consider that this update was never released then

iq_132

Trophies
Website
neosource.1emu.net
XP
Country
United States
What most people don't get about why the R4 most likely cannot support SDHC is that the cart's program (not the loader) [see XXXX - R4 DS (U)] is probably Read-Only. This means that there is no way to write to the cart program to allow it to access the SDHC, meaning that there is no way for it to even load the loader on the SDHC.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What most people don't get about why the R4 most likely cannot support SDHC is that the cart's program (not the loader) [see XXXX - R4 DS (U)] is probably Read-Only. This means that there is no way to write to the cart program to allow it to access the SDHC, meaning that there is no way for it to even load the loader on the SDHC.

Indeed, you can chuck all the tech specs and wikapedia quotes in here you like, if the chip on the physical R4 cart cant be updated - which at this point has never been done - then it will never be able to read SDHC cards...... period...

BTW re-quoting the whole of your wiki post should be regarded as spam, there is no reason for it especially considering its length when a pointer would do.

Until we are in full possession of the facts regarding the R4 hardware itself any "facts" about it's ability to be updated because its a simple change to the way the technology works may be true but with regards to it being possible with the R4 itself, its a surmise or guess at best.

dry.gif

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
was this update really an update? lol I have been using worms with no prob for awhile now.

next update there gonna release the color pink!

SineWaveAu7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But in your snide attempt to deride "whiners" you forget that this isn't something free anyones complaining about. This is support for a product that was PAID for, so therefore the best support is expected and very much deserved. 100% compatibility is advertised, and must be met. So, your attempt at acting like a genius just failed. Kindly step down off of your soapbox.

Yes, I paid for mine, too. I paid for three(!) and gave one to my girlfriend and one to my friend. I just appreciate support when it is readily given, not forced out of someone. 100% ROM Compatibility has been met, so why are we complaining? They said they are working on SDHC compatibility, so let them design, test, redesign, code, hax, and do whatever they have to do. Did you pay for SDHC compatibility? I knew perfectly well that it didn't have it when I bought my carts, and as such, they have no obligation to make the R4 compatible with SDHC. But they said they're trying, so, again, let them try. Who's trying to act like a genius? My (maybe our) generation seem to be the I-want-it-now-and-free generation, but I was always taught by my parents to be patient. Patience is always a virtue.
smile.gif

- Adam

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the update fixes ALL the games that had ARM issues, not just Worms. Worms was just the most popular of the "problem" ROMs. There were others that required the fix, it's just that no one really cared about those games as much.

2 off the top of my head that also required the fix. DS Simple Series 21 (that low-budget third-person shooter) and one of the Disney Princess games. There were others beyond that, I just can't remember what they were right now.

As for the SDHC support.....that would have to be a change in the hardware. R4 updates are purely software. How can you add support for SDHC without updating the hardware? Even if it was somehow possible to do it with software, how would you get the R4 to read the update to support SDHC cards when it can't currently see an SDHC card? Sure, the SDHC code update could be read from a standard microSD, but what good is that? As soon as you turn off the DS....poof! It's gone and you're back to square one.
That's probably the vicious circle the R4 team was in when they tried to add the ability in software and why it took so long for this update to come out and why it seems so underwhelming to everyone now that it is out. They just couldn't do it since the hardware in the R4 apparently can't be flashed.

It's been said that the R4 team plans to release a new R4 that WILL support SDHC. I speculate that the firmware loader won't be different, just the hardware in the R4 will be updated so SDHC can be read by the new card. They probably won't make any other changes besides that hardware tweak.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country

Yes you, like everyone else, paid for your cart but what most people these days seem to forget is that what you bought is a black market product. We can get into the legal technicalities and argue that it's a grey market product but, when it boils down to it, it's a black market product. You most definitely shouldn't be expecting anything from the manafacturers of flash carts other than the device being built well enough to work when you plug it in, and even then you shouldn't assume it's guaranteed - just an expectation.

Flashcarts/Modchips have become so commonplace that people believe that all these devices are just normal everyday expanisions to their system and therefore entitled to the same rights as when they buy a Microsoft product. If you want to know what kind of guarantees and support you're entitled to take your flashcart to your local Trading Standards/Copyright Protection agency and say "I bought this like a year ago and recently they updated it and it didn't let me play the Pokemon game I downloaded against my friend on the Wii".

You'll soon see that the only support your entitled to is legal counsel, and as far as most software houses and Nintendo themselves go it's not support you deserve.

The only reason you get ANY kind of support at all from the flash cart makers is because they want they $$$ that the other flashcarts are getting, not because they want to be the most highly respected company out of them all. Remember that when you talk about flashcart companies you're talking about a criminal enterprise plain and simple. Be grateful that the company still exists. If they got shut down by Nintendo (they've been doing this to backup device makers for a very long time now) do you think that they should still be releasing updates from their jail cell because you're entitled to it and deserve because you paid 30 bucks for an illegal device?

Flashcarts and Modchips really need to go back underground so people understand that these aren't legitimate businesses. You're lucky roms and forums are so easy to find. If you'd have bought one and then couldn't find any sites/forums to get your stuff from would you believe that you're entitled, and in fact deserve, to know where to download roms from because you paid them for the device that let you play the roms?

As for 100% compatability, it is now. You don't need to patch or fix and roms to get them to play on your DS, in my book that makes it 100% compatable.

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland

Yes you, like everyone else, paid for your cart but what most people these days seem to forget is that what you bought is a black market product. We can get into the legal technicalities and argue that it's a grey market product but, when it boils down to it, it's a black market product. You most definitely shouldn't be expecting anything from the manafacturers of flash carts other than the device being built well enough to work when you plug it in, and even then you shouldn't assume it's guaranteed - just an expectation.

Flashcarts/Modchips have become so commonplace that people believe that all these devices are just normal everyday expanisions to their system and therefore entitled to the same rights as when they buy a Microsoft product. If you want to know what kind of guarantees and support you're entitled to take your flashcart to your local Trading Standards/Copyright Protection agency and say "I bought this like a year ago and recently they updated it and it didn't let me play the Pokemon game I downloaded against my friend on the Wii".

You'll soon see that the only support your entitled to is legal counsel, and as far as most software houses and Nintendo themselves go it's not support you deserve.

The only reason you get ANY kind of support at all from the flash cart makers is because they want they $$$ that the other flashcarts are getting, not because they want to be the most highly respected company out of them all. Remember that when you talk about flashcart companies you're talking about a criminal enterprise plain and simple. Be grateful that the company still exists. If they got shut down by Nintendo (they've been doing this to backup device makers for a very long time now) do you think that they should still be releasing updates from their jail cell because you're entitled to it and deserve because you paid 30 bucks for an illegal device?

Flashcarts and Modchips really need to go back underground so people understand that these aren't legitimate businesses. You're lucky roms and forums are so easy to find. If you'd have bought one and then couldn't find any sites/forums to get your stuff from would you believe that you're entitled, and in fact deserve, to know where to download roms from because you paid them for the device that let you play the roms?

As for 100% compatability, it is now. You don't need to patch or fix and roms to get them to play on your DS, in my book that makes it 100% compatable.

You know, every one that know what the flashcart is , know that roms are unlegall buisnes, you dont have to enlight nobody with that genius thought.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Still waiting for Wii Connectivity. This update is useless for me since I'm not interested in playing the fixed game anyway.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok n/m the download play works, apparantly you have to select "cut off" when it connects then it downloads... that wasn't too self explanitory

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop opening pms from @Psionic Roshambo +1