R4 Wood + SNES and SCUMM emulation speed

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Valzi, Jul 13, 2011.

Jul 13, 2011
  1. Valzi
    OP

Newcomer Valzi Member

United States
    I searched the forums and didn't find any topics about the speed of SNES emulators on the R4 after the Wood update.

So, what's it like? Do they work well? Are the games playable? Is the Acekard 2 any better for that?

2. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    All SNES emulation (other than the SNES emulation for DSTWO) on the DS is just plain awful. Barely works and most games looks like crap.
    They work horribly.
    Barely playable.
    The Acekard 2 does not improve anything. Only the Supercard DSTwo has a good SNES emulation on the DS.

3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    If you want a portable emulation device than a PSP is the way to go. The DS is a pathetic device for emulation.

4. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    Apart from ZX Spectrum, Intellivision, Old DOS games (DSx86), Gameboy, NES and many more.

5. Sir_Voe

Member Sir_Voe GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was a fan of SNEmulDS for a long time. The speed is actually superior to the DSTwo emulators in most cases thanks to being hardware based and its implementation of speed hacks. If it weren't for the layering issues, I would probably still be using it over the DSTwo SNES emulator.
    As far as ScummVM, I've never noticed any speed issues (though admittedly I haven't experimented much). It's a very well made emulator, one of the DS's best.

6. Valzi
    OP

Newcomer Valzi Member

United States
    I ended up buying a DSTwo after all, so things should be dandy enough. The R4 sure is cheap though!

Something about the PSP and it's weird little CDs is unsettling.

7. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    You act like most people that hack their PSPs buy games. I know plenty do, but even more don't. All the hacks are run from the memory stick and then flashed to the system itself. I don't own a single UMD.

But yeah, the SNES emulator on the PSP is going to blow away anything you'll find on the DS. CATSFC is trying to be a good SNES emulator, but I'm not sure how far it is going to be able to go before the limitations of the hardware that they are able to use comes into play in a project ending way.

8. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I enjoy being unsettled and having functional emulation than use a card with a below-par SDK.

Seriously, the PSP is brilliant for emulation, it sin't 100% greatness but 95% goodness. Without doubt buying my PSP was one of the best gaming decisions I've made.

9. Valzi
    OP

Newcomer Valzi Member

United States
    Haha, I was only joking. I have a DS for two reasons

1: even used, it's much cheaper than the PSP.
    2: I really like the DS gaming library, but am only interested in a small portion of the PSP's gaming library.

Emulation was secondary to that for me. When the PSP's price comes down, I'll probably grab one of those too. For now though, the DS is plenty for me.

10. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    It depends on the model of the PSP. I got myself a used 1000 series for $60, only about $20 more than somebody would want for a used lite. You can get a new PSP for the price of a DSiXL. In the past couple of years, they have fallen into the same price range. It's really the only reason I was able to pick a PSP up a few months back.

11. Valzi
    OP

Newcomer Valzi Member

United States
    That's still twice the $30 I paid for my Phat on eBay. Too much when I'd rather have a DS.

12. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Amen to that, broseph.

Also:

How use cheats for the Supercard,etc.