R4DS Hardware not working

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by ahung87, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ahung87
    OP

ahung87 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2007
    Canada
    Hi guys,

I've been using my R4DS for a while now. I picked it up when I went to HONG KONG. It's white with the black R4 sticker on it. Now, I think it is using a chinese firmware since some fonts show up in chinese... anyway... I tried to update the R4DS today and I formatted the card. Being the careless person I am, I forgot to backup the data on the MicroSD card. I downloaded the kernal 1.11 English. When I dragged everything onto the MicroSD and inserted it into my DS, the screen said something like "Hardware incompatible" in chinese characters.

I was wondering if someone could help me to get my R4DS back in working condition.

Thanks!!!

2. Banger

Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

Oct 31, 2007
    United States
    A few others have had that issue, you need to use the Chinese firmware for it to work properly.

3. iq_132

iq_132 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2006
    United States
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    You need to download the 1.11 Chinese kernel or patch the English one to work on Chinese hardware.

4. ahung87
    OP

ahung87 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2007
    Canada
    Sorry but I am new at this. I was wondering if soemone could help me patch this and link me to the chinese firmware. How do I upgrade the firmware?

5. sylux92

sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 15, 2007
    United States
    The chinese firmware can be found at r4ds.com and you just drag and drop it onto the card, but delete the old ds_menu.SYS as the firmware will recreate it.

6. ahung87
    OP

ahung87 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2007
    Canada
    Can I just format the whole sd card and then just copy/paste those files into the root directory of the sd card?

Also, what should I format the card with? (FAT32, FAT, NTSC, and what allocation size?)

7. iritegood

iritegood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2007
    United States
    FAT
    But you don't really need to format it.
    Just do this:
    Backup your data (games music etc)
    Delete everything
    Download chinese v1.11 firmware
    Put it on microSD
    Put games back on card

8. ahung87
    OP

ahung87 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2007
    Canada
    Ok, I will give that a try when I have the time. I'll get back to you guys asap.