R4 out of stock everywhere...

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by mike1984, Mar 10, 2008.

Mar 10, 2008

R4 out of stock everywhere... by mike1984 at 1:15 PM (5,355 Views / 0 Likes) 36 replies

1. mike1984
    OP

Member mike1984 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Gameyeeeah and volumerate.com are all out of stock of the R4. Anyone have any clue if they will ever get anymore? Gameyeeeah is taking pre-orders but they have been out of stock for over 2 weeks now. Anyone hear any news? Also, would the DSTT be a suitable replacement? I sell R4's and I still want my customers to be happy with the product.

2. budrow66

Member budrow66 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://www.echostore.com/r4ds.html
    this place has them a little on the steep side
    Hope it helps oh ya i use this place often when i have to.
    always quick always have stock

3. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Thats where I got my R4 from back in Nov.for like 35$ or 40(I forget which one it was) since then they raised the price up like 10 bucks.......

4. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    The factory that produces R4s took a long break for Chinese New Years. People are still buyin em like crazy so this has lead to a shortage which could last as late as the end of the month. =/

DSTT is just fine but you shouldn't drop another product on them without warning. If I buy an R4 from a dealer I would expect an R4.

5. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've bought 4 R4's from Echostore. Haven't had a problem yet [​IMG] and that's why, even though they are $10 more on the average, I'll go back to them if/when I need another.

6. mike1984
    OP

Member mike1984 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    How sure are you that this will last only until the end of the month? Source?

7. Joe Schmoo

Newcomer Joe Schmoo Newbie

United States
    I ordered three of these from Echo Store recently. I had already put in an order to another site (in Hong Kong), but once I had in in my mind to get these I couldn't wait. I paid a premium of about $10 each over what I could have bought them for elsewhere, but for me it was WELL worth it. They shipped same day, with tracking info, and I received them in two days. I received the other orders from Hong Kong a couple of weeks later, so now I have extras. No regrets.

8. arsehat

Member arsehat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I don't know if there's much concrete information on this matter, but there have been severe shortages of these things in the past - like around August/September last year when the springless ones were released.

Volumerate are claiming that they're appearing later this month. The mysterious page at DealExtreme that I ordered some Chinese ones from on November 18 (yes, that's well after DX were supposed to have stopped selling the things altogether) indicates that they'll have stock coming in on March 15 - but the present price shown there is US$45.17 which is a bit rich for my blood. I paid US$40 each for some English ones from them in September last year, but I also paid US$23.63 each for some Chinese ones from them in June and wish I'd ordered lots more at that time. I've paid far more for them locally when I've needed to, but I usually have a few weeks notice of who wants what and prefer to get cheaper ones from overseas when I can. I expect they'll hit the market in a big way in the next month or so, and that prices will probably fall - although probably not to the June 2007 DX level. This all looks very much like what happened last August.

As for your customers, and substituting the DSTT... well, the standard menus on the DSTT don't support folders - which may or may not be a big thing to you or them. Stick 60 bits of trimmed shovelware on there though, and try navigating around an R4 or a DSTT and see which one "feels" better. My wife doesn't care about the folders and is happy with the DSTT - but my son finds scrolling for everything quite annoying. I guess it's a matter of what kind of expectations you've created among them. The DSTT works, and works well - but it does work a little differently from the R4, and for some people that's a problem. About the only things on the market that work just like an R4 these days are the R4 and the n5, and I don't believe there have been any full and objective reviews of the n5 yet - rumours of poor build quality and of poor battery life, but not much of substance. If/when new R4 stock appears in quantity I expect the n5 will either drop significantly in price or disappear from the market, as I don't believe its present pricepoint is sustainable if it has to go head-to-head with the R4. An SDHC R4 could probably command a premium over things like the DSTT, but the non-SDHC (which, functionally, is what the n5 acts like) probably couldn't for long.

That said, I may just have to get my friends used to the idea of a different card if prices don't come down significantly and/or the new SDHC version fails to materialise. Damn shame - most of them seem to prefer the R4's menus to others I've shown them - but that's life, and they've had 25 years of every VCR working differently from every other VCR to prepare them for that kind of thing.

9. ExDee

Member ExDee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hmm... Well, I just bought the R4 last month from Nxpgame.com. It was $45 then. Surprisingly, It is now $59.99!!! Well you can use a coupon which is a2007 for the website which is 10% of on all items.

and yes they are in stock in nxpgame.

How ever, if you will buy an R4, just buy a CycloDS Evo... it is cheaper than the R4 now a days and has better homebrew support

EDIT :

BTW. In DealExtreme.com, the N5 is up. It is an R4 clone. CLICK ME TO SEE. Well it also says revolution so yeah. Rofl I also think theyre in the same company. After reading too, i saw that it said "it will not run R4 firmware. It has it's own"

Plus, go to http://www.dsn5.com/index.files/en/index.htm It has the same text as the R4's webpage

10. Wedge

Newcomer Wedge Newbie

United States
    Even GameYeeeah has recently increased the orice up from around $33 USD last month to $45 USD now for pre-orders. Does anyone know if it's a simple case of supply and demand that (hopefully) will get back to normal at some point now that the Chinese New Year holiday is past, or was there a price increase at the manufactuer level?

Posts merged

Even GameYeeeah has recently increased the orice up from around $33 USD last month to $45 USD now for pre-orders. Does anyone know if it's a simple case of supply and demand that (hopefully) will get back to normal at some point now that the Chinese New Year holiday is past, or was there a price increase at the manufactuer level?

11. RaiDesu

Member RaiDesu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Perhaps an increase, due to recent Nintendo Raids.

12. retiredjerk

Member retiredjerk GBAtemp Regular

The R4 team have raised the price of the R4 by more than 10 UDS. Thats right ten dollars and from what i hear there is no sdhc support coming for at least a while if at all. The R4 team also no longer wants to sell to people in the US unless u buy large and i mean large quantites. Thiink tens of thousands at once. The price increase will stay everywhere. 45 will be the new low price. Expect the new retail price to be 55. The price increase is to makeup for lost U.S. Sales.

13. ExDee

Member ExDee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Rofl good thing I bought it when it was like $35. well thats maximum gaylord too... I think the CycloDS Evo is better. Sadly, I already bought the r4. Anyways, due to the r4's hype, alot of ppl are buying it when they dont know that there are better flashcards. I STILL LOVE MY R4 THOUGH [​IMG]

14. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    My source was the information relayed from the R4 distributor to this vendor. You'll need an SA account to view it though. Word is not straight from the horse's mouth. The "end of the month" figure I gave was based on one of many now-conflicting letters to my usual vendor from R4's distributor.
    These last couple months the information that the R4 distributor gives has been constantly contradictory, rare, and vague. The most recent gave no real expected dates.

Based on the lack of contiguous information R4 is providing it's vendors, I'd speculate that they don't have their act together as much. A Price hike has been confirmed by the distributor and at least two vendors.

You don't have to take this word as fact but the source has no reason to lie. No vendor has any idea what the hell at the moment.

tl;dr version - My source was R4's distributor which is NOT reliable anymore.

What retiredjerk says matches up with my (current) information. Something is very wrong in the world of R4. They seem to be spending less time on their flashcard and more time rolling around in piles of money. there hasn't been an update at ages and we haven't seen production since January. Maybe the money's all going up their noses? =P

15. striderx

Member striderx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sheez guys...

Check the latest value of the USD against any world currency and get back to us. You can thank the moron in the White House for that.

striderx

16. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Explain to your customers that your supplier is currently out of stock, and offer to substitute a "superior product" (EDGE, DSTT, Supercard, whatever), or a refund.

17. OzModChips

Member OzModChips GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    We just ran out

Nothing has been shipped to us since late December....thats how far we plan in advance!

We have had a big fat warning on our website for over a month......but people just continue to buy it

http://www.ozmodchips.com/r4-ds-r4ds-p-25.html

Have a read and tell me what you think [​IMG]

The price didn't go up by $10 usd, don't be retarded. Maybe it did to people buying 50 or 100 at a time to pretty tell you to F/O.
    R4s story is a supply shortage of actel ICs, Customs issue etc. Whether or not it is true...who knows.

They did say though that they will begin shipping again maybe on week starting the 23rd...
    They are never truly accurate, but they are never too far off.

Hopefully the time off will give everyone a chance to realize that while the R4 has had its time at the top its about time people discover the better cards out there. CycloDs is gaining insane popularity, a customer have never complained to us about the new cyclo evos.
    We have had a couple of complaints about the M3 Real, being slow etc- but i'm sure everyone will love m3 sakura.

18. bclowe

Newcomer bclowe Advanced Member

United States
    there are a few r4s on amazon.com, but they're $60.

19. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    So what you're all basically saying is that there is a common and expanding market strategy to throw the R4DS off the market due to its obsoleteness and substitute it with a "superior product"?

20. DarkUli

Member DarkUli GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    To me, I think the R4 team have milked it's cow long enough, time to spend some time on developing another product.

That, or Nintendo has a hand on this, R4 was getting veeeeery~ popular.