R4 SDHC Dual-Core 2013, what is the compatibility with 3DS firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by metalsynkk, Jun 24, 2015.

1. metalsynkk
    OP

metalsynkk Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2015
    Netherlands
    So quite some time ago I bought an R4 for my DSi (newest firmware, 1.4.5 I believe), it worked flawlessly, I could play all my games fine. A couple of days back, I got myself a secondhand 3DS XL, which was updated to 9.8.0-20E, and also some regular 3DS demo units which ran older firmware. The older units which still had version 1.0.0.0 firmware on them ran the R4 fine and I could play all the older NDS games, but the new one with 9.8.0 just spewed out an error.

So my main question is: is it possible to upgrade the 2013 version to support 9.8.0 (I only found kernels for 2015 models since all the sites have by long discontinued support for the 2013/2014 ones, and obviously those 2015 kernels don't work...), or is 9.8.0 simply too new?

I've read somewhere that the 2013 version supports up to 6.3.0 of the 3DS(XL), but I was just wondering if there is any way at all to make this older R4 work with the new firmware. If it doesn't I will prolly invest in a Sky3DS since it's also capable of playing 3DS titles, and if it does I can have a 2nd flashcard to hold an SD with the older GBA/NDS titles.

Thanks in advance. I did quite some reading but many things still confuse me since there are many options everywhere. I do want to understand this as much as I can.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice