R4DS/3in1-use save file from orig cart?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Griffin, Jul 14, 2008.

Jul 14, 2008
  1. Griffin
    OP

Newcomer Griffin Newbie

United States
    I have an R4DS and a 3in1 expansion pack. I have followed all of the instructions I can find here and elsewhere. What I AM able to do is to transfer my GBA game from the original game cartridge to the R4 memory, and then transfer it to the 3in1 using Rudolph's utilities. I can then run my GBA game fine. Totally cool, just what I wanted to do. BUT...

I can not seem to transfer the save file from my original game cartridge to the R4 to get it to the 3in1. I am deep within a game, and I would like to continue it, not start over. Is there a way to do this? Have I just been missing something along the way? I (think) I have tried every option on the utilities to transfer, but I only get the original game code itself, not the save file. Hopefully, I have missed something, and it is possible to transfer the save file as well.

Maybe it is the game itself, which is the original Legend of Zelda game. Anybody know if the save file from this game can be transferred to the R4/3in1?

I also want to transfer an NDS game save file as well (Brain Age I). I haven't tried that yet, but I am wondering if it possible to transfer save files at all from original game cartridges (NDS or GBA), or if you always have to start the game from scratch.

I am new to the R4DS/3in1 (obviously), but I can follow instructions, if someone can point me to some that explain this. Or, if you can tell me it is just not possible to do, so I don't waste any more time on this.

Thanks for any/all help.

Griffin

2. putifreak

Member putifreak GBAtemp Regular

Germany
  3. Griffin
    OP

Newcomer Griffin Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the reply. These are the utilities I am already using. I can transfer the ROM file, but the options to backup/restore the save files are dimmed out. I guess I should have been more specific as to what I have already tried. This is the only GBA game I presently have, so I wasn't sure if those menu selections are always dim, or only on some games.

If it helps, I am looking at the GBA Backup Tool now, and it says that the SAVE type is EEPROM. Is there something different I need to do to save this type of file? Or a different utility? FYI, the ROM size is 4MB, if that is helpful at all.

I know there is a saved game on the cartridge, as I can run the game from the original cart, and my saved game is there.

Again, any/all help is appreciated!

Griffin

4. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
  5. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    EEPRom cannot be accessed properly from a DS, so you need a slot-2 flashcart with DLDI support and run GBA homebrew or use a GBA with an Xboo cable

6. Griffin
    OP

Newcomer Griffin Newbie

United States
    Yes, I have those and have tried them before i got the 3in1. Seemed to work fine, but after the transfer would complete 100%, I would an error message saying the transfer did not complete correctly (or something similar, I don't recall the exact wording). I would have the file on my pc, but when I transferred it to my DS and tried to run the the game it would say that the save file was corrupted and needed to be recreated. I had already ordered the 3in1, so I figured I would try it with that. Right now, I am focused on getting my GBA game save file transferred. When I get some time, i will try to transfer the NDS save file. (I was already able to transfer the NDS ROM.)

Thanks for the links - i will check them out when I get back to the NDS transfer.

Griffin

7. Griffin
    OP

Newcomer Griffin Newbie

United States
    So, is the 3in1 NOT a DLDI cart? Did I buy the wrong slot-2 cart? I thought DLDI was implemented (or could be implemented) on the Slot 1 cart.

I have done a bunch of reading on DLDI, and there is just too much info out there, most of it assumes I already understand all the ins and outs of DLDI, and would know which of the dozens of utilities and drivers available apply to my situation. Right now, I am unsure whether I need a DLDI driver/utility for my R4 or for my 3in1, or for my GBA game cart, or all three, none of the above, etc.

My understanding is that the R4 that I recently purchased had auto DLDI support, which I assumed (maybe incorrectly) meant that I did not have to bother DLDI patching anything. After more reading today, I am wondering if what I need to do is patch my original GBA game cart with DLDI? Sounds dangerous.

One more side note: I am able to run the GBA ROM off of the NOR memory of my 3in1, and create a new save file. This is actually the ideal situation for me, as the 3in1 then functions just like the original game cart. But when I run the GBA Backup program with the 3in1 cart inserted, I get the same results as the original game - that is, I can not backup the save file to my R4 - those options are dimmed out. I can transfer the game to SRAM, and create a new save file in SRAM, and then I can copy the save file back. A little more trouble, I would prefer to be able to run it off of NOR, and occasionally transfer the save file back to the R4, and hence, my PC. But, I can't transfer my current save file from my GBA game to SRAM to get the whole thing started. Aaakkk!

Can anybody clarify this for me? I am no tech slouch by any means, but I am not really interested in becoming a DLDI expert just to run one GBA game off of my 3in1. One of my concerns is that the GBA cart with the save file on it I bought used from a game store, and I have no idea how long the battery will work. I would like to be able to back up the save file to my R4 memory/pc for safekeeping.

