R4 seizing up after online incident

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by malerik, Mar 9, 2007.

Mar 9, 2007
  1. malerik
    OP

Newcomer malerik Member

Argentina
    Ok, heres what happened.

My mate and I both have r4's and we were playing animal crossing online for the first time.

We had fun for half an hour with me trashing his town and trying to teach him to fish.

Then I was in his house telling him how my house was better and the game crashed, at both ends.

I thought that was that, play with flash cart, sometimes it will crash, but the next day I try to play animal crossing, and get a black screen after 'nintendo' that doesn't go away!

So I copy everything off my cart, and put just the menu and animal crossing back on. Only it says it won't let me because animal crossing is already on there and it's 0 bytes big. So I reformat the card, and copy everything back, and everything works! Animal crossing is fine etc.

But today, advance wars won't run. just crashes when I try to run it.

Here are my current theories:

1. something to do with having .dpg files on my cart? It's the first time I've put anything big on, but I'm not sure how that would affect it.
    2. DsOrganise? Only added that a few days before the first crash.
    3. Busted SD card? Could my SD card just be totally fried?
    4. Something to do with my running the .dpg conversion program whilst I'm copying stuff to my sd, cos it's screwing the rest of my pc pretty bad?
    5. aliens.

HALP! FIX IT! [​IMG]

2. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    using Kingston Taiwan?
    and moonshell or DSOrganize?

for me it totally corrupted my microsd card when i tried to use kingston taiwan with dso or moonshell changed it to another sd card and works perfectly fine.

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    DSOrganise can screw up your files sometimes. My guess would be DSorg is to blame. Try removing it and formatting your card, and see how it works then.

4. malerik
    OP

Newcomer malerik Member

Argentina
    It's a sandisk from thecomponentshop on amazon.

Didn't know ds organise could screw things up so bad, but it was only after the first time i tried mp3s in it that it started crashing, so that might be it. Can't check till I get home tonight though.

5. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Dsorganize WILL NOT corrupt your files.. seriously people, stop bashing dsorganize ffs.

Your files appear to be semi corrupted, which is because of two reasons. Damaged sektors on the sd card, so whenever the card uses those sektors, it will screw up stuff /or because/because/ of your current sd card reader which might not be writing to the card correctly.

So try this. Format your card again and try writing stuff over with a different card reader. If that still doesn't fix it, then try changing the FAT from what you are currently using when formating. So if you are currently using FAT(16), then change to FAT32 and vice versa and then use a different card reader. If that still doesn't do the trick, then it's possible that sektor is seriously damaged, so try to run a diagnostic program on that drive and see if anything pops up.

6. R-Unit 4

Member R-Unit 4 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    DSo corrupted my micro sd and guess what??When I tried to delete DSO from my sd it corrupted my micro sd...I don't trust you dragonminded...

7. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States

i've had it happen 4 fucking times. I've WATCHED IT HAPPEN

8. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    dso is the cause of the problem. [​IMG]

9. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I managed to delete DSO but I had a small problem the first time I used DSO after I had copyed all the necessary file accross to my card. I copied the DSO folder into my games folder (bad move, copy it to the root of the card) then ran DSO. It said some files were not found and that a folder had been created in the root. Trying to delete this folder was a major pain in the ass, some error message saying the program that created the folder could not be found. I had to copy the DSO folder I'd downloaded and copy it over the created folder. Only then did it delete.
    I had DSO on my R4 for a while but found I didn't use it at all so I got rid of it. It's good but not something I'd use at all.

10. WiiDSbold

Newcomer WiiDSbold Member

[​IMG] so many reports of cards being corrupted after use of DSO on R4 - and you keep telling people everythings o.k. with it?... (not that microSDs are expensive these days - but it still sucks testicles the hard way)

do you try to be funny or misleading on purpose?!
    i mean maybe it works for you - but how do you come to think you can speak for everyone else?
    [​IMG]

11. Killermech

Sweden
    No I did not try to be misleading or anything, I did however try to avoid this thread since people seem to insist on forming an angry mob regarding this issue no matter what.

Your first point is actually a very good one, but now think about it the other way. Do you think there are more people with 'DSO corrupting their cards' or people with 'having no problems whatsoever with DSO'? Let's put a raw estimate here, I would think it's around 1 user every 20 user that saids that DSO corrupts their files, which technically blows up your theory about DSO corrupting your card. Cause naturally, if it is DSO messing the thing up, it would mean that the code has a flaw that causes the corruption. Which would mean that ALL users would suffer of this, meaning that everyone that uses the write/read function of DSO atleast once is fucked. But that isn't the case, or do you mean to suggest that the write/read code DSO organize only affects a certain special amount of people?

It's really simple if you think about it, but as soon as someone goes around with a burning torch, the rest tends to do the same thing without proper thinking.

12. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Not neccessairily. This could be due to a (rare) combination of DSO code, card type, flashcard type, card formatting, and the files contained on the card. There are tons of things that can go wrong, even when all the devs and hardware manufacturers are cooperating, let alone when it's "every man for himself", with tons of unpredictable combinations. The code may work flawlessly on one type of card using FAT32 and saving your drawings in .bmp, but fail when using another type with FAT16 and editing .txt files.

I use DSO (very good picture viewer, perfect for reading Garfield [​IMG] ), and I've had the same problem with the GBAMP v2 and the EZF4; only when using DSO, and never with Moonshell, for example. I'm not bashing the DSO, but when I hear of a corruption problem and the DSO's involved, it's usually the main suspect. This doesn't make it a bad program, but every program has its bugs here and there, and in any case, it's very important to keep backups of all your data somewhere safe. [​IMG]

13. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    DSO is known to ruined microsd cards. Use at your own risk!!

14. Killermech

Sweden
    Corrupting certain cards and formats? Well, maybe. A bit far sighted if you ask me, but I can't argue with that since I don't have any proof. But technically neither do you that it is DSO causing it.

But anyways, he did mention he had DSO on the card for a few days before the card messed up. Assuming he tried DSO the first time he put it on the card, out of curiousity of how it worked. Now let's review the situation here, so if what you guys are saying that DSO corrupted the card. Then it means it somehow became a ticking bomb after its first use and activated itself after a few days? Correct me if im wrong here, but if DSO corrupts the files (of certain cards) after using its write/read functionality code, then wouldn't the card mess up the first day?

'Maybe he didn't use/edit txt files the first day' I hear someone saying in the background. Well, when DSO boots up, it reads and writes to its ini file. Yes, the same code that technically is used for writing/reading if for example you are editing a txt file within DSO. So technically, the first time he uses DSO should actually mess up the card.. maybe not instantly, but def. the same day. Unless DSO installs a virus that only activates itself after a few days and corrupts your card then.

Someone mentioned that he saw it happend live (4 times, dunno why someone would keep using something that corrupts their card after seeing it happen the first time) when it messed its card. Which means we can easily assume that the corruption takes place instantly when it does mess your card.

In conclusion it would mean that it wasn't DSO that messed his card up. Unless some of you want to make a point that it sometimes it affects the card instantly and sometimes it only messes it up after a few days? [​IMG]

15. malerik
    OP

Newcomer malerik Member

Argentina
    Hi, OP here, well I reformatted it on friday and so far it's working AOK.
    Didn't put DS Organise back on, but then I wasn't using it as much as I thought I would anyway.

The ebook reader was nice, but i like the built in one even though it doen't have word wrap cos you can make it go sideways.

If it messes up again without ds organise I'll come back and let you know, otherwise I'm gonna assume that was the problem, as thats all i've changed.

16. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    DSO corrupting files is nothing.
    It destroyed (as in the pc didn't recognize the card AT ALL) two 1gb microds cards of mine.
    But that was only when I used the Homebrew database.
    DSO does corrupt files once in a while, but sometimes you can fix it without reformatting.
    It's great, I use it to read files, pictures, caculator, music, etc. But just try to avoid the HB databse when it has to download a directory or two.

And yeah, DSO is sort of like a ticking bomb. If you happen to corrupt it while using it, but you soft reset it with exit.nds, play a game, hard reset, DSO won't boot after wards. As unsusual as it sounds, it is.

I'd still use it after it corrupted my cards, since it still is useful. I'd just avoid making the same mistakes.

edit-300'th post.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    I used it to rename a save once....the loading bar stopped half way through and it was corrupted, nothing was salvagable from the card. Lost 65 hours worth of saves. NEVER use the rename, copy, paste, or delete functions

18. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The kingston taiwan I got a few weeks ago I also got from the component shop. Probably just a coincidence but that corrupted all together and would not be read on anything.

19. wiipeddle

Newcomer wiipeddle Newbie

United States
    DSOrganize corrupted my files, really bad. in the lang folder of ds organize, there where 4 files that had a total of 11 gigs on my 1gig Kingston (japan made) micro sd card. I wasn't sure if it was a secluded case or not, but this proves it. It was a pain in the ass to reformat too, because the name of the corrupted files where symbols that I could not change, and when i tried reformatting, it says files where in use. Stay away from ds organize.

20. WiiDSbold

Newcomer WiiDSbold Member

nice that you try to come up with some statistics - bad that you just made them up!
    not even worth any further comment as you simply dont know how many even tried it once on their R4...
    apart from that the far more interesting question is: How many R4-Users who DONT use DSO NEVER had a problem with card-corruption?
    my guess? -> overwhelming majority of 'em!