R4 price raised

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by vivienne, Jun 27, 2008.

1. vivienne
    OP

vivienne Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008

2. Renegade_R

Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Apr 21, 2004
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    Because they are getting much more rare to find...plus there are millions of better options to choose from like the CycloDS, the SuperCard and the M3.

Don't buy the R4...its basically the worst card at the highest price as of now.

3. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Just buy another card, not the R4DS.
    My guess:

- The R4DS is very popular by noobs who buy it, so they raise the price
    - The R4DS is quite rare too receive, so there aren't many in stock, so they raise the price

4. Sephi

Sephi fool

Jan 21, 2008
    United States
    Rhode Island
    I wonder how the R4DS got so popular in the first place...

5. vivienne
    OP

vivienne Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    I knew that there are so many options now, such as CycloDS, the SuperCard and the M3.

So I think the R4 price should be reduced to get the advantage to compete with others.

However, it raised contrarily. Just cannot understand.

6. Sephi

Sephi fool

Jan 21, 2008
    United States
    Rhode Island
    It's just gotten overly popular some how, unexperienced buyers (noobs, young people, parents) thinking the R4 is great (still is though)

7. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    It was the first slot1 cart that could run any DS game without patching. In the time the updates were very fast, homebrew support was excellent and userbase was great.
    It was the first to set a new standard, that's why its so popular.

8. MR_COW

MR_COW GBAtemp Fan

Jul 18, 2006
    United States
    PA, USA
    The store is in charge of raising the price...not the R4 team.

9. ScuberSteve

ScuberSteve Newbie

Wrong, that was the AceKard...

10. Sephi

Sephi fool

Jan 21, 2008
    United States
    Rhode Island
    I was actually wondering if the R4 was the first 'good' flashcart, now I see.

11. SkH

SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2006
    Antigua and Barbuda
    But it had True Drag 'n' Drop! [​IMG]

And 100% compatibility with automatic save type detect! [​IMG]

12. Foie

Foie That one guy

Jun 15, 2006
    United States
    Clackamas, Oregon
    The R4 made a name for itself as the most simple and noob friendly flashcart on the market, while at the same time being relatively inexpensive. Now many (if not most) other flashcarts have not only surpassed it in quality, but their prices have become much cheaper as well. Yet among the technologically-impaired mass public, the general term for "DS Flashcart" has remained "R4". Because of this, it has immense popularity, and the vendors are able to raise the price for it while still having many sales.

That pretty much sums it up [​IMG]

13. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    The R4 was the best DS flashcart available when it was launched. It was the first one that ran games without a problem regardless of memory card speed, and that was a big deal in late '06. It also had some of the best support in the industry for a while, with quick updates to fix problem games, and major features added in updates (cheats, full download play compatibility). It was a very worthy cart for about a year.

Obviously, things have changed.

And as far as the Acekard goes, it didn't need patching, but it did need a special program to write games to the memory card because of its stupid file system. From an end user's point of view there in really no difference.

Edit: I forgot about the saves. The R4 was the first cart that didn't require you to either patch the roms or specify a save type. That was a huge deal for user friendliness.

Edit 2: Well, there was the DS-X, but that doesn't count does it?

Edit 3: According to those links, the R4 is only $26.99. Unless they're charging a lot for shipping that's not a high price compared to what the R4 has been going for, and it's cheaper that either of the other carts.

14. vivienne
    OP

vivienne Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    Sorry, I didn't notice the shipping cost.
    And as you said " From an end user's point of view there in really no difference.", it is unnecessary for me to pay high price for a Acekard inatead of R4?

15. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    From an end user's point of view there is no difference between having to use a program to patch every game and having to use a program to put every game on the card. Either way it's not drag & drop.

Keep in mind that we are talking about the Acekard here, not the Acekard+, Acekard R.P.G or Acekard 2. Those all came later.

16. Sephi

Sephi fool

Jan 21, 2008
    United States
    Rhode Island
    edit: I'm lost.

17. vivienne
    OP

vivienne Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    Things have changed so fast.

I don't know whether buy the current one or wait for the future one now.

I'm lost too!

18. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    there is a solution

SCDS1

19. bunnybreaker

bunnybreaker GBAtemp Fan

Jul 21, 2007
    I have an R4 (avec spring), and when I bought it, it was the best value for money with a good set of features, this was also before the influx of SDHC cards.

I'm very much happy with my R4 apart from the spring issue, but there is no way I would buy one now; not when there are cards that have more features and storage capacity for not much more (money).

20. mikagami

mikagami GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2007
    United States
    Can anyone fill me in what HUGE features other carts have over the R4? (other than SDHC...)