Hacking R4 to support SDHC

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its possible that they did have a way to flash the BIOS via software, but just haven't had any reason to use it up until now.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ie, whats stopping them from releasing software that you copy onto your microsd, running it within the R4 and, bam, SDHC support?
Well thats what I was saying above. The opposing possibility is that they didn't make any way to flash the BIOS, hoping they'd be able to get everything done with just kernel updates.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its possible that they did have a way to flash the BIOS via software, but just haven't had any reason to use it up until now.

I honestly believe that if this was the case, they would have prevented the chinese/english hardware hack in later released cards wrather than removing the easy to use points off the PCB.
QUOTEwhats stopping them from releasing software that you copy onto your microsd, running it within the R4 and, bam, SDHC support?
Generally speaking, the type of asic they used is a one time programmable device. I hope this isn't the case, but I suspect it is.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly believe that if this was the case, they would have prevented the chinese/english hardware hack in later released cards wrather than removing the easy to use points off the PCB.
I don't think its very likely either, but that would be the only possibility that makes a software-based update plausible.

springah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its possible that they did have a way to flash the BIOS via software, but just haven't had any reason to use it up until now.

QUOTE said:
whats stopping them from releasing software that you copy onto your microsd, running it within the R4 and, bam, SDHC support?
Generally speaking, the type of asic they used is a one time programmable device. I hope this isn't the case, but I suspect it is.

couldn't possibly have the R4 'load' what it needs off.. hmm... damnit haha

well hopfully there is a re-write option :/

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
ie, whats stopping them from releasing software that you copy onto your microsd, running it within the R4 and, bam, SDHC support?

Well thats what I was saying above. The opposing possibility is that they didn't make any way to flash the BIOS, hoping they'd be able to get everything done with just kernel updates.
There's no saying they didnt make a way to flash the BIOS. Here is what it says on the m3 simply website:On the m3 simply box and website, it says: upgradeable Firmware ( OS / Bios / Kernel ). It and the r4 are the same. But it also may just be the same things, just said differently. Here is the site:
http://www.m3adapter.com/M3DSS.htm

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There's no saying they didnt make a way to flash the BIOS.
I know. If you had read the preceeding posts, you would see that that was an opposing possibility to the one I spoke of beforehand.

However, I wouldn't take that statement from the site to heart. Their engrish isn't the greatest.

JacobReaper

I Love You....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i dont care, im still happy it will support it
smile.gif
YAY for next update
tongue.gif

Kuro_Shinigami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
32 GB MicroSD cards don't exist. I think SanDisk is introducing 8GB ones pretty soon.

I can imagine if you put movies, music, pics, games on there you can easily fill 8GB. People will find a way to use SDHC just like people have found a way to use 1TB HD's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: