r4 shortage?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by breakfastcrew, Aug 4, 2007.

Aug 4, 2007

r4 shortage? by breakfastcrew at 4:26 AM (5,582 Views / 0 Likes) 51 replies

1. breakfastcrew
    OP

Newcomer breakfastcrew Newbie

United States
    Anyone know what really is going on here? Are they really being sue by nintendo?? or what?? it is like sold out everywhere.

2. tipsy

Member tipsy GBAtemp Regular

China
    Someone said R4 is making a new cart.

3. danisflying

Newcomer danisflying Newbie

Australia
    I think they are just all sold out...

Man they are really popular though

4. retman

Banned retman Banned

United Kingdom
    The R4 team are NOT making a new cart.

5. TeraS

Member TeraS GBAtemp Regular

the guy is on holiday

6. lildaz

Member lildaz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was wondering the same question. had to pay a bit extra to get it from somewhere else (RHS).

7. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I think the shortage may have a little to do with idiots on the Nintendo forums...."OMG!!!1one!! TEH R4 IZ TEH ROX3RZZ!!!1!!ONE!!" which causes the kiddies to look into them, cry to mommy and daddy for them, parents see what a money saving device it is and buy multiples of the R4 for all the DS's in the house. Hence the shortage.

Great for the R4 dev's, bad for Nintendo and terrible for the "scene" because we're being assaulted with newbie kiddies asking an onslaught of idiotic questions about the simplest of concepts concerning the card....on the freakin' Nintendo forums, no less!

I swear, if Nintendo can do anything about flashcarts, they are going to do something about them sooner, rather than later. Too many people know about them and the DS market is getting flooded with them.....probably more so than any previous handheld.

I liked it much better when the "scene" was more underground. Now, it's practically common knowledge.

8. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    Maybe it's time to start tightening the rules a bit here on the forums if that is the case.

9. Echo1

Member Echo1 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You was a newbie once. We all start somewhere. And, just because we all know about the flashcart scene doesn't mean the world and his dog does. The fact is that we in the know are very few, compared to the many who buy their games. Maybe, if Nintendo did see what was happening then they would try and deter future potential converters by lowering the cost of games, especially in Europe.

10. Noobix

Member Noobix GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom

Wow...nicely said! [​IMG]

11. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    PANIC BUY!!!!!

12. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Get it before the hoarders get it! (WWII saying).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. EVIL9000

Newcomer EVIL9000 Member

Netherlands
    I have a nephew of 9 and he found this place, and all the info he needed to get a device to expand the functionality of his DS, after a couple of hours browsing google.
    now probably all his classmates know it and after that, his classmates, etc etc.. word of mouth is a powerful thing!

I am sure this stuff will get forced underground real soon by Nintendo's mighty lawyers.

14. Kiok

Member Kiok GBAtemp Regular

Jamaica

Yeah i know so many people know about it now. It making me very upset and Nintendo is going to kickin soon i guess...

15. breakfastcrew
    OP

Newcomer breakfastcrew Newbie

United States
    ugh...damn I wish the r4 team would be more open about their situation instead of keeping us guessing when stock will come.

16. Diffusion

Member Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I agree with Rayder.

The amount of R4 nubs are vastly increasing. I can't go to any Nintendo-related forums or chat without hearing people talking about the R4.

Gamefaqs' DS board should just change their name to the R4 board.

Nintendo will probably figure out something to hurt the scene, thanks to all the kiddies.

17. EVIL9000

Newcomer EVIL9000 Member

Netherlands
    It's all to easy to blame the kids through. I mean its not like the line "play roms on the NDS" in google won't give you all the info you need. Its way to easy to find! If everyone would have wanted to stay hidden and underground then they should have blocked the search spiders crawling all pages 24/7

Its all common knowledge now by worth of mouth, not kiddies..

plus don't think the production team of the R4, and all other slot 1 and 2 cards has created this product to NOT make money. They want this thing to be common knowledge! they want their product to sell and sell well and just scrape as much $ they can get before Nintendo gets them shut down!

So please stop using kids as an excuse and look at yourself about what YOU could have done to prevent it from becoming common knowledge. "keep your mouth shut"

18. sethsez

Newcomer sethsez Newbie

United States
    The R4 is about as common knowledge as the Supercard was back in the day, or how to mod an Xbox, and it still requires more money than (and about the same amount of effort as) getting homebrew stuff working on the PSP. Also, keep in mind that DS emulation on PCs isn't nearly at the level that GBA emulation was a few years into its lifespan. The R4 is pretty damned convenient, but it's hardly the first piracy breakthough and it won't be the last.

As for shortages, this is the first card from the R4 team and they're supplying it for both themselves and M3. Its popularity came seemingly out of nowhere and rose incredibly fast, so it's no surprise that supply problems eventually cropped up.

19. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    When Nintendo start losing a significant amount of money from R4's I'm sure they'll start doing something about it.

At the moment nintendo loses next to nothing and is currently making more money than they ever have before...don't worry about nintendo.

It's far from common knowledge.

20. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States

Ah! Yes. I was a newbie once, back in the old Commodore 64 days. But I'm 39. I've been a software pirate before most of y'all were even born. So don't tell me, I'll tell you. [​IMG]

I may not be up on the latest of haxors, but I learn like lightning. Me not stupid! WOOT!

I may not have any programming skills, but teh downloads has been my life for longer than most of you guys have age. Biatches! [​IMG]

[​IMG] ...but it's the truth, none the less. BWAHAHAHA!!!!!

Truth.