R4 wood+EZ Flash IV=Play GBA roms on NDS?

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by JakePsycho, Jan 23, 2011.

Jan 23, 2011
  1. JakePsycho
    OP

Member JakePsycho gold~king~house

United States
    Okay, I have a Nintendo DS, with an R4 with Wood 1.15 and an EZ-Flash IV . I wanted to know if I can use this to play GBA games using my slot-2 EZ-Flash IV and booting it using Wood 1.15.

So, can I do it? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TheArnus

Newcomer TheArnus Newbie

Germany
    Yes, indeed you can!

Just download this nifty little app called GBA Exploader from Filetrip and play your favourite GBAGames!
    It should work on any flashcard and with different expansion devices, so have fun! [​IMG]

3. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Thanks Rudolph, for the awesome tool. It is AWESOME.

4. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The 3in1 is was a stripped down EZ-Flash IV; no built in loader, no external storage. aside from the fact that it has extra hardware in the form of a rumble pack.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

1 person likes this.
  5. JakePsycho
    OP

United States
    Thanks youuu guys! =D

6. JakePsycho
    OP

United States
    Okay, when i am using GbaExpLoader v0.58b0, the games will only load in NOR mode, however on PSRAM Mode it only gives me the Game Boy screen.

Help plox? [​IMG]

7. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    You don't need 0.58b0 for use with a EZ-Flash IV. 0.58b0 is only for 3in1+ users

You can use 0.57. filetrip is down at the moment of this posting, but look it up when it goes back online.

If it is still doing it, what you can do is manually dldi patch gba exploader and see if it works for you. Try first with teh r4_sd.dldi from the wood folder. If it still does the same thing, you will need to try again with the original r4tf.dldi file from the old defunct website or from the YSMENU guide that might have the link.

If not I will have to try a few things before I get back to you on that. Otherwise you might want to make a bug ticket with yellow goblin about it or something.

After some testing, 0.57 stops at the logo as well, this also does this with the 0.58b. The old EZ4 2in1 tool works for using the PSRAM and doesn't stop at the logo, but it doesn't have access to the NOR mode.

here is the EZ4 2in1 tool if you want a temporary quick fix: http://www.sendspace.com/file/toyy47

8. JakePsycho
    OP

United States
    Okay, ONE MORE THING.

Whenever I put my EZFlash IV into the DS it doesn't start unless the DS is charging.

AnyIdeas?

Thanks for all your help for everyone, btw ^__^

9. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    Wait. What? Why use GBA Exploader on an EZ4? Why boot from slot 1 first? I'm not trying to troll, but what's the advantage?

You need a Slot 1 card to flash a 3-in-1 or similar. If your slot 1 cart's software doesn't support it I understand the need for Exploader.. And in some cases GBA Exploader provides better support than what is supported by the slot 1 cart, I get that too.

I have my DS set to auto-boot DS carts. But when I want to use a GBA cart I hold down the start and select keys while powering on and boot it from the DS menu... That's certainly faster and easier than booting to my slot 1 cart and then using GBA Exploader.

I've got a 2GB SD in my EZ4. It has Dual Slot Browser on it so I can transfer files to friends' SD using only my DS if I am away from a computer. Everything else on my EZ4's SD is a GBA game, and I'm pretty sure GBA Exploader can't use the SD in my EZ4... I haven't used Exploader in some time, so correct me if I'm wrong.

So why give up the extra space I'm carrying on that SD in my EZ4 and add the added time of using Exploader from my slot 1 device? Seriously, I'd like to know.

I might try to use Exploader on the EZ4 just to see if it works. I've run an emulator, then an emulator on the emulated system and then and emulator on that emulated system... And so on, just to see how far I could go or if it would even work, but I'd never use either scenario for anything but curiosity and laughs.

Really, why?

10. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    The EZ-IV is a 3in1 hardwarewise. thats why.

People don't need a reason to do what they want. Nor do they think like you. One such example of doing something to thier EZ-IV where you would probably ask why is here, you'd probably just make a WTF post without giving any real help.

Here is the illustration again since you don't read everything.
    [​IMG]

@JakePsycho
    Your DS battery might be going out, might be time to replace it with another one. Other than that, don't know.

11. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    Like I said, I haven't used Exploader in ages I didn't remember it having multisave support. And as far as NES games are a concern, I've always used PocketNES to play them on the GBA. Most GBA flash carts can't run the GBA versions Nintendo released. I've never tried it on the 3-in-1 for those two reasons. Thanks for the info.

All I wanted to know was why someone would use Exploader on an EZ4, I just couldn't come up w/ a single reason why you would.

12. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    This is the multisave menu.

[​IMG]

13. JakePsycho
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the suggestion, know any good place to get one from?

14. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    If you want a nintendo branded battery, you can use the online nintendo store.

here : link to battery

Or you can just use any battery from any vendor in the list on the front page or on the list of good vendors. Any HK site will be closed for this week and next for new years on the lunar calander. Might want to wait a week after that so the backlog of orders is taken care of, otherwise you will experience a longer wait time than you might be use to with them.

15. xxmj12

Newcomer xxmj12 Newbie

Mexico
    Hey but using exploader v058b doesn´t used ezflash IV on gba systems seems that erases the firmware on the ezflsah IV ayn help reverting this?

16. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    The EZ-Flash IV bin loader sits in the first 32kb of the NOR. If you don't want to mess with your EZ-Flash IV loader, DON'T EVER USE GBA EXPLOADER TO WRITE TO YOUR EZ-FLASH IV NOR. Otherwise your going to be fixing it every time. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

Here ends the "Don't be dumb" lesson. I do it because I already know how to fix my own stuff. It is to also explain certain things, aka teach you about something, not for you to copy and do. "Copy and do" things are for tutorials and guides. The post above isn't a guide or a tutorial for you to use.

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    For what it is worth the EZ4 does have a crude multisave option if on the GBA loader (not tried the DS) you press L and R at which point you have 101 saves (.sav and .s00 through .s99). It is something of an undocumented feature and you will probably want to fiddle around/work things out (I believe it is one of the most common causes of the 0k files issue and by the looks of things never got the long file name support).

18. xxmj12

Newcomer xxmj12 Newbie

Mexico
    and how can i restore the bin loader on the ezflash IV? if i bootup mu ds holding R tigger doesn´t star the updater

19. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Previously, have you used the extended save system without problems? I mean does it even work, without creating issues, if you use say less than 3 of the 100 save slots? Very interesting feature, I never heard about it before. :)

20. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    I haven't had to use the fix in a few years, so I don't remember it off the top of my head. In the mean time, congratulations you now got an expensive 3 2in1.