R4 spring slowly failing

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by jalaneme, Feb 9, 2007.

Feb 9, 2007

R4 spring slowly failing by jalaneme at 12:22 PM (2,646 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. jalaneme
    OP

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    anyone got any tips on how to remove the spring inside without soldering? the card is best off without the spring IMO it takes a couple of tries before the micro SD clicks into place and i just want to remove it as it just gets in the way.

2. Seger

Newcomer Seger Member

Sweden
    Dont take the sd out. use wifi transfer

3. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    lmao what? the R4 doesn't have wifi transfer!

4. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    If you have a wireless router you can use the wifi on the DS to ftp the game to it (Forgot the name of the program). Its meant to take a while but saves keep taking your card out to put in a memory card reader. I've never used it as I have to turn all the protection off on my wireless router everytime I want to use the FTP.

5. boussa

Newcomer boussa Newbie

Netherlands
    wifi is too slow, its only meant for small changes in homebrrew or sav files, atliest thats my experience using an ftp server on my DSL

6. jelbo

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    The program is called DSFTP. Haven't tried it yet but I heard success stories of people who use it to transfer ROMs/saves.

[​IMG]

7. hmvh1

Newcomer hmvh1 Member

i have tried it and it is ridiculously slow

8. XeroRestraint

Member XeroRestraint GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know if this will help you or not, but on my (new) R4DS the microSD hardly ever "catches" if I push it in "too far" (i.e. - pushing *after* the click). If I stop pressing as soon as it clicks then it seems to catch every time.

9. fstrike

Newcomer fstrike Member

Canada
    Yeah the spring on mine stopped catching the micro sd card after a bit, but thanks to your tip it now catches everytime. [​IMG]

10. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    hmm i need to try that as i push the micro SD right in before letting go, if i do it lightly it just stays there and is not in properly, but won't the spring go eventually? like wear out? that's why i want to remove it now before it messes up the insides.

11. XeroRestraint

United States
    When you say "not in properly" do you mean it doesn't read when you insert the R4 into your DS or that it just "doesn't feel/look right"? I've never had it not read the microSD card, but I have had to reinsert the whole R4 cart before (then again, I've had to do that with commercial carts too).

Anyway, like any mechanical device the spring will eventually wear out over time. I don't think you'll have any luck removing the spring though - it's not exposed, even when you remove the cartridge cover:
    [​IMG]
    (microSD slot *not* circled, it is on the bottom right with aluminum cover)

If you were to try to pull it out of the slot I think you'd be more likely to break it than anything else. I'd say just use it till it breaks, after all it's only $40-$50. The stress of worrying is worth more than that.

Hopefully in the future they will release a new version that has the microSD side-load without a spring. I never understood the touted-benefit of being able to "remove the micro SD from the R4 without removing the whole cart from the slot." Usually the force of pressing down to release the microSD releases the R4 from the DS before it releases the flah memory chip anyway.

In my case I'm lucky since the company I purchased my R4 from accidentally sent me a second one for free. I was just going to save the second one in case my first one broke, but now I might open it up to compare how the microSD slots to see if there is considerable deviation in performance.

12. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    what i mean by "not in properly" is the micro SD just sticks out loosely, i don't turn the DS on as obviously it won't work, i have to keep pressing on the micro SD to take it out and put it back in until the thing clicks into place.

13. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    i really wish i knew what you were talking about.

14. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    If you push it in too far, there is a risk that it might 'click' twice. Resulting in the card getting in and then directly being pushed out again. So he only pushes it in and releases as soon as he hears the click.

15. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    ahha i see what he means now, i just tried it and the micro SD stays in firmly no probs [​IMG] so when i take micro SD out and put it back it, i push it in and then stop pushing when i hear the click, it stays in when i do this.

16. fitzbean

Newcomer fitzbean Advanced Member

United States
    Umm, I don't know why people say that - I can take out the SD every time without a problem without popping the cart out. It's very convenient if you ask me. I wouldn't want it on the side.

17. XeroRestraint

United States
    The reason why I say so is first, because I personally don't find any convenience or utility from the feature. Second, the spring loaded slot is a mechanical, moving part. By default, moving parts will shorten the lifespan of any device, regardless of the build quality.

Your opinion, based on convenience is completely valid as are the opposing opinions predicated on durability.

18. serginsurge

Newcomer serginsurge Advanced Member

United States
    Just put in the micro sd then put tape over the insertion point so it wont come out

19. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    lol that would become pretty bothersome if you have to keep swapping games wouldn't it?

20. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Read around there are 3 times as many people with their R4/ Simply not seeding right
    as there are week springs. I would much rather have a bad spring then a dead unit.

But as for a workaround for the bad spring a friend didn’t like the super spring on his
    Supercard so he clipped it threw the gap in the card housing. Then he squeezed the card
    housing to increase the friction, now he has a friction based unit. Although I would only
    recommend this if your good at modifying things. [​IMG]