R4DS + EZFlash 3in1 Question

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by ai3phx, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ai3phx
    OP

ai3phx Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2007
    United States
    I use the NOR memory to write games to my 3in1 (I dont change games much as I prefer RPGs), but I want to make sure that when I have finished playing my game that I will not lose my saved game for future playing. I see the options to save and restore from Rudolph's tool, but are these methods safe? When I finish playing a game and I want to change out roms, do I just choose to save it and it will stay there forever, or do I need to go into my SD card and save the file manually?

I hope I made this question simple.. I dont know how to be more specific [​IMG] Thanks for any help.

ai3phx

2. Arnold Schwarzen

Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    I just tried this out a few hours ago. It seems that your saves get backed up in the Save folder every time you write a new game on the cart. Make sure you've created a Save folder in the GBA folder. Then when you load another game and it finds the save file in the folder, it will load the save. I think this is how it works. I can't guarantee this and I can't try it now as my battery just ran out. If you want, I could give it a shot and confirm this either tomorrow morning or in a couple of hours (if I'm still awake, that is). I think the restore is if you have saves on your computer that you wanna use with the 3-in-1.

3. ai3phx
    OP

ai3phx Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2007
    United States
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, any information would be great. How did your battery go out? Also, what are the reprocussions of a dead battery? Does the battery charge through the NDS?

4. Arnold Schwarzen

Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Oh, not the battery in the 3-in-1. I meant my DS battery, I gotta recharge that for a few hours. You won't have to charge the 3-in-1's battery or anything.

5. ai3phx
    OP

ai3phx Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2007
    United States
    Oh duh. That makes more sense [​IMG]

6. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    Gov. Schwarzenegger is correct about the save process. You can also back up the save without writing a different game to the cart by pressing (B) in the appropriate screen in the 3in1 tool.

The 3-in-1 does have a rechargeable battery, and it does charge through the DS.

Edit: if you don't run games from PSRAM, you might want to use GBALdr to manage your GBA games & saves instead of Rudolph's 3in1 tool. It has a better interface, and it seems to be a bit less problematic than the 3in1 tool (though I haven't had any major problems with the 3in1 tool myself). If you do switch over, be sure to back up your saves first.