Hacking R4 worth it?

• Thread starter spectral
  • Start date
  • Views 2,667
  • Replies 10
S

spectral

OP
Is the R4 worth getting if I already have a SCCF? I'm keen to have a slot 1 device rather than slot 2 but dont know if its really worth it. Are they that much better? Am I better of waiting for something new? Also if I do get one does anyone know somewhere to get one where I wont be charged import tax(I'm in the UK). So that would mean its under £18 or they mark the value as under £18

Densen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have an R4 and it's great. I've never had a slot 2 device so I can't compare for you, but I can say what the good points of the R4 are.

There's literally zero configuration, you just stick roms/music/video/homebrew on your card along with the firmware and boot up and start playing. No need to worry about saves or anything like that. It also has some little extra features now like soft reset.

It's very simple but VERY functional. I haven't thrown anything at it that it can't do. Oh and it's cheap
smile.gif
and with DLDI support on the rise, reasons not to get one are fading away.

In the end it's up to you, but the R4 is great if you're looking for a slot 1.
smile.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have the supercard lite, but I got an R4 as well. I figured out getting an R4 and a 1gb microsd card was cheaper than getting a 2gb microsd card. The R4 is great for a slot 1 solution. You won't miss the massive supercard CF and the CF card sticking out the front. You can also use both for even more games and play GBA from the supercard.

Bamboogaming take a while but never charged my import tax. The package came straight from hong kong and for some reason never had a customs decleration saying what was in it and the value
laugh.gif
You do risk import tax if you order outside the UK anyway. Its better than paying £31 and the silly UK prices just to avoid import tax and get the product quicker.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
I must concur with both of the above. I have a few slot-2 cards, and currently use the M3 Lite as well as the R4 in the slot-1. Since using the R4, the DS functionality in the M3 Lite has remained largely redundant, and I'm extremely happy with the R4! It's cheap, and works brilliantly. I love the M3 Lite for the fact that I can still stick a bunch of GBA games on there without nary an issue.
smile.gif

halljames

Trophies
Website
www.hallstudios.co.uk
XP
Country
I am a long term Supercard Lite user, but recently upgraded to a R4.

The R4 is brilliant, and resulted in my removing my Supercard Lite and putting it in the draw. Howevrr, its no back in as I am using the NDS Browser patched with supercard support to browse the internet. Fantastic.

I also now am using my Supercar Lite purely for ScummVM, although I am looking forward to the DLDI support for ScummVM to make the experience better.

S

spectral

OP
For anyone interested I decided to get one. Got here today so I'm atill in the process of playing about with it but I am initially impressed. Got 1 with 3 1Gb Kingston(Japan) MicroSD cards. However I have noticed the problems I found in 2 roms with the supercard are still present with the R4. Namely the faces gliching in Harry potter GOF and the top of the touch screen flickering in Star Wars Ep3.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say that it IS worth it. Just because you have a slot 2 card now doesn't mean that a slot1 card is not necessary.

You can fill up the slot1 card with DS games and the slot2 card with everything else, not to mention gaining the ability to use the Opera Browser.

I have a SCminiSD and just HAD to get an R4DS to compliment it.

bobrules

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Really worth the money- simple to use
but for your case, if you don't want your card to stick out, then use R4, if you don't care and your card is working, keep using it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte