r4 slot won't lock.

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by reaperman@home, Jan 17, 2007.

Jan 17, 2007

r4 slot won't lock. by reaperman@home at 7:22 PM (3,304 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. reaperman@home
    OP

Member reaperman@home GBAtemp Regular

since everybody is busy kissing R4's filthy butt, mine didn't work and I'm guessing a good number have the same issue. the spring loaded microSD slot won't lock. anybody have any ideas before the rage totally consumes me? Preferably some kind of DIY solution since I certainly don't want to wait the weeks it would take for gameyeah to fix it after the weeks it took to get here.

I've already made a mental note never purchase another r4 product, its branded spinoff or its successors. I'm borderline on if I'm going to pay attention to gbatemp reviews, and probably will just avoid gameyeah in the future. worst backup hardware experience ever.

sorry to come off so harsh, but I opened it just a few minutes ago and am still shaking.

2. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Push the case together as you put it in.

Or try tightening the screw or changing the case.

3. reaperman@home
    OP

I was so upset, it looks like I put this in the totally wrong forum... sorry guys.

I'm screwing with the little spring and its plate now, I've gotten it to lock a couple times outside the case, but my luck disappears when I close it up again. I wonder if I can just tweeze the spring out and 'upgrade' myself to a non-springloaded slot. there's really no solid stop point in there, so that's probably not the best of ideas.

maybe that picture from the review can give me some idea how that spring is supposed to interface with that moving plate.

4. reaperman@home
    OP

well I finally got it locking in the case--I think. I had to twist the lock plate--quite a ways from this picture.
    It's still extremely sensitive to outside pressure so there's a good chance I'll be living with this problem forever. I have no DS to check slot pressure on, as they're not in stock here yet so that's just pretty spiffy. I also have to push it in REAL slow and stop at the 'correct place' or the spring just never locks. oh and bumping it ejects the cart sometimes. wonderful.

thanks r4! I hate you. what a way to start off. you too M3, never could live up to your own hype.
    great build quality.

5. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Try returning it for a refund??
    I've had this problem, but mine was a review sample so I can't really send it back because I've completed my review. I just bang the cart a bit and it usually works, but I'm back to using my SuperCard Lite in slot-2 and DS-X in slot-1

- Sam

6. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    R4 is the best card on the market now. You just got a screwy card.

Return it to whichever store from which you purchased it and get it exchanged.

7. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    I have the exact same problem, 30+ tries to get me microSD to click-in... damnit.

8. Sinkhead

United Kingdom
    Hm, it seems there is a problem with them then! 3 people so far...

- Sam

9. reaperman@home
    OP

good to hear I'm not the only one. well, I don't really mean good to hear, but...you know what I mean. at least now I'm not the lone crazy one.

10. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    Just been playing with it now, seems for me this is completely random... sometimes it'll click in 20+ times straight, other times it won't click it at all for a long time. Pretty annoying really, especially when you just want to swap a skin or something.

Edit: reaperman, try insterting the microSD with the R4 actually in the DS... that seems to work a hell of a lot better than actually taking the R4 out and insterting it. It still happens, but not nearly as often. Perhaps the R4 is slightly compressed when inserted or something...

11. Sinkhead

United Kingdom
    Here here!

- Sam

12. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Mine's fine, although I'm about to order another 3 of them for friends which increases the chance of getting a dodgy one quite a bit!

13. ydnar64

Newcomer ydnar64 Advanced Member

United States
    If they sell 25k to 50k with a possibility of a .1% possible fault percentage caused by manufacturing, packaging and shipping then you're looking at a total of 25 to 50 possible faulty units [​IMG] . .1% is a great ratio considering the fact that this is made behind the back of Nintendo (this is close to many official products). So to be more reasonable to this situation let's say 2% are faulty (that's a 2% chance you will get one of these faulty units). That is 500 to 1000 faulty units. That is just in the range of stuff that you can expect to have issues. There isn't an actual issue with the gear until the fault percentage get to about 10% or greater [​IMG] . You were just unlucky (or lucky however you want to look at it). Mine works fine as does everyone else's. At least it's not like the DS-X where they had for a moment 90% of there units shipped out faulty [​IMG] . Also you have the same chance or greater on getting a faulty hard drive or piece of hardware for your computer. Trust me I had one time I was going 3 out of 4 hard drives I had were bad on receiving them. I just also want to say my numbers aren't official; I just want to shine some light on your problem so you know why you got a bad R4. Better luck next time. Also if you're super desperate you can always use duct tape, which fixes everything. [​IMG]

14. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    basically its not that bad. i would still return it

15. reaperman@home
    OP

so that's a very long way of saying you like to play with imaginary numbers?
    while we're making up numbers let's pick a sample we can guess at more closely. How many of these were given away for review at DS 'backup/release' sites? Probably 10-20, and 20 is probably very generous. at least one of those was defective (sinkhead's) so the numbers could be looking more like 5-10%. Or if another tester was bad, the percentage could be a great deal worse.

16. darksavior

Member darksavior GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i have this spring problem as well. i thought everyone did? but it takes me like 3 times or so but it always stays in the end. i just need to insert the card a little to the front or a little to the back(hard to explain, need to feel it)

17. bladerx

Member bladerx GBAtemp Fan

Dominican Republic
    My review unit has this problem too, I'm about to take it appart and try to fix it directly.

18. Sinkhead

United Kingdom
    Maybe it's a common fault? Mine sometimes works for 20+ times in a row, but sometimes it just won't stay in at all...

- Sam

19. decept

Member decept GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Haha... try your luck with a DS-X then. I'm sure you'll get a 100% working one with them. [​IMG]

20. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Use DSPTP.

That's what I do. My micro SD slot has never failed to work, though. This is more a preventative measure.