R4 plays GBA Roms?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by lilpotpie, May 1, 2007.

May 1, 2007

R4 plays GBA Roms? by lilpotpie at 7:37 AM (3,614 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. lilpotpie
    OP

Newcomer lilpotpie Member

United States
    Dear Bros,

I do realise that the R4 plays DS roms (legit), but what about GBA roms (legit)? More specifically, it seems that the R4 can boot DS rooms directly from the memory card, but can it do the same for GBA roms?

Is there anyway I can get the DS to play GBA roms?

Thanks!

lilpotpie

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    The R4 itself cannot play GBA roms. Only with a compatible (all of them should be, actually) slot 2 device can you play GBA (eg. EZ3in1, M3 Perfect line, G6, etc)

3. lilpotpie
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] man ... suddenly, my whole excitement and plan to buy a ds is suspended ...

i'm just such a big fan of platform games like supermario bros and all that ... the ds doesn't exactly have that kind of old school gaming

4. tjas

Member tjas The Gbatemp HRManager

Netherlands
    Why don't you buy a slot 2 card? Plays ds and gba... try the m3... And no ols school? It has castlevania 2d supermario bros sonic 2d...

5. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    there are some cards that go in the gba port and play ds and gba, the R4 cant play gba because it does not have the ram to do so.

6. lilpotpie
    OP

United States
    I mean with the GBA you get a whole list of mario games alone ... wiith the ds ... it's only one 2d mario game ... the other mario 64 ... is not what exactly i was thinking or looking for

I was relatively set on the R4 because people were RAVING about how awesome it is ... M3 seems to have some issues with some games ...

7. tjas

Netherlands
    No card is perfect, look for compatibility lists for the different cards, look which games you want and see if they work on the specific card

8. lilpotpie
    OP

United States
    Can I also just ask while we're here ...

How important is the stylus to gaming on the DS? Games like Mario, DK Kart, RPGs etc etc.

As I said I'm a realllly old school gamer (having said that, you'd probably guss my age really easily) ... stylus gmaing doesn't sound fun to me ... I already over use a stylus with my pda ...

Also, do you think Nintendo will publish old school 2d sorts of games ofr the ds, or is gonna keep pushing the stylus into the picture?

9. tjas

Netherlands
    The big feature of the ds is it's touchscreen--->stylus, and nintendo is selling millions so.. they won't drop the syles soon/ever.

10. 4saken

Australia
    ^ Then again, most games hardly use touch controls for anything out of the menu. I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to release some remade old school games

11. lilpotpie
    OP

United States
    Sorry to ask again, I've been screening game reviews all day to make sense of the importance of the stylus ... most reviews don't mention how the stylus works out in the game ...

Roughly, how much of the gaming is required to be down by stylus? - do they come in often in the main game such as mario kart etc. or more often in mini games?

12. lilpotpie
    OP

United States
    THANK YOU 4saken - that's the reply I've been hoping to hear so much.

I initially bought the psp because I cannot stand the stylus! But boy was I mistaken ..

13. 4saken

Australia
    Well I have a psp, and I don't recall many 2D remakes (except Metal Slug - which I was never very fond of). DS is the way to go. If you're looking to play some classics, try some emulation.

14. endgame

Newcomer endgame Member

United States
    As it has been said, the stylus on most games just lets you control the menu/settings of the game, with maybe one function in game. It's an added feature, don't let this bonus (however delightful to you or not) keep you from missing out on some great games!

15. ryohki

Member ryohki GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    so why, in the _system_ folder, is there gbaframe.bmp?

16. Sheky

Newcomer Sheky Newbie

I already got an R4 for NDS games.

So what's a good slot 2 solution to complement it for GBA games?

Specifically, it has to sit flush with the DS Lite with ease of use. Thanks.

17. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    What about the EZFlash 3 in 1 cart, that can allow you to play GBA roms using only a Slot-1 flash card like the R4. That could be an option for you guys.

18. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    It is there so when you boot a GBA game (official or GBA flashcart) it will be loaded and the image will appear in the black space normally around the GBA screen. Basically, R4 auto-launches itself (no way to stop it unless you take it out), since you can't go to the DS menu to launch your GBA with the R4 in they made it so when you press the right most button, it would "detect" whether the card in the GBA slot was meant for DS or GBA and use the frame if it is gba, or boot the GBA card like passme if it is DS/DS homebrew.

And once again, the DS's GBA mode has NO ACCESS to DS hardware, like the serial interface to the DS slot, the touch screen, the 2 extra buttons, the faster Arm9 cpu, extra memory... it is the way they made the DS work in GBA mode (aka: accurate).

19. Sheky

Newcomer Sheky Newbie

Sorry for being a noob, but there are a few variants of the EZflash cards that I've seen. What's the difference between them? Lite, Deluxe, 4, 5. I'm kind of confused. @_@

20. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    If you want the classics. Get emulators. The DS has good emulators but the GP2X has the best emulators and they are all pretty much perfect. PSONE emulation is alos happening at a slow rate from what I've seen though.