R4 wood and Slot2

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Bonovox40, Jul 22, 2010.

Jul 22, 2010

R4 wood and Slot2 by Bonovox40 at 12:24 AM (1,956 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Bonovox40
    OP

Member Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Has anyone tested the Wood firmware with slot 2 GBA support devices? (i forget what mine is called, black slot 2 device, works with gbaexploder)

I just don't know if it's necessary to jump from the official R4 firmware to Wood, if everything is working fine and I can play mostly everything with YSMenu or the native firmware....thoughts?

Is the only benefit to using Wood is that it is currently supported opposed to the official firmware support being dead?

Thanks!

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    With Wood you don't need extra stuff like YSMenu installed, everything runs directly from Wood. Also, Wood is actively supported, while both the official R4 menu and YSMenu are not.

3. qwertymodo

Member qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wood R4 is much better than the original firmware, and it will be updated regularly to support newer games. The only issue you might encounter is compatibility with your Slot-2 card. If you have an old model EZ-Flash 3in1, then it is supported. Unfortunately, that is the only slot-2 cart supported, because it is the only one the developer owns. If you have an EZ-Flash 3in1 that is relatively new, then you might be interested in my Wood R4 3in1+ patch which is currently in testing and, once I iron out all the kinks, will be submitted as a patch to the Wood R4 developer. If your slot-2 cart is something else, then it won't be supported by Wood R4. If that's a dealbreaker for you, then stick with what you have.