Homebrew R4 Stage2 TWL Flashcart Launcher(and perhaps other cards soon™)....

alex257

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What error do you get? If you get the "error has occurred" message, you need to use latest nightly of rxTools. If installing to emunand, you must also install the launcher to sysnand. If using an n3DS, install a prepatched TWL_FIRM to emunand. (prepatched TWL_FIRM not needed on sysnand if using emunand)

Perhaps rather then trying to rewrite the entire arm7 binary, perhaps some kind of "payload" could be created that reads the arm7 binary, moves it to the correct memory address then jumps to it. That way arm7 binary is in the memory space it was programmed to use. It would help get a LOT of stuff to work too like other flashcarts since this will get around the initial block of TWL_FIRM not allowing the original arm7 memory settings at launch.

I'm not a programmer though. Hoping someone could pickup on that idea to see if it's viable and maybe create a custom arm7 binary that acts as the main binary and simply loads the correct arm7 binary with the code entry/ram entry settings TWL_FIRM didn't initially allow.
yes i get the "error has occurred" and i have done all the requirements but i only install the launchers in sysnand and i am launching them in sysnand so...the icon of ttds is just a white square and it works on nds and ndsl.my r4i is (I think) an official one.the site that recomends me on the sticker is www.r4igold.cc....i know you are working all too hard but please find a solution on my problem!

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really dont know why this nds file still does not fire up my DSTT, I even verified it on my old ds with the dstt and it does reload the menu just fine, on 3ds though its just stuck on the loading screen forever. Also interestingly enough the nds file in the final launcher when executed on my old ds shows the loading screen and then a whitescreen so I have the feeling the 3ds never even loads up the menu from the micro sd card and crashes somewhere or something.

Marko1000Marko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I really dont know why this nds file still does not fire up my DSTT, I even verified it on my old ds with the dstt and it does reload the menu just fine, on 3ds though its just stuck on the loading screen forever. Also interestingly enough the nds file in the final launcher when executed on my old ds shows the loading screen and then a whitescreen so I have the feeling the 3ds never even loads up the menu from the micro sd card and crashes somewhere or something.
I can confirm that that nds file reloads the menu perfectly on my DS Lite as well.

AboveColin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can confirm that that nds file reloads the menu perfectly on my DS Lite as well.
Same here!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe it doesn't work because it autoboot into the r4/ttds on the ds lite, and on the 3ds it doesn't? Just thinking out loud xD

alex61194

Trophies
XP
Country
It works but if it's in DSi mode games like Pokemon Black will be able to run as a DSi enhanced game rather than just a DS one like it normally would on a flashcard.
so if i follow this tutorial i can make my r4 work? (even if i loose the dsi thing)?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

It has to be the arm7 code entry/ram entry offsets at 0x34 and 0x38. That's the main thing I had to change to make it work on 3DS. Perhaps it wouldn't cause problems when launched from the DSTT, but from the 3DS things may be a different matter. We need some way of getting it to work with the new arm7 settings or try and make it jump back to the correct settings after booting it. Or patch TWL_FIRM to allow the original settings. Which ever occurs first. :P

Marko1000Marko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It has to be the arm7 code entry/ram entry offsets at 0x34 and 0x38. That's the main thing I had to change to make it work on 3DS. Perhaps it wouldn't cause problems when launched from the DSTT, but from the 3DS things may be a different matter. We need some way of getting it to work with the new arm7 settings or try and make it jump back to the correct settings after booting it. Or patch TWL_FIRM to allow the original settings. Which ever occurs first. :P
What if you changed the offsets and posted a nds file? Would running it through the dsi homebrew launcher be any different than launching the cia, or is the cia just a wrapper and it has no effect on it what so ever?

zbw2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I try to get a .nds dump of my flashcard with wooddumper it just says card init failed in red. Does that mean i van't get a dump of my card?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did already fix it up and wrote a tiny ARM7 stub moving the data to the original which does work fine on my original DS.

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
In the new SRL you posted? Where's the stub in the file and how large is it? I want to try attaching it to other SRLs.

Every time I try to get a .nds dump of my flashcard with wooddumper it just says card init failed in red. Does that mean i van't get a dump of my card?

Are you using a 3DS with WoodDumper? if so that's why. You need to use a DS/DS Lite. 3DS won't let you hotswap while in TWL/NTR mode.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the new SRL you posted? Where's the stub in the file and how large is it? I want to try attaching it to other SRLs.
here, just drop a arm7.bin with a entry of 0x37F8000 in the same folder of this and run the build.bat, the new a.bin is then your new arm7 file with a entry of 0x02380000.

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a bunch! I'll see what I can do with it. :D

I just tried it on DSFirmware.nds. One srl that uses the incompatible range. But your stub didn't make it boot. Perhaps the stub isn't working....

I'll try it on MoonShell 2 just to be sure. I know that one also uses the incompatible arm7 settings.

EDIT: Wait, the version I tested it on doesn't boot in an emulator anymore. Probably something else wrong with it. I will make sure the SRL is working before I try this again. :P

EDIT2: Ok promising results! I applied the changes to arm7 and rebuilt the rom. It still boots with the new arm7 entry settings on my Gateway Flashcart. (it used to not boot after that change). So now I'll see if it boots from NAND. :D

EDIT3: Still doesn't want to boot on the 3DS. :(

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

AboveColin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks a bunch! I'll see what I can do with it. :D

I just tried it on DSFirmware.nds. One srl that uses the incompatible range. But your stub didn't make it boot. Perhaps the stub isn't working....

I'll try it on MoonShell 2 just to be sure. I know that one also uses the incompatible arm7 settings.

EDIT: Wait, the version I tested it on doesn't boot in an emulator anymore. Probably something else wrong with it. I will make sure the SRL is working before I try this again. :P
and? does it work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.