R4 with EZFlash 3-in-1 and Mother 3

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by tebes, Oct 21, 2008.

Oct 21, 2008
  1. tebes
    OP

Newcomer tebes Newbie

United States
    I have an R4 with an EZFlash V 3-in-1. I patched my Mother 3 with the translation, and then patched that one with the gbata SRAM patcher.

Next I go into GBAexpLoader and go into NOR mode, and then copy the game.
    It begins a new save into the .SAV slot.

Now when I play the game in NOR mode, I save at the first frog, which seems to work fine. But then when I turn the game off, and reload GBAexpLoader, it’s gone, there’s NOTHING listed in “current SRAM save” in NOR mode (or PSRAM mode for that matter). Nothing. If I run the game, the title screen only has “new game”, no continue.

I’ve tried shutting the game down super-fast as soon as I save, and then loading up GBAExploader in order to back up the save, but nothing doing. the SRAM save is always blank.

I tried starting over,and then after the game copies over in NOR mode and creates an SRAM save, I then press “write SRAM to SAV file”, to make SURE that I’m saving to a .SAV, and then I even press “Load SAV file to SRAM” to make sure it works. It does.
    So then I run the game, save at my frog, shut down, and same issue. I go into ExpLoader, and it’s all effing gone.

and another thing, I don’t know if this is weird or not: no matter WHAT, EVERY SINGLE TIME I load up Exploader, it starts with a prompt: “May I set this Slot2 expansion pack for GBA ExpLoader?”
    I always say Yes. Sometimes – not everytime, but sometimes, this loads into that same frozen blank screen, where it appears that there’s nothing on my R4’s microSD. I shut down my DS, go back and do it again, again pressing “yes”, and then magically it’s all there.
    Nothing in SRAM though.

Oh, and after saving the first frog and re-setting, when I try to press “Load SAV file to SRAM”, which would make SENSE, it gives me a non-sequitur error message: “"SRAM save data not found
    Can’t Process to SAV file.
    (A) :Confirm”

Which seems backwards to me, that’s the exact same error message that comes up when you press “Write SRAM to SAV file”.

I just can't figure this out. It seems that when I reboot my DS, the SRAM from the 3-in-1 is NOT transferring over to the microSD card. I've checked R4's moonshl config, and the only thing that comes close is the setting: "NDSROMBootFunctionWithEZ4SD=0"
    I have not yet tried setting that to 1, as I'm not sure what it does and it seems to be pointing to an EZ4/SD, which is not what I'm using.

Please, someone help me out here, I've spent days on this and can't solve the problem. [​IMG]

2. Noke0

Newcomer Noke0 Member

United States
    Do you have the latest Firmware. I heard somewhere on these forums there is a program that has the solution if updating your firmware does work!

3. Noke0

Newcomer Noke0 Member

United States
    Sorry for double post!

4. tebes
    OP

Newcomer tebes Newbie

United States
    Yep, I've got R4's latest firmware, v1.18.

What's this program you heard of?

Also, a new problem has sprung up: Once again, GBA ExpLoader is NOT recognizing anything, and launches into a frozen screen where it appears as if my MicroSD card is empty. Before, by removing the EZFlash and then putting it back in I could get it working again. NOT this time. I also tried deleting GBAExploader and putting a fresh one onto the R4, but no dice.

I also tried running the hyperlisk NOR eraser. Didn't work.

I have no clue what the hell to do to fix this. at the moment my EZFlash seems to be a brick. Although Mother 3 seems to remain steadfastly in the NOR memory, I still can't save games and can't do ANYTHING in ExpLoader.

I'm going completely insane here, and I'm about to throw my EZFlash out the window and say screw it, despite the fact that I followed the Mother 3 fan translation every week for the last 2 years.

I'm pissed and frustrated. If anyone here can help me out, I'll be grateful FOREVER.

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    sounds like you have a dead battery, so your sram is gone when you power off. some people have mastered the ability to power back on before the sram clears, i heard it takes great speed and a bit of luck. if rudolph's tool asks to set the kit each time then it isn't finding the NOR. it could be that maybe the battery is fine but you have a solder problem. you could open up the shell and check the solder points for loose or bad solder jobs. if you can write to NOR and use NOR than the problems isn't with the NOR but something else.

-another world

6. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    My tests show that when you load whatever slot 2 card THROUGH slot 1 card, your save will not show up. Try loading from the DS menu your slot 2 card without GBAExpLoader.

7. Another World

Colombia
    i've had no prolems loading my 3-in-1 through my r4/ak2/akrpg. saves are there, i can dump and replace them as well. everything has also worked from just booting to slot2 as you suggested. i'm curious now why that happens for you shinji...

-another world

8. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    i'm trying to figure out why that is the case, another world. the exact same slot1+2 combo can have the problem for some and not have the problem for others.

EDIT: and personally, i'm using AK2.1 with EFA-Linker original. if i boot my efa through the acekard, my saves disappear. but if i boot my efa from the DS menu, my saves are there and uncorrupted

9. Another World

Colombia
    this sounds like it could be an issue with the 3-in-1 code that was left in the acekard firmware. i remember smiths telling me that it is mostly left over from bliss. it could have bugs that were never found. you should mention it ot him in #acekard.

-another world

10. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I have the EXACT problem. If anyone finds a fix, please PM me or something [​IMG]

EDIT: Ive looked around, and found something. Doesnt look good though

Looks like you might have a dead battery in your 3in1, like me [​IMG]

Heres some more info on replacing it 3in1 Battery Replacement Thread

11. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    The battery is most likely dead. You either need to replace the battery which requires soldering or get a new 3 in 1.

To see if its a bettery problem, please try a couple other GBA games and see if they so experience save problems as well. If so, then you need a new battery (They sell for 4-5$ at Radioshack) or a new 3 in 1.

The battery is a Henli Max 3v CZYF - CR1220. I suggest getting one that has pins on it to make soldering the battery in a lot easier.
    [​IMG]

A = 14.0 mm
    B = 2.0 mm
    C = ~6.0 mm
    D = 3.5 mm
    [​IMG]

12. Zimeah

Newcomer Zimeah Newbie

Canada
    No updates on this problem? gaah i have the same thing going on and i received my EZ 3-in-1 only like 4 days ago. Dead battery on a new item... sounds lame.

13. triften

Newcomer triften Advanced Member

United States
    Same story for me. New 3-in-1 loads/plays ROMS perfectly, but it will not hold saves AT ALL, regardless of the loader I use. The engineering here is a crock of shit.

14. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    erm...

NO!

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

15. villadelfia

Newcomer villadelfia Member

Belgium
    I noticed that there are a few games, mother 3 included, that only save correctly when first written to the NOR flash and then booted from the NDS main menu.

With mother3, when I soft-reset to play it, I get a "saving failed" when I try to use the frog.

It works just fine when I load it from the actual ds menu.

(actually, with a few I mean: only mother 3)