Thanks again,
    Griffin

8. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    dldi is a way for homebrew authors to write to the different file structures of the different flash kits. if a file needs to save or create a directory (etc) it requires dldi or it requires to be coded for a specific cart. dldi just allowed authors to stop coding for carts and code a library that was patachable by the end user. the firmware now auto dldi patches a file on the fly before loading so that the file can make use of the carts file system. if you lauch a file from inside a seperate homebrew (moonshell, dsorganize, etc) the file will not be dldi patched by the firmware. want to read more about dldi this is the place: http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DLDI

with that said (if it made sense to you) none of your gba games are dldi patched, can be dldi patched, or need to be dldi patched. however the copy of rudolph's tools will need to be patched to be able to write to your slot1 card, or just let the firmware autopatch it.

the basic idea here is that you put your gba roms somewhere on your flash kit.
    you launch rudolph's tools and follow the onscreen info to flash the game either to the PSRam or NOR. which ram you use is dependent on 1) the size of the rom and 2) if you want to keep the rom on the 3-in-1 and let the battery store the save. eeprom is a way some gba games saved, rudolph's tools will auto patch the gba rom when it flashes to the 3-in-1 so your save types will function correctly with sram. when you are done playing a game was flashed to PSRam you need to dump the sram or lose the info. only NOR is saved after the cart loses power from the NDS.

make sure you are using the most recent tool and not the old out of date one. rudolph moved onto a new tool with a new name. you can grab it off his blog site here: http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rudolph/nds...pLoader_057.zip.

now back to saves.. i have only used the nds tool to dump a save file from a retail cart to my m3 lite. it worked perfectly, quickly and the first time. i have not tried (or read about) dumping gba saves from a retail cart. the gbabackup tool text file was never translated to english (as far as i know) so you should just try some google searched and try to find a walkthrough. i suspect why you can't dump from slot2 to slot1 is because the save in NOR is still in Sram. you need to use the loader to dump the sram for the rom you are playing.

its late here so i have no idea if anything i just typed makes any sense, but i hope i helped?

-another world

9. Griffin
    OP

Newcomer Griffin Newbie

United States
    Yes, it all made sense - thank you for the explanation. I have been able to save my game roms to Sram and from my game cart to my Slot 1 card, load it back to the 3in1, every thing works fine. Rudolph's utility seems to be already patched for the R4.

But, still no luck in getting my original save off of my orig retail game cart. All I have been able to do is to create a new game save.

I will do (still) more google searches to see what i can find out.

Thanks for the info!

Griffin

10. Fat D

Germany
    the problem is that in your setup, only the Slot-1 card has a file system accessible via DLDI. For backing up EEPROM saves, you need to access the file system from GBA mode, which cannot access Slot-1.
    It is not really a mistake to buy a 3in1, as it is a disadvantage only under a few certain special circumstances. Unfortunately, the GBA games you own are one of these circumstances.
    If you have a GBA (best if normal or SP), it would be best to get a cheap extra link cable (wich WILL be destroyed) and a parallel port cable for the PC and hack together an Xboo cable ( http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#auxxbo...amultibootcable ). You can then use SendSave by Chishm ( http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/SendSave/index.html ) and Xboo Communicator ( http://www.devkitpro.org/downloads/xboo-communicator/ ) to dump a save. If not, or if this is too complicated for you, you will need an additional cheap Slot-2 card with memory card slot and some sort of GBA support (so no Supercard Rumble).

11. Griffin
    OP

Newcomer Griffin Newbie

United States
    I might buy an additional Slot-2 card. Which one(s) would be the one to buy?

Thanks for your help,

Griffin

12. Griffin
    OP

Newcomer Griffin Newbie

United States
    I have looked at a number of slot-2 cards, and they all seem to list pretty much the same capabilities when it comes to playing GBA games, saving ROMS, etc. These are the same capabilities that the 3in1 listed. None specifically say they will transfer a save file from EEPROM to a Slot 1 card. So I am not sure which slot 2 card will do what I want, namely to copy the save file from my retail game cart's EEPROM to my R4 card, so I can transfer it to either my 3in1 card, or whatever replacement Slot 2 card I may get. I don't want to buy another Slot 2 card (even a cheap one) if it ultimately won't do what I want.

Can anybody point me to a Slot 2 card that they know will do this?

Thanks,

Griffin

13. Fat D

Germany
    You need to see if it has a MicroSD slot and if there is a DLDI patch available for it. The Supercard might do the job, its inadequacy in commercial ROM compatibility should be compensated for you by the 3in1 and its file system can be accessed via DLDI.